PDA

View Full Version : Newb Boat Questions

Mad Caddy
07-24-2018, 10:47 AM
I’m looking at buying my first boat so the kids and I can fish and have a little fun in the lake. I’m wondering what are some standard questions to be asking or things to look for when buying used? I assume it’s not common to test drive boats like you would a car (right!?), but there must be a way people function test everything while in storage? Any common points of failure in a used boat to be looking at? Common questions to ask?

bearbuster
07-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Actually, I have sold 2 boats and both we went for a test drive. If there is a lake near by, I wouldnt hesitate to ask for one.Im no mechanic but if it starts runs smooth and looks generally well kept I would be satisfied. However, look at the shape of the interior, well kept? Look under the boat, does it appear to be beached alot, or damage from rocks or a couple rough trailer loadings. To me this would reflect generally the kind of care was put into in it

Chris84
07-24-2018, 11:44 AM
My advise would be to get a pre-purchase inspection. I'm not sure what your budget is, but a pre-purchase inspection is a must if you don't know what you're looking for.

There are so many things to look for. If it is a fiberglass boat, be sure to see if it has been damaged or patched in the past, be sure to check the condition of the transom (very costly and/or time consuming repair if it breaks), you want to check the compression on the motor, make sure there are no signs of water in the leg oil, check the skeg for signs of impact (props are easy to replace, but the skeg condition can be telling).

I would definitely try and take it for a test drive on a lake, you want to make sure that the hole shot performance is ok and that it planes properly. You also want to make sure that the steering is working properly.

I am by no means an expert or a mechanic, but what I listed above are some of the things I have been taught to look for. Hopefully others with more experience than me can chime in, but this would be a start.

Good Luck,

Chris

Puma
07-24-2018, 12:31 PM
If its a larger vessel always take a test drive, and take a friend who knows something about boats and motors.

If it's just a small tinner, have the seller run the motor with water muffs or in a bucket or barrel for you. Have them get a garden hose to put some water into the boat to see if there are any leaks.

Check over the trailer for frame cracks, tire wear, a valid VIN etc.

SamSteele
07-24-2018, 12:36 PM
You don't say what size or style of boat you are thinking of. A small 14' tinner with a 15 or 20 hp outboard would be pretty easy to look over. Things to look for are compression on the motor, water in the leg oil, damage to the lower unit, etc. Most boat shops will look them over for you, checking all the above as well as pressure testing the lower unit to ensure the seals are good.

For the boat itself I would look for any bubbling or flex in the transom, indicating rot. An easy way to tell is with the OB motor tilted up, lift up on the leg. If there is flex in the transom there is cause for concern. I would also look for any loose rivets (assuming it is riveted) as these can leak. They aren't difficult to replace, but if there are some it would be a cause for negotiation so you have room in the budget to fix them. Some folks fill the boat with some water to see if it leaks anywhere, indicating leaky rivets or cracks.

Finally, check the trailer wiring, lights, tires, and hubs. If there is excessive side to side play in the wheels you will probably need to do the bearings or hubs on the trailer. If the tires are unevenly worn its an indication that the axle can be bent (which happens more than you think due to weight in the boat while trailering and the bare minimum of trailers being under the boats).

If you are getting into fiberglass boats with floors and such, there is a lot more to go through. Check for any soft spots in the floor. Stick your head in the compartments and look for signs of rot. Check the hull for any fiberglass repair areas.

Hopefully that helps. And as mentioned, you can always ask to take it for a test run somewhere. At the very least you can put muffs on the motor and start it in the driveway at an idle. Don't rev it up though as the muffs often do not supply enough water for anything more than an idle. Reving it out can damage the water pump.

SS

Willowtrail
07-24-2018, 04:02 PM
I am selling a 18’9” boat with a 135 HO Etec on it if that’s what you’re looking for.
2015 Alumacraft Dominator 185 LE

Could take it for a test drive if you’d like. Can email or text pics as well.

It’s in mint shape, only used 1 year and then I got a sponsor for a different boat so I don’t use it anymore.

old dog
07-26-2018, 07:30 PM
All good points. I would take someone who knows boats to go with u to look

Mad Caddy
07-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Sorry for the delayed response and thanks for the feedback. The boat I’ve been looking at is an older model Lund pro sport. It looks like it’s got all the features I would want so I actually went and had a look at it today. Cosmetically everything looks pretty good (considering how old it is). I didn’t have time for a real detailed look but I’m considering going out for a test run tomorrow. It has a 115 Johnson two stroke. I’m not overly mechanical and because it’s the original motor it’s probavly my biggest worry. They say it runs good (we’ll see!) and that the only maintenance they did on it was change the plugs (it was a trade). Anyone have any feedback on these boats/motors? It seems like the lunds hold their value well?

bobalong
07-31-2018, 07:12 PM
I don't own a Lund but know many who do, they are a good solid boat. Boats can last for decades if you look after them. Depending on the age of the boat check for cracks in the transom, power trim, steering linkage, and grease in the axles.

I had a boat when I got married but upgraded to an 18 1/2 Sylvan with a 115 Mariner to accommodate our growing family. I have had this boat for almost 25 years and it still runs great, with only having done regular maintenance (plugs, grease axles and lower leg oil) on it.

If you don't have a shop always keep the boat tarped, sun is killer on boats. Tarps are cheap and will keep your boat looking like new, inside and out.

Good luck with the boat shopping, a boat is one of the greatest family recreational "toys" you will every buy and will give you thousands of great memories. :)

dutchpirate
07-31-2018, 08:57 PM
... It has a 115 Johnson two stroke. I’m not overly mechanical and because it’s the original motor it’s probably my biggest worry...

My Force 120 2 stroke is a 1999 model year and still runs great. As others have said, proper maintenance is key. It's handy that it runs 50:1 so when I add a 25L jerry can of gas, I can add a 500ml 2 stroke oil and the math works out.

EZM
07-31-2018, 09:05 PM
1) Make sure the boat fits in the garage ! look at both height and length of trailer (and folded tongue).

2) Get the best model/brand you can afford. Lund, Crestliner, AlumaCraft are great options. Quality = Longevity.

3) Get something bigger than you THINK you need for the family.

4) Get a good outboard - look for a Yamaha or Honda IMO.

The rest of the stuff depends on looking at the leg, watching it start up and listening to it run, looking for obvious signs of damage, condition of batteries, etc...

Puma
07-31-2018, 11:08 PM
Something to look for is the amount of cooling water discharged out the weep hole while its running. Should be a strong steady stream.Impellers should be changed out every +/- five years.

walleyechaser
08-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Main thing to look for in a fishing boat is space and weight limit. Make sure you have enough of both to comfortably fish with you and family + all gear.

Good quality fish finders are another thing to look for. If you find a boat with 1 or 2 good fish finders it will save you thousands

Check the wear on the trailer

Look for the best motor you can afford. Yamaha is best. Merc, evinrude, Honda are not too far behind

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Poppa
08-02-2018, 09:53 AM
Really appreciate this thread...we'll be going through something similar after our wedding next year. Biggest thing I got out of this thread, so far: I'm going to make friends with someone that knows boats, or is at least a mechanic of some sort, before I buy anything. I'm not even the least bit handy, so I'd be a total mess without someone who knows what they're looking for...

thanks again to everyone who contributed so far!

thorne
08-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Yes....experience with boats is a huge thing to have with you when buying. Either yours or someone's else's...inboard/outboard..2 vs 4 stroke..differences in drives, props, hulls and all the fun stuff you will surely get all to familiar with yourself. I bought my first boat new to avoid the unsure aspect....I know know that you can buy 3x the boat used with very little hours in New shape if you know what to look for and where to look. My second boat is 12 years old with only 64 hours on it and its Waaayyy more boat then my last one. It was in perfect condition all around and I paid less then my new one and got 10X the boat. It would of been $80,000.00 of if bought this one new....but I paid under 30....so find someone with experience, get a good used boat with low hours (lots out there in AB) and save $$$$.

Poppa
08-03-2018, 04:31 PM
hey something that I think fits in this thread: Boat storage.

I know a lot of people have a garage, or they've got room to the side of the house or whatever. I have a parking pad in front of my house, and not quite enough room along the side. Does anyone use off-site storage for their boat? What's the going rate? I've seen 50/month as about the best "deal" so far, but even that seems really high...

58thecat
08-03-2018, 05:35 PM
17 foot fish and ski,open bow, Bimini top for shade, yes a test ride is a must, go over it with a fine tooth comb, if it's dirty, torn seats scratched up etc walk away.

Take someone with you that knows boats, check out the going rates for similar boats, don't rush in, take your time.

Don_Parsons
08-03-2018, 06:25 PM