PDA

View Full Version : Perch report - garner/cross lake

Fishwhere
07-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Hey guys,

Bit of a heads up that i hit these 2 lakes recently and i was really hoping the perch had bounced back. Turns out neither of them have after doing a lot of searching that i could find. Unless they were in less than about 8ft lf water which they definitely shouldnt be this time of year - we didnt see much, and caught even less. On the flip side we did catch some decent walleye, not intentionally out of garner. And out of cross we got quite a few pike in the 50-58cm range, but we let them all go as well.

A small sidebar question is what is the pike limit/size on cross/steele lake?

I keep getting different info. Some are saying 3 any size, and some are saying 3 @ 63cms. If it is 3 at 63cms then the CO’s need to get out there and maybe put up a sign clarifying the regulations because most people there are keeping any size of pike they catch. Maybe people are getting confused with new regulaton style.

Tight lines

Fishwhere
07-25-2018, 07:51 AM
I called fishin hole for regs when i was out on water. And theyre right according to the regs - its definitely 3 over 63cms. Lots of people keeping pike there thinking its no size limit. I had heard rumors of this as well, so im assuming it started from misinformation spreading i guess

MathewsArcher
07-25-2018, 08:19 AM
deleted.

Fishwhere
07-25-2018, 08:39 AM
Are you sure? Because the top of the column says 63cm. So i am assuming that it meant 3 @ 63 unless otherwise stated.

MathewsArcher
07-25-2018, 09:17 AM
I deleted my comment while I confirmed the response with the Calgary F&W office and I would recommend doing so yourself with the local office.

As there is no dot under NRPK the default regulation would not apply. The number 3 with no size limit listed indicates a size limit does not apply. Again this is the interpretation I received from the Calgary office, I would urge checking with your local office as well.

This makes sense as in PP1 where for walleye the default is 3 over 50, with some lakes listed as 1 over 50 and spruce coulee for example 3 no size limit.

enduro155
07-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Steele lake is indeed 3 of any size, that was what the CO told me direct when i was out there last week.

Fishwhere
07-25-2018, 09:31 AM
I think you guys are right. Thank you.

I will call the COs as well.

New2Elk
07-25-2018, 09:22 PM
I believe the 3 of any size is correct. Mywildalberta.ca also lists some corrections to the printed regulations including correcting the legend info with the text “of any size” in one of the notes.

pikeman06
07-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Shame about a couple formerly decent perch fisheries just a distant memory...no perch stocking or managed perch fisheries in alberta so they gone for good. Hard to have any natural reproduction when the wallies gobble up anything even resembling a juvenile perch