PDA

View Full Version : Charger life

Freedom55
07-26-2018, 06:56 AM
I'm wondering if 10 hours is too long for a dual bank 10 amp charger to fully restore two group 27 deep cycle batteries after a long day of trolling.

Batteries are two years old, the Cabela's charger is five.

Free

dodgeboy1979
07-26-2018, 09:47 AM
best way to check would be to put an amp meter on the leads from the charger and see if you are getting 10 amps. It does seem long though. Have you checked the fluid level in your batteries?

bobalong
07-26-2018, 11:33 AM
I believe 10 hours would do it easily, especially with a 10 amp charger.

Teamprotz
07-26-2018, 02:31 PM
My cabelas charger died on the deep cycle side but works when switched to gel, works good now, check battery fluid, top up if necessary , should fully charge in that amount of time

EZM
07-26-2018, 06:58 PM
That's pretty much the time you should expect I think. My on board "pro charger", when plugged in takes about 8.5 to 9 hours if the 2 batteries are drained dead.

Not sure what makes these units "pro chargers" versus "recreational series" chargers (other than costing more money) but I would be happy with that (10hrs).

old dog
07-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Most chargers also go on a maintenance mode once fully charged. I plug in at the end of the day and next morning they r all charged back up. PS. I would not charge when it’s a hot day and the boat is covered up. It’s hard on the batteries and the charger, it gets very hot under that boat cover

Willowtrail
07-26-2018, 10:32 PM
Are you saying a 2 bank 10amp therefore 5 amps per side?

If so, 10 hours is right

cube
08-01-2018, 12:11 PM
I'm wondering if 10 hours is too long for a dual bank 10 amp charger to fully restore two group 27 deep cycle batteries after a long day of trolling.

Batteries are two years old, the Cabela's charger is five.

Free

Sounds about right. The good chargers take temperature into affect. So mine will take a fair bit longer on hot days or if the batteries are covered.

cube
08-01-2018, 12:52 PM
That's pretty much the time you should expect I think. My on board "pro charger", when plugged in takes about 8.5 to 9 hours if the 2 batteries are drained dead.

Not sure what makes these units "pro chargers" versus "recreational series" chargers (other than costing more money) but I would be happy with that (10hrs).

The Pro has 15 amps/bank vs 6 amps/bank for the recreational series.

The Pro has Delta Volt Intuitive charging technology (http://www.dualpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Delta-Volt-Marketing-Insert.pdf)

The Pro has fully automatic multi stage charging (5 stages) vs 2 (basically charge plus a float)

Pro has on board diagnostic codes

Pro has Temperature compensation

Pro has advanced microprocessor control.