PDA

View Full Version : Prince rupert

Fishhunter
07-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Has anyone gone to the Khutzeymateen this time of year to see the Bears?
I know it's best in the spring,we want to go in a couple weeks but not if its going to be a waste of time.

Ken07AOVette
07-26-2018, 08:33 AM
I was talking to a guy that works in the reserve and it is loaded with bears. At least 2 weeks ago.

Fishhunter
07-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Thanks Ken. I will check it out. if no bears always nice to see some new country.

warriorboy10
07-26-2018, 11:50 PM
Khutzeymateen is controlled by the locals and only a few guide outfits have permission to get near the estuary. I was told there is a watch shack once inside the Khutzemateen and unauthorized vessels will be turned around. So do some further research.

walleyechaser
07-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Has anyone gone to the Khutzeymateen this time of year to see the Bears?
I know it's best in the spring,we want to go in a couple weeks but not if its going to be a waste of time.I went around this time, albeit quite a few years ago. There were bears everywhere. Quite a surreal experience. One the most beautiful places I have been too

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Fishhunter
07-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I heard they only let 2 commercial outfits take people in and private boaters are fine but that's just hearsay and we all know how that goes.

Dark
07-27-2018, 06:13 PM
We went last year in the beginning of July. The public is welcome, the watchmen (Norm and Al, good guys)charge you $15.00 per boat to cover their watching fee's lol. You have to check in at their floating lodge.
You can only go up the inlet a little past the watchmen's lodge.
They allow you to anchor for one night only.
Something that we did not know is you are not supposed to go to shore for the entire 18 mile inlet, it is a conservatory reserved for wildlife and first nations only, so we where told by the watchmen. We had our lab with us and planned on overnighting. We made it work lol
We did see 7 different bears in the couple of days we where there.
We will go again

Fishhunter
07-27-2018, 07:48 PM
We went last year in the beginning of July. The public is welcome, the watchmen (Norm and Al, good guys)charge you $15.00 per boat to cover their watching fee's lol. You have to check in at their floating lodge.
You can only go up the inlet a little past the watchmen's lodge.
They allow you to anchor for one night only.
Something that we did not know is you are not supposed to go to shore for the entire 18 mile inlet, it is a conservatory reserved for wildlife and first nations only, so we where told by the watchmen. We had our lab with us and planned on overnighting. We made it work lol
We did see 7 different bears in the couple of days we where there.
We will go again

Good info thanks. Sounds like a must see!!!!

Ken07AOVette
07-27-2018, 08:03 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/khutzeymateen/