PDA

View Full Version : Calling lake rwport

capper
07-29-2018, 06:47 AM
Haven’t been to calling in 4-5 years so me and the old man went out for the earlier half of the day to wet some lines. The weather was hot and windless but it didn’t seem to slow the fishing much. We had a great morning with the biggest being 64cm. We caught about 30 Walters, 2 perch and pike in the first few hours. we then Took a tour around the lake to mark some spots since our old gps died and we were really surprised at the algae in the n.w corner. Really thick and blue green starting to boom. We didn’t even fish that side of the lake as neither of us wanted to get covered in crud. Anyways fishing was great, the first launch at the p.p is shallow (the more east launch) and has no dock but the other launch looked better and has a dock on each side of the launch. If you do launch at the first launch just go slow, there is a bit of a hole about 12ft out on the west side of launch where the ramp blocks have shifted. Tight lines.

Drewski Canuck
07-29-2018, 08:52 PM
A south wind had been blowing in Thursday and pushed the algae to the NW Corner.

Did you go over to the Rock Island River? When the Algae is bad, the muskeg - acid water from the Rock Island River stops the algae for about 1 is mile out from the river mouth. There is a great sandy beach on the point where the river comes out which is fantastic for swimming as well.

But yes, lake was very bad for this early. Water levels are high and the algae is being flushed out over night. By mid after noon if there is no wind, and it is hot, the algae is bad again.

That being said trolling anything in front of the townsite from a white double tail Jig to a Canadian Wiggler to a green flatfish caught fish in 8 - 14 FOW, many many over, and two fat jacks that scaled 8 - 9 #.

Now the Blue berries and Saskatoons are not algae covered and are very good this year if the water is a turn off up there.

By the way, what was the size of the perch? They are making a come back but so far just ice fishing they are being caught regularly.

Drewski

capper
07-30-2018, 10:15 AM
The perch were 10.5” and 11”. Was an accidental catch while trolling for walleye. We tried to anchor over where we caught them and jig but didn’t catch anymore. Fingers crossed the perch make a comeback!!

Drewski Canuck
07-30-2018, 11:19 AM
The Perch are about the size caught on average in the winter, with some much bigger caught as a bonus.

I must confess I have yet to go on a real perch hunt in the summer.

Problem with open water perch at Calling is that they are scattered and the lake has a lot of 20 FOW areas.

That being said, I do plan on anchoring up and trying with small leeches or maggots one day soon.

I am told that in the 1980's Calling was a factory of 2 # perch from the old timers who live at the lake.

Drewski

NSR Fisher
07-30-2018, 02:52 PM
I was up at Calling lake the weekend before last. Courtesy of DrewskiCanuck, who was generous enough to let me and two friends camp at his cabin.

The lake was already starting to get green at that point and I believe the reports of thicker algae. It looked like it was just about to bloom when we were there.

Lots of Walleye of all sizes in front of the townsite, you couldn't keep them off. I found trolling / drifting very slowly using a Mr. Twister black or green colored worked wonders. 10 to 15 feet of water was the ticket. We had quite a bit of wind blowing so we would just putz out 300 feet from shore at an angle and let the wind drift us back in. Caught more floating back to shore than trolling away from it. I even tried a size 0 five of diamons and didn't stop catching haha.

We moved to the north side of the lake (east of Calling River) on the second day and got into quite a few healthy looking pike in the weed beds there.

I didn't pack a scale but several were in the 35 to 40 inch range and all were very thick fish. The largest of them may have topped 15 to 18 pounds if I were to give a rough estimate. 8 feet of water with pencil weeds was the ticket.

Will post pictures in this thread later if I can find them.

NSR Fisher
08-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Sorry, just re-read my post and noticed a major mistake. I meant east of the Rock Island River on the north end, any further east of the Calling river and you're fishing in the woods lol... fkn' typo's.

Roger1661
08-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Can you tell me where the algae is and not being a calling lake expert is it fishable with what’s on there. Saskatchewan fisher and we don’t have near the problem.
Thx