PDA

View Full Version : TFH Wall to Wall Sale

CBintheNorth
08-10-2018, 10:59 PM
Anyone know when it starts?
I've got quite the shopping list this year.:)

smitty9
08-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Pretty much always the 3rd week of August. I'm betting 22nd to 25th.

RavYak
08-11-2018, 12:03 PM
I think it is that weekend if I remember right, maybe starts the Friday? Dates were either posted or mentioned last time I was in the store but I knew I wouldn't be around at that time.

smitty9
08-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Typically, the sale starts on Wed or Thur, ends Saturday. It usually does not last until Sunday.

Willowtrail
08-11-2018, 09:12 PM
It's Wednesday the 22 till Saturday the 25th.

I'll be helping out at both stores this year.

CBintheNorth
08-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys!

smi_tty
08-12-2018, 09:59 PM
What kind of deals are we talking about?????

RavYak
08-12-2018, 10:06 PM

25% on most things in store, the odd things like electronics might be less and any clearance items and the odd other sale items will be 30-50% off.

smi_tty
08-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Sounds like its worth a trip in!

calgarygringo
08-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Some stuff is decent priced and some no different than anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale. As always buyer beware.

smitty9
08-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Some stuff is decent priced and some no different than anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale. As always buyer beware.

Hmmm. Ok, well, not sure where you're coming from on buyer beware...it's a universal principle, is there a reason you think it especially applies to the TFH wall to wall sale? Most people comparison shop anyways these days, since the internet makes it so easy. The other point of view on buyer beware is about private sales, but TFH is store, with generally a pretty good reputation for customer service so...

'anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale'...yes, I agree that's quite true. Except, there's no predicting when other places are having a sale. In Edmonton, where I live, there's only Cabela's now (no more WS) and a new fly shop (Reid's) in the west end. Neither has predictable sales on stuff I want.

The GREAT thing about TFH wall to wall sale is that I have been able to COUNT on it...for years. Always 3rd week of August. I'd say half my fly rods were bought at this sale because I was able to plan for it. And the do have some smoking good deals on high end stuff; all the good stuff I have was bought at least 40% off. Plus, re-stocking flies, leaders, and tippet etc.

I like supporting other businesses, including the fly shops in Calgary - though, less now that we have Reid's - but none of them have a predictable sale like TFH wall to wall.

smitty9
08-13-2018, 11:42 AM

Just an aside to piggyback on RavYak's comment; margins on electronics are not huge, so they are typically only 10% (or maybe 15%) off.

There's always a few items that are 40% to 50% off, though it is mostly 20% to 25%.

Nice name. :)

Big Racks
08-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Can anyone confirm what items/brands are generally excluded from the sale? I called the South Edmonton store to confirm availability of a Moby net I've had my eye on, and if they were going to be on sale. Had a thought and asked about a couple of Islander reels and spools I purchased a couple of weeks ago, still sitting new in the boxes, and wanted to know if I should be returning them to repurchase at sale time. I was told Islander and Sage were excluded due to manufacturer agreements. That was a little contradictory to what I had seen here so phoned the West Ed store and asked the same question, was told everything, even Islanders, would be on sale.

Don't get me wrong, both fellows I talked to were very friendly and helpful, and took the time to chat with me, but I'm a bit confused by the two different answers from the two different locations.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Poppa
08-13-2018, 02:13 PM
Last year I got a smokin' deal with a Shimano Clarus rod on for 40% off. I think I like it even more than my Fenwick. Cousin had a bunch of gear stolen from his truck in Winnipeg (including a St Croix rod and Shimano reel) so we're gonna be doing some re-upping at the sale in a couple weeks!

RavYak
08-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Can anyone confirm what items/brands are generally excluded from the sale? I called the South Edmonton store to confirm availability of a Moby net I've had my eye on, and if they were going to be on sale. Had a thought and asked about a couple of Islander reels and spools I purchased a couple of weeks ago, still sitting new in the boxes, and wanted to know if I should be returning them to repurchase at sale time. I was told Islander and Sage were excluded due to manufacturer agreements. That was a little contradictory to what I had seen here so phoned the West Ed store and asked the same question, was told everything, even Islanders, would be on sale.

Don't get me wrong, both fellows I talked to were very friendly and helpful, and took the time to chat with me, but I'm a bit confused by the two different answers from the two different locations.

If I remember right Islander reels are exempt. Not many items that fall into that category but I think they are one of them. Not sure about Sage. The answer likely differed because not every employee knows or cares about what does and does not go on sale or for how much(even managers don't know for sure until they get the price lists from head office). At this point in time the employees will just be guessing at what the sales will be same as what we are here(based on knowledge of what has happened in past years).

If you were willing to buy the gear at regular price why be a pain in the you know what and make the store jump through hoops doing a return then repurchasing... If I want sale pricing I wait for an item to go on sale. I don't buy something for more then I am willing to pay and I have never gone back to a store and asked them to give me money back after that fact... Guess that is just the way I think/operate though.

Also a note to people is that TFH does not do returns during the wall to wall sale.

Big Racks
08-13-2018, 08:02 PM
If I remember right Islander reels are exempt. Not many items that fall into that category but I think they are one of them. Not sure about Sage. The answer likely differed because not every employee knows or cares about what does and does not go on sale or for how much(even managers don't know for sure until they get the price lists from head office). At this point in time the employees will just be guessing at what the sales will be same as what we are here(based on knowledge of what has happened in past years).

If you were willing to buy the gear at regular price why be a pain in the you know what and make the store jump through hoops doing a return then repurchasing... If I want sale pricing I wait for an item to go on sale. I don't buy something for more then I am willing to pay and I have never gone back to a store and asked them to give me money back after that fact... Guess that is just the way I think/operate though.

Also a note to people is that TFH does not do returns during the wall to wall sale.

I don't recall asking if anyone thought it was a good idea to return/exchange a new item that was gong on sale, only if this particular item may or may not be exempt. Thanks for the info on the sale exemptions, I appreciate the info and it confirms what I suspected. I'm used to most sales exempting some lines, it's not unexpected. I don't mind paying the full price for the items, but if an item can be purchased at 20% off (in this case that would be approximately $300), I'm not independently wealthy enough to ignore those savings, especially when they can then be spent on more items in the store :).

bobalong
08-13-2018, 11:47 PM

Sage and Islander are price protected unless the product has been discontinued. I believe at times TFH have given out a
25, 35 etc gift card or 50% of a line with every Sage rod, Islander reel purchased.:):)

calgarygringo
08-14-2018, 06:54 AM
Never said anything bad about the sale just there are items that are not as great of a deal as people think as they get caught in the hype. Just like staff used to buy at Cabelas/Bass Pro/WSS sometimes as there sale prices were better than staff pricing at TFH.

And yes I have ran the sale so I do know what it is all about first hand.

Hmmm. Ok, well, not sure where you're coming from on buyer beware...it's a universal principle, is there a reason you think it especially applies to the TFH wall to wall sale? Most people comparison shop anyways these days, since the internet makes it so easy. The other point of view on buyer beware is about private sales, but TFH is store, with generally a pretty good reputation for customer service so...

'anywhere else that has fishing gear on sale'...yes, I agree that's quite true. Except, there's no predicting when other places are having a sale. In Edmonton, where I live, there's only Cabela's now (no more WS) and a new fly shop (Reid's) in the west end. Neither has predictable sales on stuff I want.

The GREAT thing about TFH wall to wall sale is that I have been able to COUNT on it...for years. Always 3rd week of August. I'd say half my fly rods were bought at this sale because I was able to plan for it. And the do have some smoking good deals on high end stuff; all the good stuff I have was bought at least 40% off. Plus, re-stocking flies, leaders, and tippet etc.

I like supporting other businesses, including the fly shops in Calgary - though, less now that we have Reid's - but none of them have a predictable sale like TFH wall to wall.

calgarygringo
08-14-2018, 06:56 AM
You are correct that is exactly how it works and how they get around it. Especially Sage they are really tight on that policy. Pain in the butt at checkout but it works.

Sage and Islander are price protected unless the product has been discontinued. I believe at times TFH have given out a
25, 35 etc gift card or 50% of a line with every Sage rod, Islander reel purchased.:):)

happyfisher
08-14-2018, 10:40 PM
are salt water lures on sale? when the sale happens that is...lol

going to PV mexico so might as well stock up!!

tnx

happy

happyfisher
08-16-2018, 09:32 PM
I'll be there Wednesday at 9!!! will there be a line up? should I get there early???? lol

tnx

happy

RavYak
08-16-2018, 09:51 PM
I'll be there Wednesday at 9!!! will there be a line up? should I get there early???? lol

tnx

happy

People used to line up years ago but with the economy etc in recent years I don't believe many people do anymore.

Willowtrail
08-16-2018, 10:19 PM
Talked to one of the Edmonton managers today. Everything in the store will be on sale, nothing protected. I'll be at south Edmonton store 9 am Wednesday, see you there

happyfisher
08-17-2018, 12:08 AM
I'm in calgary....but we can still be connected by fishing ESP:bad_boys_20:

smi_tty
08-17-2018, 01:25 AM
How are the deals on new reels? Are there some up to 50 percent off? Just trying to figure out if its worth a trip down to the other end of the city. Amazon has some great pricing on reels, but this sale might be a better deal? That and i have been needing to stock up on a thousand jig heads!

yada
08-17-2018, 02:32 AM
How are the deals on new reels? Are there some up to 50 percent off? Just trying to figure out if its worth a trip down to the other end of the city. Amazon has some great pricing on reels, but this sale might be a better deal? That and i have been needing to stock up on a thousand jig heads!

I think they are normally 25% off but they always have a couple for around 40% if my memory is correct.

Also be careful of reels on amazon. A lot of the "high bearing" reels that are like 50 bucks are complete trash (personal experience). I tend to stick with more well known brands personally.

ghostguy6
08-17-2018, 08:14 AM
Talked to one of the Edmonton managers today. Everything in the store will be on sale, nothing protected. I'll be at south Edmonton store 9 am Wednesday, see you there

Hopefully I will be dropping by around 4, I need a new trout rod.

smi_tty
08-17-2018, 01:10 PM
I think they are normally 25% off but they always have a couple for around 40% if my memory is correct.

Also be careful of reels on amazon. A lot of the "high bearing" reels that are like 50 bucks are complete trash (personal experience). I tend to stick with more well known brands personally.

Not looking for a cheapo - I'm looking at getting a namebrand one, but wasnt sire if this sale would have name brand reels on sale.

pinelakeperch
08-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Not looking for a cheapo - I'm looking at getting a namebrand one, but wasnt sire if this sale would have name brand reels on sale.

I don't recall TFH carrying any reels that weren't name brand. They do have entry level reels, but they're still Shimano, Pflueger, Quantum, etc.

Justfishin73
08-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Did I miss this sale--or is it next weekend?

calgarygringo
08-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Most items especially rods and reels 25 off. Electronics 10 off and clearance items 40 or 50 most times but is usually stuff nobody wants anyways. A few things that are price controlled will be different as well.

Willowtrail
08-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Did I miss this sale--or is it next weekend?

It starts tomorrow at 9am

Willowtrail
08-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Most items especially rods and reels 25 off. Electronics 10 off and clearance items 40 or 50 most times but is usually stuff nobody wants anyways. A few things that are price controlled will be different as well.

That’s the beauty of this sale. There is no price protected and it’s minimum 20% off.

Sonar, downriggers, tents and augers if any left over are going to be 20% off. Only time it happens all year

Willowtrail
08-21-2018, 06:28 PM
https://www.thefishinhole.com/?action=SpecialEvent.WallToWallSale

ghostguy6
08-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Hey Willowtrail, if you at the store now, tell them to fix their poster, it would be kind of hard to catch fish without any reels on those rods :lol:

https://www.thefishinhole.com/images/campaign/W2W/2018/Wall-To-Wall-Sale-2018-Top-Landing.jpg

curtz
08-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Anyone know when it starts?
I've got quite the shopping list this year.:)

Thanks for the reminder, I have a appointment in the city today, deffiently stopping in.

calgarygringo
08-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Maybe we have all been doing it wrong.:)

Hey Willowtrail, if you at the store now, tell them to fix their poster, it would be kind of hard to catch fish without any reels on those rods :lol:

https://www.thefishinhole.com/images/campaign/W2W/2018/Wall-To-Wall-Sale-2018-Top-Landing.jpg

CBintheNorth
08-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Just got back from the south store.
Maybe it's just me, but selection of rods and reels seems to be down?
Rods are the standard 25% as are most reels and pretty well everything in the store. Some reels were 40%.
Loaded up on Fish Crisp too.
If there's no more Roasted Garlic & Butter, I'm sorry.:)

happyfisher
08-22-2018, 06:31 PM
I just dumped 450 bucks today!!! lol

Big Racks
08-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Wow, what a day!! That was like Christmas in August, lol. I would’ve been losing money by NOT spending money, or so it felt anyways.

Islander reels are all 25% off, that’s HUGE!! I saved over $350 on my two reels and spools, then proceeded to spend that plus another $400, on top of the cost of the reels.

Wanted to price out a cheaper larger sized LA fly reel to spool with lead core for trolling. Picked up a Sage 2210 at 40% off, for $122!! Lowest of the Sage line but still a much better reel and has a better drag than anything else at that price point.

25% off most everything. Picked up a Moby Crane net, reg.$170, sale price $127!!

Need to hit the online store to see what else I may need to drive in and pick up, ha.

calgarygringo
08-22-2018, 11:42 PM
Retailers love you. Enjoy your new goodies.

Wow, what a day!! That was like Christmas in August, lol. I would’ve been losing money by NOT spending money, or so it felt anyways.

Islander reels are all 25% off, that’s HUGE!! I saved over $350 on my two reels and spools, then proceeded to spend that plus another $400, on top of the cost of the reels.

Wanted to price out a cheaper larger sized LA fly reel to spool with lead core for trolling. Picked up a Sage 2210 at 40% off, for $122!! Lowest of the Sage line but still a much better reel and has a better drag than anything else at that price point.

25% off most everything. Picked up a Moby Crane net, reg.$170, sale price $127!!

Need to hit the online store to see what else I may need to drive in and pick up, ha.

Big Racks
08-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Retailers love you. Enjoy your new goodies.

Thanks, I certainly hope to. Funny thing, pretty much everything I bought was on my shopping list, not really much in the way of impulse buys. Unfortunately that’s what happens when you don’t fish for close to 15 years and your gear is either lost or in dated, unmaintained condition. Not doing much hunting anymore so cleared out a large portion of my guns and gear and reinvesting in getting back into fishing more. They love my business, I love saving money on things I was going to buy anyways, win win, lol.

Mr Flyguy
08-23-2018, 04:18 PM

You must have been the guy at the fly fishing counter in the north store on Wednesday morning, ~9:30 am! I spent more that I intended, two 4 wt rods, reel and spare spool, Rio Gold line, some hooks. One of the staff saw me with a big smile when I found the one rod I'd been wanting since winter, and said "that's what we like to see" :)

Big Racks
08-23-2018, 06:09 PM
You must have been the guy at the fly fishing counter in the north store on Wednesday morning, ~9:30 am! I spent more that I intended, two 4 wt rods, reel and spare spool, Rio Gold line, some hooks. One of the staff saw me with a big smile when I found the one rod I'd been wanting since winter, and said "that's what we like to see" :)

That would've been me, I remember seeing the Rio Gold on the counter while you were looking at rods. Congrats on the new goodies, hope you enjoy them.

diamond k
08-23-2018, 10:15 PM
Was at both Edmonton Stores today and purchased a new Sonar unit. Was very happy with the service at the west end but was a little disappointed in the south side store. Don't try and BS when you don't know the answer to a question. I have way more respect if you just say you don't know instead of looking foolish spinning BS.

That being said one of the best places on North America to shop for fresh water fishing gear in my opinion. I typically drop a grand through out the year but after today I will be way over budget this year

SamSteele
08-24-2018, 05:15 PM
I picked up a Redington Crux 5wt on 40% off. Got to try it out later that day on the bow and broke it in on a little rainbow. Pretty sweet deal on a good rod.

SS

Ronbill
08-24-2018, 05:58 PM
25% off Simms wading boots - nothing wrong with that except Simms is expensive to begin with.

Willowtrail
08-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Was at both Edmonton Stores today and purchased a new Sonar unit. Was very happy with the service at the west end but was a little disappointed in the south side store. Don't try and BS when you don't know the answer to a question. I have way more respect if you just say you don't know instead of looking foolish spinning BS.

That being said one of the best places on North America to shop for fresh water fishing gear in my opinion. I typically drop a grand through out the year but after today I will be way over budget this year

What unit did you buy and who helped you out? I was at the west store thur/fri and was helping in the sonar section. I was at south weds and will be again tomorrow.

Big Racks
08-24-2018, 10:47 PM
Was back at the West store again this afternoon. Nothing but good things to say about the staff and the assistance I’ve been provided. Always someone handy to ask if i needed assistance, but not pushy. I forget his name, but I believe it was the assistant manager on Wednesday who took himself off the sales floor for a good 20-30 minutes to personally spool up 4 fly lines for me onto reels and spools, plus backing and 10 colours of lead core onto another fly reel. Fantastic service. Had another fellow help me find rod cases on Wednesday and a different fellow helped me with dodgers today, all very quick to provide help. I haven’t been to the south store but I’d imagine it wouldn’t be far off the same.

PlayDoh
08-25-2018, 12:41 AM
I went in looking to grab another Shimano Clarus, while I wait for warranty shipping. Staff suggested I look at the Fenwick HMG, which I would never have on my own.
With both side by side it was hands down the HMG. And they deal with warranty in-store.
I wasn’t looking for a reel but I grabbed a Quantum Smoke S3. Hot damn it’s smooth. I was incorrectly told it was 40% off, which convinced me to get it. Yet found out at the counter it was only 25%. By then I was in love and got it anyways.
I was disappointed they told me I would have to send my Clarus in myself. Yet I didn’t have the receipt, so it’s my fault I suppose. However the manager did give me a tube to send it in, and printed out the form for me. Now we’ll see what Shimano does. At worst I’ll have to pay 1/2 price for a replacement.

Poppa
08-27-2018, 02:43 PM
In among some other odds and ends, I was ecstatic to find a Pflueger President 30 on for $60. I've been running a Trion with my Clarus the last while, but the President is a solid step-up and will make for a really nice #1 unit for me. The Trion will go to my Ugly Stik back up unit. Excited!

Willowtrail
08-27-2018, 04:30 PM
I was at both edmonton stores helping out as prostaff for the sale. I had a lot of great conversations with a bunch of customers. gave some tricks and pointers for Lake Trout, talked Sonars, Downriggers and lures. What a great 4 days it was.

Of course I took advantage of some of the great deals myself. Picked up a Quantum KVD baitcaster with flippin switch and a med heavy Equalizer for my buddy for jigging lakers, Grabbed a bunch of slip bobbers, Cross lok snap swivels and other knick knacks

Was a great 4 days to hang out in the stores, missed some fishing time but helped a lot of people out from young to old so it felt good being there

ReconWilly
08-27-2018, 06:12 PM
I was waiting and praying on replacing my 5 year old simms g3 guide boots,and to my surprise they actually had a vibram soled size 13 in stock!, i struck out on boxing day sale when i went in and had a look and i have been wading in runners this year waiting for the sale and it paid off!

I wasn't crazy about the looks of the new boots at 1st but they are just as comfortable as the old ones, they also absorb a lot less water than the old leather model that i loved so much and as a result they are dry in no time, where as the leather boots took all night with a fan on them to dry out.

I couldn't be happier to walk out with the 1 thing that i really wanted!

Now i can send my old pair off to simms to be resoled as the rest of the boots are great shape!

This is the only sale at any retailer that i always make sure to attend.