PDA

View Full Version : Favorite walleye curly tail.

trigger7mm
08-19-2018, 05:29 PM
What is your favorite colour curly tail jig for fishing rivers. Specifically the Battle River if any one fishes that. Have a great weekend everyone!

pikergolf
08-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Purple, I must have a hundred of them, motor oil is good as well.

cranky
08-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Black is my goto.

trigger7mm
08-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Green with silver flecks seem to be the best for me.

Dewey Cox
08-19-2018, 10:36 PM
Pink and white

bobalong
08-19-2018, 10:58 PM
As you can see from the previous posts, very different colors all catch fish. Location, presentation usually has a lot more to do with success than color.

Penner
08-20-2018, 07:23 AM
Ol' faithful mister twister double prop in yellow.

walleyechaser
08-20-2018, 08:11 AM
Not really a curly tail fan, but white with a chartreuse jig head always seemed to work

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Bushleague
08-20-2018, 08:29 AM
I've come to use only about 3 colors of twister tails, white seems to be my most consistent producer, followed by black, and then yellow. Almost all of these colors will catch at least a fish or two on any given day, and if you cant catch fish on these colors you should probably be switching your presentation rather than experimenting with color. I prefer 3" single tails because I find it easyer to get them down to the bottom with less weight than a larger, more bulky tail.

I do prefer a bright jig head, orange or chartreuse, but especially when fishing rivers the paint tends to get chipped off pretty fast. In light of this I don't worry to much about the color of the head, I'm way too cheap to switch out jig heads just because the paint is missing.

thorne
08-20-2018, 11:46 AM
White and black zebra double tail gets em every time!

Kurt505
08-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Depends

cranky
08-20-2018, 12:45 PM
I've come to use only about 3 colors of twister tails, white seems to be my most consistent producer, followed by black, and then yellow. Almost all of these colors will catch at least a fish or two on any given day, and if you cant catch fish on these colors you should probably be switching your presentation rather than experimenting with color. I prefer 3" single tails because I find it easyer to get them down to the bottom with less weight than a larger, more bulky tail.

I do prefer a bright jig head, orange or chartreuse, but especially when fishing rivers the paint tends to get chipped off pretty fast. In light of this I don't worry to much about the color of the head, I'm way too cheap to switch out jig heads just because the paint is missing.

Me too except the white is my second other than that exactly what i do. Any color head is good including no paint.

yada
08-20-2018, 06:32 PM
My favorite by far is Trigger X Grubs in chartreuse green

boonedocks
08-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Any colour is ok, as long as it's Chartreuse!😄

mlee
08-22-2018, 12:57 PM
In the fall I fish the battle river almost every night....its like 5 miles from my acreage....I use the cheap crappy tire lead filled swim baits from storm or whomever. I'll typically go through at least 1 a night as the walleye absolutely destroy them lol....pretty soon it's just the lead glob with no rubber body left. I stick to white/silver or brown/green....but by mid September it doesn't matter....those river walleye are fierce and will hammer just about anything you drop in the water assuming you are on a good hole.

trigger7mm
08-22-2018, 07:55 PM
In the fall I fish the battle river almost every night....its like 5 miles from my acreage....I use the cheap crappy tire lead filled swim baits from storm or whomever. I'll typically go through at least 1 a night as the walleye absolutely destroy them lol....pretty soon it's just the lead glob with no rubber body left. I stick to white/silver or brown/green....but by mid September it doesn't matter....those river walleye are fierce and will hammer just about anything you drop in the water assuming you are on a good hole.

Thanks for the tip.

NSR Fisher
08-23-2018, 10:16 AM
I agree with other posters here, it really depends where you are fishing and what the water temp / clarity is.

Hot days with muddy water, a black or darker color works wonders.

Clear, cold water, more natural colors like greens and browns and silvers (actual minnow colors) will work a bit better.

Side question, how does everyone thread their curly's on? Does the tail face "up" on yours? or down? Or do you lay it horizontal like some guys I see?

huntsfurfish
08-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Dont forget the crazy glue. Keeks them on longer.

I like pumpkin seed, white, black, purple, chartreuse. My go to colors.

trigger7mm
08-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Seems like the standard is to hook them tail facing down, but I wonder if it really matters.

Zip-in-Z
08-23-2018, 01:42 PM
This one .... catches more walleye than whites, but whites love it, tooooooo.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/KPpkCoC.jpg

nighttrain
08-29-2018, 08:35 PM
Black with a chartreuse jighead!

NSR_RAT
08-30-2018, 08:59 AM
Black with a chartreuse jighead!

X2, or a 3 inch shad style soft plastic in pearl white with a 1/4 jig head.