PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed to ask !

calgarychef
08-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Wow I started a thread in the other section wanting to know some good swimming holes, mostly to take the kids out but....it was inferred that I was looking for fishingnholes. I wasn’t and I barely fish, but it did occur to me .... a buddy is visiting from out of province and now he wants to go fishing. Can anyone point me to a spot where we could fish from a canoe in the Grand Prairie area? It doesn’t have to be a swimming hole :)

smitty9
08-22-2018, 09:40 PM
Two basic questions:

1) Lake or river? I assume lake.

2) Want to chase trout or go to a pike-walleye-perch-whitefish lake?

Plenty of choices, once you narrow it down.

KegRiver
08-23-2018, 01:48 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=58561

caddisfly7
08-23-2018, 08:47 AM
I would go check out Spring Lake north of Hythe! That's a pretty lake and you have a decent chance at catching a rainbow or brook trout!

The west side of Moonshine Lake is nice to paddle around, it is also stocked with a variety of trout species.

Swan Lake appears to have summer killed, don't know the full extent; however from a few photos I have seen, things don't look great. Which is too bad, that's a fun lake for rainbows.

Sturgeon Lake is a bigger lake and you have an opportunity to catch pike and walleye. Young's Point Provincial Park would be a great place to start!

Couple of nice lakes around with the potential for decent fishing! I have had good, and bad, fishing days on all of them!

calgarychef
08-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the responses, it points me in the right direction. I just want to give buddy a good experience and I ain’t a fisherman....

Any suggestions for the trout? Would some Mepps style lures work? Small spoons?

caddisfly7
08-23-2018, 12:01 PM
I am mostly a fly guy, but I'm sure one could have success with small spoons and spinners!