PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE - Best Buy Geek Squad FRAUD

EZM
08-31-2018, 04:02 PM
I posted this on Best Buy's Forum in a section where people were complaining about warranty coverage - seems we are not alone ....... see below .........

Best Buy / Geek Squad Warranty? .....

Actually, NO, you are NOT covered.

Despite the sales clerk INSISTING my daughter purchase the accidental damage warranty for her cell phone, and SPECIFICALLY citing that "if you drop your phone and crack your screen you are covered" and went on to lie to us telling us the repairs were done "in house and on the spot" ............ well .......... guess what ..........there is no coverage.

So here we are, months and months later, paying for the "Geek Squad" warranty and, IRONICALLY, when she brought the phone in to have it repaired they said it wasn't covered and it would be $260 for a new screen and it would take 5 days to do.

They also said if you need a replacement phone while it was getting repaired, they would need a $1300 deposit.

So, they have been happily and frudulently collecting out monthly warranty fees, and yet, offer no such coverage and direct us to the "fine print" on a copy of the warrnaty coverage details that WERE NOT OFFERED to us at the time of the purchase.

To add INSULT to injury to this FRAUDULENT SCAM when we called a few local repair shops they would be able to do the repairs for, guess what ..............$260 .......or less in one case and it would be done while you wait.

So why were we sold a useless warranty? Why were we specifically told that it would cover precisely this scenario and then later, when the warranty was needed did absolutely nothing to rectify this issue.

This is the biggest scam I have ever seen. They will happily collect your warranty money yet will not offer a warranty service to you as explicitly and specifically sold to you at the time and will not refund the money they FRAUDULENTLY STOLE from you.

I am posting this same message on as many forums as I can to bring attention to this FRAUDULENT SCAM and will, be taking further action, which may include, but may not be limited to, litigation until I recover the money IN FULL for ALL the warranties on ALL our phones on this program.

dodger
08-31-2018, 04:09 PM
I have some Geek Squad comments but I would end up on the band wagon. :argue2::argue2::argue2::argue2::argue2::argue2::a rgue2:

Dodger.

pinelakeperch
08-31-2018, 04:11 PM
I imagine the sales clerk was misinformed. I don't think its some kind of large conspiracy. If it was, your story wouldn't be the first one I read. If you're persistent enough, they'll probably refund you the warranty on the phone.

Also, capitalizing words throughout the post doesn't add any persuasion or legitimacy, haha.

nast70
08-31-2018, 04:16 PM
Geek Squad is not the only one....
We just bought 3 brand new Samsung S9's from Costco, with extended warranty that would cover repairs to anything done to the phone from cracked screens to water damage etc etc etc.
Wife ended dropping her phone and cracked the screen. She promptly went to Costco and was directed to call the warranty service center, which it turns out, is not affiliated with the phone retailer in Costco. Turns out the 'extended cover everything that happens to your phone warranty' we were sold will not actually repair your phone, but provide you a replacement, a refurbished replacement actually.
Not impressed at the least and have let Costco know. We are not the only ones who have had issues apparently.

EZM
08-31-2018, 04:43 PM
I imagine the sales clerk was misinformed. I don't think its some kind of large conspiracy. If it was, your story wouldn't be the first one I read. If you're persistent enough, they'll probably refund you the warranty on the phone.

Also, capitalizing words throughout the post doesn't add any persuasion or legitimacy, haha.

This is legit. I did some research on this - There are over 1000 other complaints on that issue with best buy.

Best Buy's own forum had dozens of very recent complaints of this nature regarding exactly the same issue.

Just because you have never been aware of it (or haven't heard of it yourself) doesn't not mean it doesn't exists does it? you don't actually think that do you?

Seems like there's another 1000 people besides myself that would disagree with your all knowing wisdom and brilliance. Maybe do some research before exposing yourself. You seem to be 100% wrong - and the more people that wade into the discussion the sillier your self elevating clever comments will make you look. Congratulations.

All I was intending on doing is warning other members not to be victims of this scam in the way my daughter was - my post was meant to warn and to help others.

You know what they say - "it's sucks when someone else makes you look like a know it all clown - it's far worse when when you do it to yourself"

Grizzly Adams
08-31-2018, 04:44 PM
Geek Squad is not the only one....
We just bought 3 brand new Samsung S9's from Costco, with extended warranty that would cover repairs to anything done to the phone from cracked screens to water damage etc etc etc.
Wife ended dropping her phone and cracked the screen. She promptly went to Costco and was directed to call the warranty service center, which it turns out, is not affiliated with the phone retailer in Costco. Turns out the 'extended cover everything that happens to your phone warranty' we were sold will not actually repair your phone, but provide you a replacement, a refurbished replacement actually.
Not impressed at the least and have let Costco know. We are not the only ones who have had issues apparently.

Check out Tom Tom's "Lifetime map updating" . :D Life time means as long as they chose to support the device.

Grizz

Trochu
08-31-2018, 05:11 PM
Buying a warranty never really made much sense to me and I've never done so.

Hope it works out for you.

averagejoe
08-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately they like to lie through their teeth to get those extra warranty sales.

Then when you have something that actually fits under that extended warranty they find some way to worm out of it.

Ken07AOVette
08-31-2018, 06:20 PM
I have passed this on to the Manager of BB Lloydminster who is a very good friend of mine. I will see if I can get you some help.
Another friend of mine was helped by them from this forum.
The Manager is a great guy. Give me a little time.

Zrunner
08-31-2018, 08:49 PM
I agree total waste of money, I had issues with a Mac Book Pro still under the original manufacturers warranty. I took it to Best Buy where I purchased it and it would take 2 weeks to diagnose the issue and repair as they had to send it to the Apple Warranty depot. I took to the Apple store they remedied the problem over night. This is the last time I purchase Apple products from Best Buy!

EZM
08-31-2018, 09:17 PM
I have passed this on to the Manager of BB Lloydminster who is a very good friend of mine. I will see if I can get you some help.
Another friend of mine was helped by them from this forum.
The Manager is a great guy. Give me a little time.

Thanks Ken, I do appreciate it.

I wasn't expecting help - but here's another example of good people on the forum helping each other out.

EZM
08-31-2018, 09:22 PM
It will come as no surprise to you all, my post has been removed from Best Buy's Forum .... last time I check it had over 100 hits - so hopefully this will warn others and prevent this theft from occurring to other people.

Ken07AOVette
08-31-2018, 09:34 PM
It will come as no surprise to you all, my post has been removed from Best Buy's Forum .... last time I check it had over 100 hits - so hopefully this will warn others and prevent this theft from occurring to other people.

AS much as I sympathise, I do not consider this theft, and I don't think the RCMP would either. Lack of communication, concrete ball dropped by the idiot that took your money, bad sales staff, improper education of sales staff, poor management, but not theft.
Someone needs their ass kicked, and my friend is lacing up the big boot.
I promise nothing but sure hope for the best. Being a long weekend likely we won't hear anything until Tuesday at the earliest, but PM me next week for an update, please?

midgetwaiter
08-31-2018, 09:37 PM

Not looking to offend here but I think the problem there might be that you're not very well read.

Extended warranties are by far the largest money maker in retail consumer electronics. The retailer will keep at least 60% of the warranty purchase price compared to margins as thin a 4% on the actual product. They might only make $20 on the phone but they'll make $120 off that $200 warranty. With the balance going to the third party that actually provides the coverage. Can you see why they push them so hard?

In addition to that "Best Buy Mobile" in particular is notorious for pulling this kind of deception. Why the quotes? Those people in Best Buy / Walmart / Costco selling don't work for the retailer, it's a few 3rd party companies that lease the space from the big box store. They are often poorly trained and unethical, avoid them at if at all possible.

mayuan
08-31-2018, 09:49 PM
Not to derail the thread, but I had a similar situation with 'The North Face'. I purchased a jacket and wore it for close to 3 years(spring jacket not winter or summer). Unfortunate the interior of the jacket de-laminated, basically the liner on the inside fell out. Sent the jacket back to them and was notified that the 'life time warranty' was for the life of the jacket and that was only 2 years. Still a little ****ed about that and will never buy another jacket from them.

Don_Parsons
08-31-2018, 09:52 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I can see why I buy low end phones with no warrant, it they go down, I get to watch them burn in the bon-fire. Ha.

They give off nice little colours once they reach 1600 degrees

R3illy
09-01-2018, 12:22 PM
if your buying a warranty why wouldnt you look into the fine print. When i added a protection plan to my one smartphone i asked for the warranty in writing.

I was paying $11 a month for a guaranteed replacement if it was stolen, broken or got wet but i went over the exact terms/fine print.

bobtodrick
09-01-2018, 02:50 PM
I'd like to weigh in, as a retailer and an advertiser on AO.
'Extended' warranties are to be avoided like the plaque in my opinion.
They are just that...extended warranties. When you read the fine print most basically offer an extension of the manufacturers warranty, which says they will fix anything that goes wrong that is due to a defect in the device. And in truth, if something that is going to go wrong due to poor manufacture...it usually shows up withing the products normal warranty period. All too often they will find that it is 'your' fault that something has gone wrong and will not cover it.
As midgetwaiter states these are offered by third party insurance companies...and as with all insurance companies part of their job is to ensure they don't often pay out. As he says, for every warranty we sold we kept a percentage of the fee...and let me tell you it was VERY profitable.
But we got a lot of complaints.
Now we deal with a third party insurance company that offers 'no fault insurance'. It's more money...but you can set your camera or binoculars down on the road, drive over it with your black Dodge Ram :sHa_sarcasticlol: and they will repair or replace the item.
Personally, if I was someone who was not very careful...or whose job meant I treated my gear strictly as tools that may get destroyed I'd purchase a no fault warranty.
But if I take care of my gear...never.

calgarygringo
09-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Former retail manager for years. Most are not worth the paper they are written on. Read it yourself and be sure what you are getting. Full replacement for any reason are nice but fix warrantees all kinds of things have potentials. One place I managed we got in arguments regularly as the warranty was looked after by the store. Of course the store doesnt agree and you must have drove over that rod or caught it in the door sorry. Unless it is an amazing extra just go with the regular one is always my advice and of course keep it clean and maintain it.

Don_Parsons
09-01-2018, 05:07 PM
The trick is to not read and see what is covered in warranty,,, it is to investigate what is "NOT" covered.

If in dought, get the seller to read each line of the invisible fine print.

Most of them have to find a magnifying glass part way into the read before their eye-balls fall out, Ha.

R3illy
09-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Not to dispute the ops issue but ive had awesome experiences with the geek squad. I purchased the extended warranty for a dish washer in one of my rentals. I can call them to unclog the thing.

Ive had them out twice at no cost. Called them recently due to my dish washer not draining and they said they may just replace it if its having the same issue.

I decided to get off my butt and head to my rental. I augered the plumbing stacks and all was well.... dish washer was fine. I shouldnt have bothered as i was about to get a new dish washer.

Maybe different departments are handled differently.

EZM
09-01-2018, 09:23 PM
It is rare for me to buy any warranty - including vehicle - I do buy the warranty protection from Memory Express - but their terms are listed clearly and inclusions / limitations spelled out clearly. They have also been fantastic to deal with on the few occasions I've had to use their coverage.

In this case, with Best Buy / Geek Squad, This is a tough lesson for my daughter ..... but probably a good one. I don't buy anything from them myself, so didn't really have "any point of reference" to warn her about before her and my wife went in to get her a phone.

Most large retailers know and understand that their reputability carries a tremendous impact onto their repeat business (and future revenues). A scam of a warranty, sold by an associate who wilfully and purposely mislead a customer to buy a useless cash grab product to pocket a commission irritates me to no end.

I could care less about the $260 it's going to take to replace her screen - it's the $11 a month that she's been paying for a "product replacement plan" is the real issue here.

EZM
09-01-2018, 09:25 PM
if your buying a warranty why wouldnt you look into the fine print. When i added a protection plan to my one smartphone i asked for the warranty in writing.

I was paying $11 a month for a guaranteed replacement if it was stolen, broken or got wet but i went over the exact terms/fine print.

That is Precisely the dollar amount my daughter was being charged ....... and there was NO coverage ............ I hope you don't have to test it like she did.

reddeerguy2015
09-02-2018, 08:49 AM
We bought a Dyson vacuum from best buy and got the extended warranty.

Within a year the handle broke. Took it in - they gave us a brand new vacuum on the spot.

Within the next year, the cord rewind broke. Took it in - they didn't carry that model anymore. So they gave us the newest, upgraded model.

They basically told us they'd keep replacing them as long as they keep breaking and the warranty is valid.

In this case for us, the best buy extended warranty has been priceless. And not having to wait for factory replacements have been fantastic.

I don't buy extended warranties on anything else, just read online when we were vacuum shopping to get the extended warranty because they're so expensive to replace and made of such cheap plastic now-a-days and prone to failure.

Your mileage may vary.

michaelmicallef
09-02-2018, 09:09 AM
AS much as I sympathise, I do not consider this theft, and I don't think the RCMP would either. Lack of communication, concrete ball dropped by the idiot that took your money, bad sales staff, improper education of sales staff, poor management, but not theft.
Someone needs their ass kicked, and my friend is lacing up the big boot.
I promise nothing but sure hope for the best. Being a long weekend likely we won't hear anything until Tuesday at the earliest, but PM me next week for an update, please?

Ok then it’s Fraud.

Coyotebutcher
09-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Had an experience with apple care on my iPhone. Dropped it and cracked the screen. Phone was replaced at the apple store immediately. Apple is pricey but the will cover you 100%. Secondly I would recommend a life proof case for all $1000+ pieces of electronics. Carry my glass device every day on the commercial construction site and have never had an issue. Case breaks or gets destroyed? Not to worry, life proof will send you a brand new one, no questions asked

Ken07AOVette
09-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Ok then it’s Fraud.

Guess you know nothing of Criminal process huh?

How does lack of education by the store equal intent by the salesperson?

Swing that in Court or to the Crown and you will be a billion dollar lawyer for the shadiest firm on the planet.

Ken07AOVette
09-02-2018, 11:01 AM
I have only ever bought Geek Squad warranty on phones. Never on anything else.
My Note 3 had some issues. I was sent a replacement refurbished one. It had issues. They sent me a new one and told me to keep the old one. It was 7 months old.
My S7 edge developed a vertical line within a year. New (refurb) phone to my door in 3 days. I had a battery issue with the replacement. Another replacement in 3 days.
My son bought a Nexus phone and had nothing but trouble. He had some issues until the Lloydminster manager became aware of the situation. He was given a Samsung Galaxy 8 as a replacement. New in the box.
I did have to give them my credit card # to pay for the new phone, reimbursed 100% when the old one was received by them.
0 problems with them, ever.

urban rednek
09-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Q: How can you tell if a salesperson is lying?
A: Their lips are moving.

It is not fraud if the information is available in writing, but you choose not to read it.
I feel your frustration.
Trust no one.

Sundancefisher
09-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Personally I refuse the warranty as they are all over priced wastes of money. The make tons and often sales people get added bonuses off them so they do sell hard.

If you do get a warranty and they claim something key to your purchase decision ask to see the wording or at least add in your own writing that that is included and have them initial/sign on both your copy and the stores copy.

I can understand the frustration of kids that break stuff and why sometimes you get lucky with the warranty.

We did get one on a lap top because it was critical to school studies. That one we did get use out of. However not to the full value paid.

tool
09-02-2018, 08:27 PM
You have to realize that buying a third part "extended warranty" is not a warranty at all. It's simply an insurance policy underwritten by someone else.

Of course those underwriters don't want to pay out....

Like a Good Neighbour, nobody is there.

SakoShooter
09-02-2018, 09:32 PM
I have used my geek squad insurance 6 times and all but one of these times they sent me a gift card for replacement value. First I had to put down a deposit ($800 I think) by credit card, then I had 30 days to return my phone upon recieving my gift card. Of course there's a deductible, varying from $100-$250 depending on the value of the device.

Even after factoring in the monthly premium ($13 now I think) and the deductibles, I have saved mamy hundreds of dollars.

Yes, I'm extremely hard on phones. I go through 3-5 a year I'd guess. For the average person, I can't see the insurance being worth it, but I've learmed the hard way that I WILL break my new phone.

reddeerguy2015
09-02-2018, 10:34 PM
I have used my geek squad insurance 6 times and all but one of these times they sent me a gift card for replacement value. First I had to put down a deposit ($800 I think) by credit card, then I had 30 days to return my phone upon recieving my gift card. Of course there's a deductible, varying from $100-$250 depending on the value of the device.

Even after factoring in the monthly premium ($13 now I think) and the deductibles, I have saved mamy hundreds of dollars.

Yes, I'm extremely hard on phones. I go through 3-5 a year I'd guess. For the average person, I can't see the insurance being worth it, but I've learmed the hard way that I WILL break my new phone.

How do you wreck 3 to 5 smart phones a year, exactly??

huntsfurfish
09-03-2018, 11:47 AM
How do you wreck 3 to 5 smart phones a year, exactly??

If I were to guess, I would say temper.:);)

SakoShooter
09-03-2018, 01:22 PM
If I were to guess, I would say temper.:);)

I'm a projecr manager in construction, so have my phone out on jobsites all day. I can honestly say that I've never broken a phone in anger, but have dropped many, had them struck while in my pocket, fallen out of my truck....off a coffee table, you name it.

Never used to break so many, but modern phones are pretty fragile.

makin tracks
09-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I can see why I buy low end phones with no warrant, it they go down, I get to watch them burn in the bon-fire. Ha.

They give off nice little colours once they reach 1600 degrees

ha they still have those dial up phones there Mr. don? ha

reddeerguy2015
09-03-2018, 11:58 PM
I'm a projecr manager in construction, so have my phone out on jobsites all day. I can honestly say that I've never broken a phone in anger, but have dropped many, had them struck while in my pocket, fallen out of my truck....off a coffee table, you name it.

Never used to break so many, but modern phones are pretty fragile.

Falling out of shirt or coveralls pocket has done me in a few times. They are brittle for sure. Especially the curved glass phones where you can't seem to find a really good case. Seems you need the gorilla Glass stick on crap. Which I can attest - is not strong enough.