PDA

View Full Version : Swan Lake summer kill

PeterSL
09-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Heard that there were dead and dying rainbows seen mid August this year at Swan Lake near Valleyview. Any reports on the extent of the kill or the fishing since then?

Gerald J
09-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Can't believe you haven't had a reply yet. I have been watching this thread with curiosity. I last fished it in June and usually leave it alone in July and August. I was going to hit it again last Saturday but I was discouraged by the wind forecast as I fish with a pontoon boat. Might check it out this coming weekend.

bucksman
09-11-2018, 12:10 PM
It was all over facebook. I don't have facebook but I saw the pictures there was dead fish everywhere. Also, a guy at work went out there and he was floating toward what he thought was a weed bed but it turned out to be dead fish and he said that they weren't small fish either

Exploits
09-11-2018, 01:36 PM
If yes what happened? Central Alberta lakes are pretty much void of fish this year also. Even the aerated lakes.

bucksman
09-11-2018, 03:23 PM
If yes what happened? Central Alberta lakes are pretty much void of fish this year also. Even the aerated lakes.

they only run aerators during the winter

Red Bullets
09-13-2018, 12:26 AM
Swan lake has signage indicating diseases in the fish may be present. Last time I fished there I caught lots of nice looking trout but didn't try eating one.

Red Bullets
09-13-2018, 12:36 AM

I believe there were some lakes just stocked in the past week. Good idea to stock in the fall because the fish eating birds are starting to migrate, saving a few fish from their gullets.