PDA

View Full Version : Lure retrievers

walleyechaser
09-15-2018, 08:54 AM
With the crankbait topic in full swing, I figured I would start a thread on lure retrievers.

Anybody use them?

This is the first season I have used one and it has paid for itself many times over.

I grabbed it on Amazon, but I'm sure Cabelas has them to. Highly recommend it if you lose lures occasionally.

Basically a heavy weight you send down the line and it knocks your lure free, I was sceptical, but first time out $9 rippin rap saved

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

russ
09-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Does it untangle line self knotted 2 feet above the water in reeds?

LOL - I know it can't, that's an unreasonable expectation. I did hang a Johnson Silver Minnow that way last weekend though.

owlhoot
09-15-2018, 10:00 AM
I bought a home made one at a garage sale, It looks similar to the Cabelas Snag master and it works.

Teamprotz
09-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Use to fish tobin a lot. For snags in wood , used an old 2" hitch ball , a large snap swivel and para cord . Snap on main line , drop ball down on a tight line , bounce a couple times and $15 saved.

Big Sky
09-15-2018, 11:19 AM
I've got the Cabela's snagmaster. Use it a couple times a year. I've had it for over a decade. Paid for itself many times over.

Simple to use. Very effective.

PwhyTwhy
09-15-2018, 11:41 AM
I had no idea these existed. Another item on my list to get. Definately lost a few good lures. Cheers

chain2
09-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Interesting... I’ll check into these thanks,chain

cranky
09-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Seems to me they would work better out of a boat being directly over top of snag.
Do they work shore fishing? Anyone?

Etownpaul
09-15-2018, 04:18 PM
I made my own out of a 2L pop bottle. Drill a 1/4 hole in the lid and put a 1/4” threaded eyebolt through. Affix with appropriate nuts and washers. Fill it up with water and hook it onto your line with a small snap carabiner. Reel it in with your hook, dump it out and throw it back into storage until you need it again.

Etownpaul
09-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Seems to me they would work better out of a boat being directly over top of snag.
Do they work shore fishing? Anyone?

If you are shore fishing a river, just open your bail and let the current take half the line off your spool. It usually creates enough drag that it will work the hook free.

cranky
09-15-2018, 10:24 PM
If you are shore fishing a river, just open your bail and let the current take half the line off your spool. It usually creates enough drag that it will work the hook free.

Good idea. Thanks ill have to try that trick sometime.