PDA

View Full Version : Trapper cabins

Trapper cabins
04-04-2003, 06:24 PM
I was just wondering about cabins you see in the bush, is it true only people with trappers licences can put up a cabin in the back woods,I saw a few nice & simple ones out sleding this year and I allways wondered who could put them up.

Thanks

Re:Trapper Cabins
04-07-2003, 11:03 AM
no, my aunt and uncle get a permit every winter to put up a cabin in the Kakwa region for snow mobileing.They usually set it up in november along the 4x4 route.

trappin' cabins
04-08-2003, 12:02 PM
where do you get a permit? does it cost money?:rollin

Cabins
04-15-2003, 11:09 AM
This is joe hunter again,more info please cryswolf.Sounds intreiging to think you can put up a shack somewhere.Who does one need to contact at the gov to inquire more?

cabins
04-16-2003, 11:19 AM
I assume you are interested in a cabin in the "green" of forested area. Alberta Forest Service is responcible for land use activities in the forested area. You have to have a good reason to have a cabin. A trapper can have one or more on his trap line. There are a few other situations where one can have a cabin on crown land (outfitter, tourist guide)but they are few and far between. And that I think is a good thing.

Robin

cabins
04-23-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm not interested in a cabin for myself, but the idea of a backwoods cabin has allways been a cool thing. After some thought I must agree with Robin and say its a good thing we all cant just put up a shack anywhere, just think of the abuse that privelidge would get. I see some great little shacks when Im out in the woods and allways thought it would be neat to spend a weekend in the middle of winter way back in the bush. With my wall tent I can do this now anytime I want and its mobile so I can see different country too.

Swamp_Donkey
12-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Does anyone one know if any trappers would allow hunters to build a cabin/cook shack on their line area? Of course use would be granted to the trapper so its a win win.

TundraBuck
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Does anyone one know if any trappers would allow hunters to build a cabin/cook shack on their line area? Of course use would be granted to the trapper so its a win win.

I have done this before in 330 with a trapper who lives along buster creek.

prospector
12-28-2007, 10:05 AM
From my understanding the trappers cabins are intended for a fairly limited use, to reduce the potential for abuse. It is possible to get a recreational lease to allow a cabin/development on public land, although these are more intended for something open to the public year round. In the Grande Prairie area, Dion (sp?) with Sustainable Resource Development 780-538-8080 can provide more details on what is allowed for other use, or what may be determined as unauthorized and can be removed (possibly burned down) after the 14 day maximium stay. They are quite reasonable with this, if you have a wall tent setup for hunting season for example, they realize it might be longer than 14 days. However if it becomes a year-round semi-permanent cabin it would be posted with a warning, then removed and auctioned if no efforts made to claim it by the owner.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/usingpublicland/recreation/pdf/07_Random_Camping_Final.pdf

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/usingpublicland/recreation/tourismrecreationalleasingprogram.aspx

Hopefully the links work.