PDA

View Full Version : Transducers & Good Soundings at Cruising Speed

russ
10-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Any of you have luck getting good depth readings at speed with a transom mount? Mine goes wonky at about 10 mph, I've been considering a thru-hull mount but the price kind of scares me off.

dodgeboy1979
10-06-2018, 12:18 PM
what type of transducer and where is it mounted. my HB works fine at cruzing speed

russ
10-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Not too sure, I just know it's about 20 years old and hard mounted to the transom. FWIW it's a Hummingbird depth finder. Is there something I can do differently with the transducer mounting?

huntsfurfish
10-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Has it always been like that? If yes,

then

Location, location, location. And how it sits. You want transducers mounted in clean water flow. Turbulence is transducers no 1 enemy, it can be from the hull or prop.

And or may be tilted to much(may have been bumped).

If no, its likely time for a new transducer.

dodgeboy1979
10-06-2018, 01:04 PM
it might be time to upgrade to something newer. but like stated check the transducer when you are cruising and see if it is submerged in the water and no turbulence from the motor or hull. If that checks out check the mounting angle of it. you will have bad readings if it is shooting off into space when your boat is on step.

bobalong
10-06-2018, 02:35 PM
http://www.airmar.com/

russ
10-06-2018, 02:37 PM
it might be time to upgrade to something newer. but like stated check the transducer when you are cruising and see if it is submerged in the water and no turbulence from the motor or hull. If that checks out check the mounting angle of it. you will have bad readings if it is shooting off into space when your boat is on step.

I really like your enabling answer the most! :D

EZM
10-07-2018, 09:47 PM
If it's a large side imaging transducer - they are notorious for poor readings at high speed.

The best bet is to get a Y cable and split one to your big SI transducer and the other to a "standard" transducer .......... no more issues.

That's what I did.

If it already is a small or normal sized one - then you simply need to re-position it to an area that works. Sometimes a bit lower and away from a strake will do it.