PDA

View Full Version : Wild boar hunting near elk point????

Kale 19
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
I heard there are a few pigs running around the elk point area. I was hoping someone might have some insight or info as to where to start looking. Any help would be great.

Thanks.:wave:

Hannie
06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
None that myself or my family have seen. I have heard stories of the 3rd party variety but nothing concrete.

AxeMan
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Not sure about Elk Point, but they are definately in the north east. I saw one on Saturday evening along highway 55. I was shocked to see it. It was a sow with at least two piglets. She wasn't all that scared as she layed down to hide when we approached with the truck. I got a decent pic of her out of the truck window. I was hesitant to get out of the truck when we saw she had piggies. We were only 50 feet away or so. I used to raise pigs on the farm and have seen how nasty a sow can get with piggies......not to mention a wild one. I will post the pic when I get it out of my buddies camera. Man, they are tough lookin buggers.

IR_mike
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Not sure about Elk Point, but they are definately in the north east. I saw one on Saturday evening along highway 55. I was shocked to see it. It was a sow with at least two piglets. She wasn't all that scared as she layed down to hide when we approached with the truck. I got a decent pic of her out of the truck window. I was hesitant to get out of the truck when we saw she had piggies. We were only 50 feet away or so. I used to raise pigs on the farm and have seen how nasty a sow can get with piggies......not to mention a wild one. I will post the pic when I get it out of my buddies camera. Man, they are tough lookin buggers.

Where at along 55?

AxeMan
06-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Where at along 55?

Lol....how did I know that question was coming. My buddy wants to go back and hunt them so I can't really say. Let's just say we were on our way back to Edmonton from Seibert. Maybe you will get some hints from the pic when I post it.

unclebuck
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
A friend of mine who lived along 55 by the McRae turnoff used to raise them. I know that he had more than a few get away on him. His neighbours used to have them raid their gardens regularly at which time, they always had fresh pork.:evilgrin:

AxeMan
06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I believe that guy still raises them there as the page wire is still there. I'll bet the pigs I saw were some of the escapies relatives. As Mike said to me, guys be careful you don't plug one that is behind the page wire.

BobLoblaw
06-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Talked to a fella yesterday who owns a ranch down near Chain Lakes(south).
One day, while he was out, his wife heard a shot & went out to investigate. Found a guy standing by his truck out at the road...
She says,"What were you shooting at?"
He says,"Nothin'; I didn't fire a shot.":innocent:
She says,"I can smell the gunsmoke!"
He says,"Oh, I just shot a wild pig..."
She checks it out, finds the family's beloved pet pot-bellied pig with a hole blasted through it.:cry: Nice going, super-hunter!:mad2:
RCMP were called, charges laid; not sure of all the details, but I think he got over $700 in fines & lost his hunting privileges for a while.
Make sure you know what yer shootin' out there, fellas!

AxeMan
06-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Here is the pic of that wild pig I saw. The pic didn't turn out good. The digital camera was fully zoomed and the truck was running.

predatorzedge
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I was told around new alta

big-river
02-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Head to the river valley by Myrnam.
Lots of hogs in the river valley. They are well despised by the the locals.
Have fun.