PDA

View Full Version : Barrier Lake Kananaskis

wmw9
10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone,

I've driven by barrier lake in K Country about 100 times and have always meant to stop and fish there. I have a small aluminum boat and a 4HP outboard and was thinking of fishing there this weekend. Not looking for anyone's hot spots, just wondering what's in there? I'm assuming brown / rainbow trout.

Is it worth stopping to check it out?

Thanks!
MW

goldscud
10-18-2018, 09:24 AM
The odd brown trout. Catch rates are very low though

Fishing4Trophies
10-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Like what goldscud stated,

Barrier lake does hold a few Browns, generally smaller in size (also far from colourful from my experience) .

I generally hook up from shore about once every 3 hours on average.

I've had better luck in the Kananaskis River above Barrier for some decent Browns and Whites, just simply use your traditional streamers if you're fly fishing (Woolly Bugger, I like Olive) , or small spoons/spinners if you're spin fishing. :)

Tight Lines

wmw9
10-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Thank you for the replies! I really appreciate it

chucklesthe3rd
10-18-2018, 07:52 PM
I fish Barrier lake a lot and I usually can get me 6-7 browns and rainbows in about six hours of fishing. Most of the time I walk around along the shore casting small spinners. They usually are in the 8-12 inch range. If you're lucky you can catch the odd mountain white where the river connects into the lake. I've heard rumors of lake trout in barrier lake but have never seen or caught one.