PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Red Fox Mount

critter
02-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Men,
I am looking for a red fox mount to use as a decoy while calling. It does not have to be museum quality. Any replies would be appreciated, to petrah@shaw.ca.
(Calgary area)

Cheers,

Critter

winged1
02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
That would probably work great. What works for me is a magpie on a swivel base so it faces the wind. Mine is actually cloth sewn up to look real. And I've been trying a small black flag on about 30yds of fishing line. I hang it over a fence or bush and let the flag lay on the ground. The swivel magpie sits overhead in plain site. A soft pull on the line to just move the flag around commands attention, and distraction from your position. It is definately two magpies at a distance. The fishing line does glint though, so a shade setting is required. I use one of the kids old closed faced reels on a cut down handle to cast it out and reel it in when I'm finished. Real quick.

critter
02-05-2004, 07:16 PM
That's beautiful! Thanks for the reply. I would love to have a magpie decoy, your homemade idea sounds good. At present, I have a frozen one that has been pretty faithful. Have you ever heard of a magpie call, similar to a crow call? I need one. Try the new fluorocarbon fishing line, a bit pricey, but works absolute wonders on spooky trout. Zero refraction. I can just imagine things might get a bit hectic, reeling, calling, shooting...On a windy day, try a few crow feathers on the open snow, good movement, and natural as they drift and tumble across the snow.:)

Cheers,

Critter

winged1
02-05-2004, 11:27 PM
I do a vocal magpie call, but usually just to play with the magpies that come around for a look. Haven't seen a manufactured one. One thing I have noticed about magpies is that when they find a carcass, they stay quiet about it. Thanks for the line tip, I'll check it out.