PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit pelts?

supertwist
08-24-2002, 10:06 AM
We are raising meat rabbits, and chose a breed with good fur. What needs to be done to the pelt before it is sold to a fur buyer? Are there fur buyers in Calgary? Is it possible or practical to prepare the furs for my own use or is tanning too difficult?

winged1
08-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Not sure that you'll find anyone interested in rabbit pelt. Being very delicate in nature it is not durable enough for most products. The synthetics have all but replaced it's use in the garment industry.

supertwist
08-27-2002, 11:51 AM
Thanks. I suppose we'll experiment with tanning methods and use the furs ourselves. Might be fun.

rabbit pelts
01-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Hey there,
I saw your post saying that you have some rabbit pelts that you were possibly looking for a buyer for. If the pelts are well skinned and there are enough of them? I would be interested in buying them as long as they are not tanned! I'm doing a replica rabbit skin blanket of the Piute style and can't seem to hunt enough to start on it any time soon! My e-mail is wintermoon81147@yahoo.com

rabbit pelts
01-28-2004, 08:27 AM
you can send them to some places to have them made into a hat if you have enough of them the hats are really warm

rabbits
02-04-2004, 05:02 PM
The silverfish moths love thems and will eat thems up. If you tan them keep and eye on them for at least a few weeks to prevent the fur being eaten away.;)

Ron
11-25-2007, 10:27 AM
As a fly fisherman I use rabbit fur for making flies. You may want to look into marketing your pelts to fly tyers.

jrs
11-25-2007, 10:31 AM
"The silverfish moths love thems and will eat thems up. If you tan them keep and eye on them for at least a few weeks to prevent the fur being eaten away."

X2, i made the mistake of not keeping an eye on one before, looked pretty bad.
I'd also second the fly tying market, the face usually sells for $4-5 if the colors are right, great material for many flys.

corygale
11-26-2007, 09:45 PM
What type of rabbits we raised new zealand whites back home(NL) and the hides are not near as delicate as wild rabbits, the meat was just like chicken, and had them get up to 17 lb around about maybe a litttle less but they were large, i think the skins would be good for something hats for sure mitts maybe but they are much more robust then wild rabbit sorry for going on just brought back some good memories, also had mohair one i think they were called could be wrong
and flies for fishin for sure