PDA

View Full Version : jiffy blade replace or sharpen?

happyfisher
11-01-2018, 11:26 AM
so my old jiffy runs like a top...carb was redone like 3 years ago.....but the blades have not been replaced or sharpened for ...id say....over 20 years.

i live in calgary and was wondering....should i just buy some new ones or is there a place in calgary that will sharpen mine?

mine has only 1 blade....but it looks like they come in packs of 2??? is that correct?

if i buy new ones is there a trick to replacing them?

tnx for any info

happy

pinelakeperch
11-01-2018, 12:03 PM
It depends on whether or not you can find someone who can reliably sharpen them for a good price.

If I were you, I'd buy a new pair, and get the old ones sharpened. That way you have two sets in case one set becomes damaged, lost, etc.

All I can say is don't try sharpening them yourself. Did that once... whoops :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Drewski Canuck
11-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Jiffy blade can be sharpened, but only from the top side down, and out to the end, if that makes any sense. Keep the angle the same, and DO LEAVE the Burr from the grinder, that is what engages the ice.

But yes, pick up a second set while you learn how to sharpen power auger blades. That way if you make a mistake, the trip is not lost.

Make sure you have an extra set of bolts and the right size tool to do the changes on the ice.

Drewski

Sooner
11-01-2018, 02:33 PM
I have touched up my blade at the start of every year and I keep a small file in the ice fishing tackle box for out on the ice. I'm sure a new blade would chew through faster but I can't say I have any complaints with how my sharpened blade cuts.

dwedmon
11-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Blades aren't very expensive - I always just ditch the old blades and buy a new set.

TimeOff
11-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Grab one of these, and take your time to sharpen. Works well on serrated blades.
https://www.amazon.ca/Smartcoco-Diamond-Fishing-Sharpener-Sharpening/dp/B073GRNRNV/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1541119969&sr=8-5&keywords=diamond+fish+hook+file

SamSteele
11-01-2018, 07:01 PM
If you have easy access to new blades just get them. My Strikemaster 8 1/4” single chipper blades are getting tough to find so I have had to order them from the US the last couple times so I had a couple sets resharpened. One was good, the other not.

FlyTheory
11-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Blades aren't very expensive - I always just ditch the old blades and buy a new set.

2x

timbo
11-02-2018, 08:38 AM
try the sharpening shop in Bowness he does a good job

JReed
11-02-2018, 11:04 AM
I sharpen my Jiffy ripper blades with my lansky sharpener. Just keep the stone at the same angle as the bevel, works like a charm.

At $50 for a pair of replacement blades, I'll sharpen my own and use that $50 elsewhere. Takes 10 minutes

calgarygringo
11-02-2018, 11:28 AM
Just take them and get them sharpened. 1 or 12 bucks and they are like new. Get an extra one too in ocase it hits ground or something. Then quick change and carry on. There are a few good shops depending what side of town you are on may be more convenient.

so my old jiffy runs like a top...carb was redone like 3 years ago.....but the blades have not been replaced or sharpened for ...id say....over 20 years.

i live in calgary and was wondering....should i just buy some new ones or is there a place in calgary that will sharpen mine?

mine has only 1 blade....but it looks like they come in packs of 2??? is that correct?

tnx for any info

happy

pinelakeperch
11-02-2018, 11:40 AM
I sharpen my Jiffy ripper blades with my lansky sharpener. Just keep the stone at the same angle as the bevel, works like a charm.

At $50 for a pair of replacement blades, I'll sharpen my own and use that $50 elsewhere. Takes 10 minutes

If you don't do it properly, it's a disaster. Good to have an extra set of blades.

Fishtracker
11-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Carbide Saw in Bowness is the guy. Has been sharpening mine for years.

bubba 96
11-04-2018, 12:37 PM
I take my blades to western saw in the ne, was like 12 bucks..

happyfisher
11-04-2018, 07:32 PM
i ended up just buying a new blade.....45 bucks.....then ill just get the other one sharpened just in case.....

but now i know bowness is the place to take my second blade!!!

tnx
all

kevinhits
11-05-2018, 10:52 AM

tnx for any info

happy

If you are in the South, Foothills sharpening just before Okotoks is my go to guy for all my blades and knives.....

happyfisher
11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
kool!!! thats closer to me!!!!

tnx

happy

hairycanary
11-09-2018, 03:39 PM
If you are in the South, Foothills sharpening just before Okotoks is my go to guy for all my blades and knives.....

he has moved down by Home Hardware a few months ago

Cold lake guy
11-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Take your jiffy ripper blade off the auger put 2 one inch by 1/4 bolts through the blade holes bolt heads on the blade side. Hold them in there with a couple of nuts from the other side now gently put the threaded portion that is sticking out in a bench vise so now shiny side of the cutting surface is facing up. Take a black marker and colour the shiny metal. Now take a 1 inch flat file and push from the cutting edge back after one pass check that you are rubbing off all the black marker if not correct your file angle. Should only take a few swipes and good as new, try and hit all the teeth in each pass. You can re apply the marker every swipe if you wish.
I have a jiffy 9” auger I bought years ago and is hard to find blades for and this is how I sharpen mine, only works with the single jiffy ripper blades. Take a pic of how the blade is mounted before you remove it from the auger if this is the first time so you get it back on the proper side of the metal plate.

pikergolf
11-10-2018, 08:55 AM
Take your jiffy ripper blade off the auger put 2 one inch by 1/4 bolts through the blade holes bolt heads on the blade side. Hold them in there with a couple of nuts from the other side now gently put the threaded portion that is sticking out in a bench vise so now shiny side of the cutting surface is facing up. Take a black marker and colour the shiny metal. Now take a 1 inch flat file and push from the cutting edge back after one pass check that you are rubbing off all the black marker if not correct your file angle. Should only take a few swipes and good as new, try and hit all the teeth in each pass. You can re apply the marker every swipe if you wish.
I have a jiffy 9” auger I bought years ago and is hard to find blades for and this is how I sharpen mine, only works with the single jiffy ripper blades. Take a pic of how the blade is mounted before you remove it from the auger if this is the first time so you get it back on the proper side of the metal plate.

Good advice, the Jiffy tooth blades are among the easiest to sharpen. Two minutes with a file and done.

happyfisher
11-10-2018, 02:02 PM
tnx...but i have no idea how to sharpen a blade...LOL......i read it and still dont u derstand....but my reading omprehension is at about a grade 3 level....LOL

happy

kevinhits
11-11-2018, 09:29 AM
he has moved down by Home Hardware a few months ago

Thanks for the heads up:)