PDA

View Full Version : Is a stupid fish worth a life?

223MB
11-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Here’s my rant and I know I’ll get roasted for it.

Why the hell cant people just stay off the ice for another week or two until there is 3+ inches of ice?!?
I just seen a Facebook post of some idiots who broke through the ice and could not get out. Luckily there were a few other bozos on the ice to save their butts.
The sad thing is these morons who require rescue often drag others in with them causing multiple casualties.
But hey, almost caught that one walleye over 50”..

pinelakeperch
11-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Here’s my rant and I know I’ll get roasted for it.

Why the hell cant people just stay off the ice for another week or two until there is 3+ inches of ice?!?
I just seen a Facebook post of some idiots who broke through the ice and could not get out. Luckily there were a few other bozos on the ice to save their butts.
The sad thing is these morons who require rescue often drag others in with them causing multiple casualties.
But hey, almost caught that one walleye over 50”..

I saw this on Facebook as well. Immediately I cringed. What a foolish thing to do.

swampy45
11-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Either be entirely prepared for worst case scenario, or don’t go. It’s simple. If you’re willing to put your own life at risk, you better be able to save yourself.

I personally will go fishing with the ice conditions as they are, but take precautions and am prepared for if things don’t go as planned. And it happens.

SNAPFisher
11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
News flash, this isn't Facebook :)
j/k

Actually I don't go on Facebook so can't comment specifically. That said there are some on here that have already been actively out prior to the warm up. I trust they would make the right call now based on the warmer weather likely ruining most early ice.

If there are some out there that are still risking and, especially dragging in others to get them out of a predicament that he/she created, then that is not cool.

SNAPFisher
11-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Either be entirely prepared for worst case scenario, or don’t go. It’s simple. If you’re willing to put your own life at risk, you better be able to save yourself.

I personally will go fishing with the ice conditions as they are, but take precautions and am prepared for if things don’t go as planned. And it happens.

Amen!

DiabeticKripple
11-13-2018, 12:38 PM
I saw a guy ice fishing the blind man river at Hwy 2 yesterday

Edit: I should’ve checked the regs when I saw this as I thought it was odd, but this fellow was indeed poaching as angling through the ice into flowing waters is not permitted in AB

223MB
11-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Honest question, not trying to stir the pot at all. When talking about fishing on ice 2” and less.

Do you think the risk is worth it?

Myself I have a family to support and loved ones to go home too. I wouldn’t want to put my family through a lifetime of heartache over a few silly fish.

KegRiver
11-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Seems to me that we need to let nature run it's course.
Natural selection and all that you know.

Dewey Cox
11-13-2018, 03:46 PM
The only time I've fished through 2" of ice was when I was 16.
And we swore we'd never try that again.
It was too much work breaking the ice to row the boat

Smoky buck
11-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Personally I would rather wait for it to get thicker but I don’t like being cold and wet at the same time

fish_e_o
11-13-2018, 04:15 PM
I guess it depends on the life in question.

Big Sky
11-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Scientific name - Fishingatus Bozoeus
Common name - Fishing Bozo

Winter habitat - fishing on top of 2 inches of ice.
Summer habitat - fishing in 30mph winds in a 12 foot tinner.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4Zssbq7/darwin-2.jpg

grouse_hunter
11-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Two inches of ice aren't enough in my opinion. Over three? Good to go!

bobalong
11-13-2018, 05:42 PM
The problem is ice rarely freezes evenly could be 2-3" then move over a bit and there is 1/2". 2-3" isn't enough for me for this reason.

I may be overly cautious but because of the inconsistency of the ice I like 6" to walk, 10-12" for sled and at least 16" to take truck on reasonably close to shore and 20" if fishing mid lake structure.

Mostly fish smaller lakes now, if I do go to any larger lakes and even if there are lots of trucks on I park on the edge and take the sled out.

Dweb
11-13-2018, 06:16 PM
The problem is ice rarely freezes evenly could be 2-3" then move over a bit and there is 1/2". 2-3" isn't enough for me for this reason.

I may be overly cautious but because of the inconsistency of the ice I like 6" to walk, 10-12" for sled and at least 16" to take truck on reasonably close to shore and 20" if fishing mid lake structure.

Mostly fish smaller lakes now, if I do go to any larger lakes and even if there are lots of trucks on I park on the edge and take the sled out.

^^ yup

raw outdoors
11-13-2018, 07:09 PM

This is a statement to live by. With hunting,fishing ,boating, swimming, snowmobiling, winter driving etc.

swampy45
11-13-2018, 08:12 PM
Honest question, not trying to stir the pot at all. When talking about fishing on ice 2” and less.

Do you think the risk is worth it?

Myself I have a family to support and loved ones to go home too. I wouldn’t want to put my family through a lifetime of heartache over a few silly fish.
I'll PM you. Its not worth the barrage of everyone on here when I give my opinion.

pikeman06
11-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Back when there wasn't a spring closure we fished some rotten ice you wouldn't let your poodle walk on but we were catchin 10 lb walleyes and football perch that we pursued relentlessly and that was the only time we could actually catch them. Was it worth it? ? To us it sure was at that time. Am I gonna tip toe out on 3 inches of ice to catch and release or dick around for a 12 inch rainbow? No friggen way José. We are lucky to be alive as those were the days with no cell phones but man did we catch some doozies first and last ice up north.

swampy45
11-13-2018, 08:28 PM
Two inches of ice aren't enough in my opinion. Over three? Good to go!

Ice does not form evenly on any body of water.

3" inches at shore in early winter is great, but how about 500 yards off shore?

Ice fishing at the end of the season? 4 feet of ice is great when you're on the lake until 5pm and head back to shore to find 20 feet of open water.

Know the lake, know the conditions, and know that there are always variables.

Red Bullets
11-13-2018, 09:36 PM
Seems to me that we need to let nature run it's course.
Natural selection and all that you know.

X2.

Probable outcome...
The more incidences with people going on thin ice that happen will lead to the ice fishing season being closed until the end of Dec when ice in Alberta is typically thick enough. We can't have the monkey see, monkey do way of thinking take hold. If people can't show restraint and reasoning regarding early ice the government will need to make new season laws to help manage the human herd.

PerchBuster
11-13-2018, 09:40 PM
Mother Nature for a millennia already has had a way of catching up to, and reckoning with, those who continue to press their luck. There is always an element of danger in the outdoors. People need to be cautious and smart enough to know where that line shouldn’t or doesn’t need to be be crossed whatever their outdoor recreation is. Hopefully this forum makes someone think twice about their Personal safety and maybe saves another tragedy from happening is all I can say. 2” is unsafe. If you fish early season you really should be using a spud bar to check thickness in short intervals as you work your way out but stay on 4” or more if walking on I say

RavYak
11-13-2018, 10:47 PM
There are always the handful of guys that are willing to push their luck trying to be the first ones on the ice or first to drive on etc.

The biggest problem with these guys is not the situations they put themselves in. It is that others less knowledgeable and experienced see them out there and think the ice is safe enough for them.

I remember the first time I went out fishing early ice and all I was focused on was that there were already tracks so I was fine. I didn't know who made the tracks and for all I know it could have been a 120 lb kid with a flotation suit and a buddy with a rope to pull him out if he fell in.

Just remember that your actions can and do influence other people. Best to set a good example and wait for 4 inches of ice before you start walking on.

338Bluff
11-14-2018, 12:27 AM
There have been lots of seasons where I've been on the ice before the end of November. If you know the lake and use common sense it's not that dangerous. Most if the fishing I would do this early is going to be in less than 4 FOW. That said I will be walking on a good week or more after the first vehicles start. Ice picks are a must this early. If you wait till the end of December some of the best perch, trout, and whitefish are done. 4 inches is my min.

grouse_hunter
11-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Ice does not form evenly on any body of water.

3" inches at shore in early winter is great, but how about 500 yards off shore?

Ice fishing at the end of the season? 4 feet of ice is great when you're on the lake until 5pm and head back to shore to find 20 feet of open water.

Know the lake, know the conditions, and know that there are always variables.

I don't ever go 500 yards of shore on 3 inches of ice...

Maybe 40-60 feet from the bank on smaller bodies of water is my limit for that ice thickness.

I concur that one must thoroughly know the water they are fishing whether hard or open!

Edit: as Perchbuster said use a spud bar too. I use a modified ice scrapper to check the thickness of ice every 5-6 feet as I traverse its' surface to the desired fishing spot.

graybeard
11-14-2018, 08:37 AM

X 2......

Not to derail but it is no different than trying to catch a foul ball....the fan puts everyone around him at risk of falling too, in saving his stupid azz.

Same concept; someone is duty bound to rescue you and risks his life....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOeo0nCYU-s

Elk Chaser
11-14-2018, 06:47 PM
I was asked on Sat past if I had been out ice fishing. OMFG are you kidding me. I replied that only retards would be out on lake ice trying to score a trout.

Fishtracker
11-14-2018, 08:28 PM
X 2......

Not to derail but it is no different than trying to catch a foul ball....the fan puts everyone around him at risk of falling too, in saving his stupid azz.

Same concept; someone is duty bound to rescue you and risks his life....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOeo0nCYU-s

Catching a foul ball is not even in the same ball park as putting you and others lives at risk. :confused:

220 Swift
11-14-2018, 08:39 PM
I am actually surprised the govts haven't put a minimum ice thickness in place to protect first responders etc. Punch or Drill a test hole and prove it 10 feet from shore and prove your hole if asked by a fish cop
They put in rules for everything else under the sun

Fishtracker
11-14-2018, 09:03 PM
I am actually surprised the govts haven't put a minimum ice thickness in place to protect first responders etc. Punch or Drill a test hole and prove it 10 feet from shore and prove your hole if asked by a fish cop
They put in rules for everything else under the sun

Only problem is ice conditions can change for the better or worse in a matter of hours. The govts would be liable if they are the ones declaring good ice from not good ice. Doubt they will take on that risk.

However, the more life threatening occurrences that happen, the govt may just decide to shut down ice fishing entirely which would the eliminate risk all together. If common sense is replaced for the hero first ice guy, hero first ice pic, they may not have a choice. I for one, don't want it to come to that.

bobalong
11-14-2018, 10:14 PM
X2.

Probable outcome...
The more incidences with people going on thin ice that happen will lead to the ice fishing season being closed until the end of Dec when ice in Alberta is typically thick enough. We can't have the monkey see, monkey do way of thinking take hold. If people can't show restraint and reasoning regarding early ice the government will need to make new season laws to help manage the human herd.

People are constantly told in many places what is safe ice and what is not. You really think the ones taking a chance are going to stop because it is law? We do not need laws to protect the very few who are dumb and the huge majority who are not, as already suggested that is what natural selection is for.

Isopod
11-15-2018, 12:10 AM
If too many people insist on fishing very thin ice, and run into rescue issues because of that, then expect the government to ban ice fishing until... December 15?... January 1?...could vary from lake to lake I suppose, recognizing that big lakes like Cold Lake freeze much later than small lakes. But expect it to have a much bigger safety margin than most responsible angers are keen on.

ddddd05
11-16-2018, 12:19 AM
Every November for the last 10 years I watch closely to see if any creeks freeze with clear ice. It is amazing to skate a creek with >2" of ice. The feeling in wonderous.

I have skated on Wabamun with a few inches of clear ice. No way you would catch any fish, they can see you very easily.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ice-thickness-safe-loads-d_1566.html

pikeman06
11-16-2018, 09:25 AM
I might be crazy for fishin thin ice but skating on thin ice is the ultimate death wish. Jump in a swimming pool with a pair of skates on and see how that goes.

struff55
11-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Actually the govt does have a chart that lists ice thickness for safe travel . Google is your friend .

JD848
11-18-2018, 12:14 AM
4 or five inches of good solid ice is good for a quad and will hold about 1500 pounds and to fish on,10 to 12 for truck,25 inches for a dump truck and 36 inches for a pulp truck loaded.This is solid blue ice,not slush frozen in layers.Air holes can pop up on any lake so if water is present in the snow becareful,of open large air holes.

This is on a normal lake with no large spings or current,if you have moving water under the ice stay off it until it's really thick,it can change over night.

If you don't know the deep spot in some lakes like the middle of a large trout lake,ice thick ness will be slower coming in due the warmer water that takes long to cool off.

If the average dept of a lake is almost the same all along then the ice will be the same over the whole lake near the shore,looks dumb.but works very well.

Plus for what it's worth buy a floater suit and some ice pics,or pull a 14 foot boat on thiner ice and fish tied up to the boat,i do this on rotten ice in the spring on deep trout lakes.

fishtank
11-19-2018, 01:24 PM
i think this situation falls under the darwin category ..:snapoutofit: