PDA

View Full Version : white fish

rottik9
11-16-2018, 12:27 PM
I have never fished white fish...I live in Cold Lake. I see white fish listed in a lot of lakes, any advise on how to fish them? hard water and from my boat.

thanks

bobalong
11-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Never really targeted Whites in open water but have caught a few by "accident" with just a jig and leech. I think most people target them more in the winter with a variety of wire worms and spoons. Most of my ice fishing and that wasn't a lot was for whites on Lac St. Anne and Pigeon and I probably caught most of the whites on metal colored Wetaskiwin specials or small silver Len Thompson spoons.

There are a few members on here who target Whites all winter and do very well, hopefully they will post.

Speckle55
11-16-2018, 08:10 PM
here is a video on ice fishing Lake Whitefish(not me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAANQ2JfUyY

if you have any questions ask

I also catch them on the fly rod

David:)

rottik9
11-17-2018, 11:38 AM
thanks guys...would the lakes around my area (cold lake)..hold good numbers of whitefish?

SNAPFisher
11-18-2018, 06:19 AM
thanks guys...would the lakes around my area (cold lake)..hold good numbers of whitefish?

Tons of them. Especially the lakes close to Cold Lake.

But, I have found them to be very wormy. If you can look past that... I could not. Even though I'm told they are harmless when cooked. I just couldn't do it.

I've sampled whites from most of the lakes up there along hwy 55 and 100% have worms. You can tell either visually when you see them wriggling around but most if you hold up the fillets against a light you will see a round to oval nodule in their flesh. If you open them up they are kind of puss like and stringy and the stringy parts are the worms...
You can cut them out of the fillets of course. A bit more work and makes a bit of a mess.

Sorry to be so graphic but I thought you might as well know when you might find. Now I've never caught one out of Cold Lake. Maybe they are clean there. Good luck.

rcales
11-18-2018, 09:11 AM
use the "Search this form" tool in the top RH side. lots of info