PDA

View Full Version : For the equipment geeks Shimano fishing reel

pikergolf
11-16-2018, 06:17 PM
What is the difference between these two reels?

https://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-Stradic-Spinning-Fishing-STCI4C3000HGFB/dp/B01HBQ6E2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542417121&sr=8-1&keywords=stradic%2Bci4%2Bspinning%2Breel&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Shimano-Stradic-Spinning-Fishing-STCI4C3000HGFB/dp/B01HBQ6CVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542417121&sr=8-1&keywords=stradic%2Bci4%2Bspinning%2Breel&th=1&psc=1

pikergolf
11-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Not sure what the HG stands for.

RavYak
11-16-2018, 06:45 PM
HG has a higher gear ratio (6.0 vs 5.0) and therefore retrieves line faster (35 inches per crank vs 28.7 inches). Would be better for crankbaits etc that you want to retrieve quickly.

pikergolf
11-16-2018, 06:48 PM
HG has a higher gear ratio (6.0 vs 5.0) and therefore retrieves line faster (35 inches per crank vs 28.7 inches). Would be better for crankbaits etc that you want to retrieve quickly.

Thanks for that, I was hoping you would weigh in. :)

Pikebreath
11-16-2018, 06:54 PM
From
http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Shimano_Product_Page.P-STRADIC_CI4%2B.html

Hagane Gear
With amazing strength and durability, the HAGANE Gear is at the very heart of the reel. Shimano, through the application of state-of-the-art technologies, gives you the long-lasting smoothness and pleasure that you feel when you first use a reel, over and over again. No cutting work is applied to the teeth of the drive gear. Instead the entire surface is calculated in minute detail by special 3D design and then formed by Shimano's cold forging technology. The result is assured resilience. It's the fruit of Shimano's inexhaustible pursuit for durability; the strength and power of forged metal continues to represent the fundamental concept of Shimano reels.

RavYak
11-16-2018, 08:29 PM
All models of Stradic Ci4+ have Hagane Gear.

Shimano uses PG, HG and XG to give idea of gear ratio on their reels. You can see this on different models of both spinning and low profile style.

PG is mostly seen on saltwater reels. It is a high power, lower speed ratio that makes it easier for cranking in big fish or heavy bait/lures.

HG is a high speed ratio for faster lure retrieval.

XG is extra high speed.

I am not sure how they determine what they call HG or XG etc. It isn't based on gear ratio or retrieve rate as it varies depending on the reel model. Maybe something to do with torque(and ratio then varies due to different length handles) but that is just a random thought. My guess is that just like rod ratings it is an arbitrary label that can sort of help distinguish between models but has to be taken with a grain of salt.

calgarygringo
11-16-2018, 08:55 PM
PM or maybe if he sees this Walleyedude. He would be able to fill you in on all the details you need to know.

Walleyedude
11-17-2018, 08:20 AM
HG has a higher gear ratio (6.0 vs 5.0) and therefore retrieves line faster (35 inches per crank vs 28.7 inches).

This.

Identical reels otherwise.

The HG version is more common and is my preference between the two.