PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing tent?

tool
11-22-2018, 03:51 PM
I've been thinking about an ice fishing tent, I've never used one before but it seems better than sitting on a 5 gallon pail in the wind.

What do you guys reccomend?

Wide variation in sizes and styles, some are insultaed while others are not it seems?

Generally I would only be fishing with just a couple other people but the option to have more would be nice?

I want something that is fairly fast and easy to set up and not a big pain in the neck.

I see Cabelas has some onsale for the black friday sale.

6 man, 6' x12' I think?

Has anyone used these before?

FishHunterPro
11-22-2018, 06:59 PM
That’s a pretty large tent, I would think you would be good with just a standard 4 sided tent that’s insulated. These are all good options and I don’t think your going to see them all go on sale until tomorrow morning. I’m hoping anyway and you probably can’t go wrong with any of these tents just pick the one that has the biggest savings

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/100270/cabelas-wide-bottom-thermal-hub-ice-shelter

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112353/clam-refuge-ice-thermal-flr-ice-shelter

I would try and find the Eskimo 949i before I bought this one

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112172/eskimo-outbreak-450i-insulated-ice-shelter

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112151/otter-outdoors-xth-pro-lodge-hub

tool
11-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Do you use a tent yourself? If so what style?

What do you feel the drawbacks of a larger one are?

FishHunterPro
11-22-2018, 07:42 PM
Do you use a tent yourself? If so what style?

What do you feel the drawbacks of a larger one are?

Yes I do, I have three tents and the most convient and fast are the 4 sided hub. My better one is the otter xth pro lodge. It’s a good size tent and seems to be built well, I’ve only owned that one for one season so far. All the ones I’ve mentioned are comparable to it. My friend has a nice 6’x12’ and it’s great but it just takes one time to setup and can be trickier in the wind but it’s not the end of the world . I also have a Clam 6 or 5 sided hub and it’s great but still takes longer to setup. The only reason I say they take longer is cause you should put pegs in all corners of the tent cause you don’t want to be like me and skip a few and have your tent take off on -25 and windy on Winefred lake while your fishing and have to chase it down lol.

EZM
11-22-2018, 08:11 PM
I would offer an alternative opinion.

As far as tents go, if you are fishing with 3 people inside it, a 6 man is a good choice. The bigger the better.

flasher, camera, heater, coffee pot, chairs, rods, a little bit of tackle and that tent is full.

I have a big clam (six sided) that's 11 x 11 (supposedly 8 man) and it's 2 guys comfortable and 4 guys snug with gear.

RavYak
11-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Some of my thoughts for picking a tent.

A 3 man tent is only good for 1-2 guys.
A 4 man tent(like Eskimo 949) is for 2 guys, can squeeze a 3rd guy in if needed.
A 6 man tent(6x12 style) works great for 2 guys with flashers/cameras etc, spreads hooks out better and can fairly comfortably fit up to 4 people.
Larger tent(like Eskimo 9416) is great if consistently having 4 people fishing or a couple extra non fishermen.
Hexagon or Octagon shape tents usually great for 2 guys, comfortable with 3 and can squeeze in a 4th.

Bigger the tent you have, the bigger the heater you need. Insulation does help a fair bit in keeping heat in but also makes tents significantly heavier(especially the larger tents). Insulated is really nice if you want to fish when it is -20 or -30 out. If you aren't going to go out in that cold of weather then non insulated is fine with a decent heater.

If fishing is main goal use multiple smaller tents when fishing with lots of people. You cover more ground and will catch more fish. If social is more important then you want at least big enough tents you can bounce around to visit in.

One other thing to think about is positioning. If you want to be social then need to think out what you are going to do for lines. If 3 guys are fishing in a square 4 man tent you either have to drill holes in 3 of the corners with each guy facing a corner and each others backs or holes in middle of tent with each guy fishing right on top of each other. With octagon shape tent with more room you can organize things so can sort of face each other. With 6 man tent you sit in a row facing the same direction can share camera screen etc.

tool
11-22-2018, 09:09 PM
Any particular brands that are better than others? Any to avoid?

HowSwedeItIs
11-22-2018, 09:31 PM
I was in the same situation last year so I bought an insulated quickfish 3. My buddy has the insulated quickfish 5, very comfortable for three people as you can spread your gear out and have some leg room. You feel like a king sitting in one. Its also a pain to set up and take down as its very heavy, especially when its extremely cold out and it stiffens up- that's the tradeoff.

The quickfish 3 is really too small for three people and gear. It would not be comfortable fishing, when I do find myself out with two buddies I take a small plano tackle box only and whatever else fits in the bucket. It can be done (and is preferable to freezing on those -30 days) but its pretty cozy especially when everyone has a flasher. Where it shines though is that I can pack it up easy by myself and it makes solo trips very nice

FlyTheory
11-22-2018, 10:11 PM
Insulated is always great, but you have to remember that the ice radiates the cold and a insulated shelter, while a little better than a non-insulated shelter, isn’t a magic solution. If price is a concern, get non-insulated and make sure your heater works regardless!

JohninAB
11-23-2018, 12:44 AM
I have a 949i. About right size for 2 guys with all the gear (heater, camera, 2 flashers, rod bags, lunch bags, decent chairs etc).

Have fished in EZM’s big Clam, nice tent and roomier by far than mine but it too can fill up in a hurry.

Based on what you have stated I would say the Eskimo 9416 line be a good choice as it is a big tent but is a bit of a chore to setup if by yourself.

Or the other be the Eskimo 450i which would fit 3 anglers probably nicely and maybe a 4th dependent on gear etc. Nice thing with the 450i is the full length door makes entry and exit much nicer than traditional style shelter doors you have to step thru.

Non-insulated tents are prone to condensation so personally, I would not buy a non-insulated model. My 949i is an insulated model and I have fished in -30 weather no problem. Side of tent away from heater at ice level may get a bit white inside but my Big Buddy heater keeps it comfortable inside no problem.

As for the ice in shack, I always clear the snow before I setup my tent and once the tent is set up, I put down foam pads which help traction plus may add a bit of insulation from the ice as well.

Picture of inside my 949i to show the foam pads. That is a day out by myself so I am a bit more spread out but you get the idea. Yes I am a bit of a gear hound, think I caught it from EZM! :sHa_sarcasticlol: But if you are going to be out there all day, might as well be comfortable but hole hopping is out of the question.

As always just my opinions based on my experiences.

Speckle55
11-23-2018, 11:53 AM
I like the one man Ht tents

easy to set up and take down (box tent set-up)

chair included

lite weight

black so sun helps

put my ice fishing camera in corner

heater in other if needed

2 tents on sled then auger can walk around easy

David:)

Poppa
11-23-2018, 01:48 PM
For me, the insulated ones aren't worth the money. However, the best advice I can give you on what IS worth the money, is size. Get the biggest tent you can afford. There's never enough room, no matter how big the tent is. We made do with a "4-man" (more like comfy 2) Clam BaseCamp for the last few years, but this year upgraded to the Eskimo 9490's that CT had on sale. They say up to 9 people, but more likely it'll fit 4 comfortably. Heating these tents is really easy. Either a buddy heater or a sunflower propane head will keep you in good shape and out of the wind.

tool
11-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice and input.

I'd love it if someone had thoughts or hopefully personal experience with this tent at Cabela's that I'm drawn to and is on sale right now.

It's not insulated but is 6'x12', just Cabelas's house brand but it's on sale right now for $329.99

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112310/cabelas-6-ft-x-12-ft-six-person-hub-ice-shelter-combo

sns2
11-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice and input.

I'd love it if someone had thoughts or hopefully personal experience with this tent at Cabela's that I'm drawn to and is on sale right now.

It's not insulated but is 6'x12', just Cabelas's house brand but it's on sale right now for $329.99

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112310/cabelas-6-ft-x-12-ft-six-person-hub-ice-shelter-combo

That is a great deal. Free shipping. I have looked closely at them and there is no difference between them and the other major manufacturers. Why? Because they are made in the same Chinese factory.

sns2
11-23-2018, 08:49 PM
I have a 949i. About right size for 2 guys with all the gear (heater, camera, 2 flashers, rod bags, lunch bags, decent chairs etc).

Have fished in EZM’s big Clam, nice tent and roomier by far than mine but it too can fill up in a hurry.

Based on what you have stated I would say the Eskimo 9416 line be a good choice as it is a big tent but is a bit of a chore to setup if by yourself.

Or the other be the Eskimo 450i which would fit 3 anglers probably nicely and maybe a 4th dependent on gear etc. Nice thing with the 450i is the full length door makes entry and exit much nicer than traditional style shelter doors you have to step thru.

Non-insulated tents are prone to condensation so personally, I would not buy a non-insulated model. My 949i is an insulated model and I have fished in -30 weather no problem. Side of tent away from heater at ice level may get a bit white inside but my Big Buddy heater keeps it comfortable inside no problem.

As for the ice in shack, I always clear the snow before I setup my tent and once the tent is set up, I put down foam pads which help traction plus may add a bit of insulation from the ice as well.

Picture of inside my 949i to show the foam pads. That is a day out by myself so I am a bit more spread out but you get the idea. Yes I am a bit of a gear hound, think I caught it from EZM! :sHa_sarcasticlol: But if you are going to be out there all day, might as well be comfortable but hole hopping is out of the question.

Nice setup John. This obviously ain't your first rodeo.

FishHunterPro
11-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Good tents for sale at Cabela’s today

pinelakeperch
11-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Nice set up! Curious as to where you picked up that folding table and the interlocking foam pads. Thanks :)

JohninAB
11-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Thanks. The table I got at Canadian Tire in 2014 I believe.

The interlocking foam pads I got at CT as well but Princess Auto, Wal-Mart etc all sell them I believe. Anti fatigue mats think they are called. Also are used for kids play areas.

tool
11-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Coleman Weathermaster 10 person tent (https://largecampingtentsreviews.com) is easy and quick to set up. This is nice as when you get to camping you want to get to the fun stuff and not spend hours setting up the tent

Great, that is one that I haven't seen for sale anywhere around here. Do you know who has them?

Does anyone use theirs for summer camping? Is their any reason why you can't? Too hot?

tool
11-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Great, that is one that I haven't seen for sale anywhere around here. Do you know who has them?

Does anyone use theirs for summer camping? Is their any reason why you can't? Too hot?

This doesn't look like it's an ice fishing tent at all?

This looks like a regular tent with a nylon tarp floor?????

SamSteele
11-28-2018, 07:25 PM
This doesn't look like it's an ice fishing tent at all?

This looks like a regular tent with a nylon tarp floor?????

Troll post to try and sell something. Ignore it.

tool
12-24-2018, 04:55 PM
So I picked myself up an almost new Rapala Sherpa 6, supposed to be 6 man tent today.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Anybody use one of these Rapala tents before?
I haven't set it up yet.

Haven't decided on what to heat it with.

Kako
12-24-2018, 05:42 PM
I have the cabellas non insulated tent. It's the 4 person tent wide bottom that's on sale now for 289.

Really like it. I've used the frabill hq 100 and I like the cabeas more because there is more room for my wife and kid.

In addition the material seems to be better.

A small buddy worked for us at -10/-15 on low setting. We always take hot drinks and down jackets.

The tent will break the wind that's the most important feature of the tent, keep you out of the elements.

A heater is nice but you will need to keep warm in different ways. Sitting still and relying on the heater won't help you when you need to take the tent down and pack up.

Always have a thermos with hot drinks, good jacket and pants, good socks and boots, and good gloves. Packing things up when the wind is blowing it can bring the temps down below -20 on what most would call nice days.

Stay safe have fun you got a great tent. Now that you got one. Use it till it's broken!!

CBintheNorth
01-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Old thread, I know.

Was looking at getting a big insulated tent and saw cabelas had their brand on sale. After stepping inside of one there is no way I would ever buy one.
What office junkie thought it was a good idea to put all of that monster-sized stitching everywhere? It was almost as light inside the tent as it was outside.
I could see it being very annoying if you're trying to see down the hole.

Having said that, anyone have experience with any of the following?
Mostly for family use. Have a big enough heater to heat any of them.
May occasionally do an overnight with cots on the ice with 3 or 4 people.

Input would be appreciated.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/141301/otter-outdoors-vortex-monster-lodge-thermal-hub-shelter

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/141233/eskimo-outbreak-650xd-ice-shelter

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=/Eskimo/FATFISH-INSULATED-9416i-POP-UP-PORTABLE/&se=28688

coxy95
01-05-2021, 11:52 AM
I've got the 9416 and it has been excellent, mine is not insulated and stays plenty warm with my big buddy heater on low for me, med to high for the mrs. i don't think you'd get 4 cots in it though

HuyFishin
01-05-2021, 12:03 PM
4 cots crammed up side by side will take up 11 feet x 7 feet of space haha

You will be able to squeeze them inside but fishin probably wouldnt work out.

you would have about one foot of space on one side and three feet on the other side left over.

CBintheNorth
01-05-2021, 12:08 PM
I should clarify, we would use the smaller cots for the kids and the cots would only be in there to sleep. Otherwise they'd go back in the truck and the chairs would come back in.
Full grown men would be 3 max (post-covid of course:))

THLTD
01-05-2021, 12:21 PM
I have an Eskimo 450i for sale. It is a very nice tent and fishes 4 guys and gear comfortably. The dooor is full opening and do not have to step over the lip to get in. We have a smaller one and the only reason for selling is to go bigger again.
looking for $500.00...New at the FH is $650.00

HuyFishin
01-05-2021, 12:23 PM
I should clarify, we would use the smaller cots for the kids and the cots would only be in there to sleep. Otherwise they'd go back in the truck and the chairs would come back in.
Full grown men would be 3 max (post-covid of course:))

Makes sense. You should look at Clam X tents. This is what mainly caught my eye. The warranty on them are 3 years. many eskimo and otter tents I believe are 1 year. Not sure if this makes a difference to you.

58thecat
01-05-2021, 03:43 PM

As far as tents go, if you are fishing with 3 people inside it, a 6 man is a good choice. The bigger the better.

flasher, camera, heater, coffee pot, chairs, rods, a little bit of tackle and that tent is full.

I have a big clam (six sided) that's 11 x 11 (supposedly 8 man) and it's 2 guys comfortable and 4 guys snug with gear.

exactly...we went with a 6 man tent...very comfy for the two of us...we have a table set along one wall with gear on it etc...heater below....large comfy chairs.. 3 holes 1 each for fishing and 1 for the fish liar....I put the end into the wind...stake in four corners or just tied off one end to the quad...frabill hq300.

HuyFishin
01-05-2021, 04:05 PM
exactly...we went with a 6 man tent...very comfy for the two of us...we have a table set along one wall with gear on it etc...heater below....large comfy chairs.. 3 holes 1 each for fishing and 1 for the fish liar....I put the end into the wind...stake in four corners or just tied off one end to the quad...frabill hq300.

The Frabill HQ series of tents are non insulated but they are definitely the best bang for the buck. HQ300 at full price is still cheaper then a comparable eskimo when on sale.

58thecat
01-05-2021, 04:15 PM
The Frabill HQ series of tents are non insulated but they are definitely the best bang for the buck. HQ300 at full price is still cheaper then a comparable eskimo when on sale.

this is year two for us and no complaints other than the so called plastic windows that you can put on crumbled in -25 weather last year....we had it in some windstorms too and no rips etc....gets used about 20-30 times a season...will see how it holds up...ohhh and a little buddy heater keeps it comfy warm too as I hate ice forming on the ice holes inside....wife wants another heater:sHa_sarcasticlol: just to cook over:)

trophyhunter
01-05-2021, 06:19 PM

Sorry to derail but a quick question on the clam. How is the quality on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertanGP
01-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Sorry to derail but a quick question on the clam. How is the quality on it?

I've never had any problems with any of my Clam hubs or flip-overs. Otters are the best though. As someone who paid through the nose to get an Otter XT Pro X-Over Resort special-ordered last season, I think anyone who doesn't take the opportunity to get an Otter from Cabelas while they carry them is nuts. I picked up one of the new Vortex Lodge hubs, but am thinking I might have been happier with the Resort hub after fishing with the son all holidays.

As others have said get the biggest tent you can afford, unless you are packing it by hand. And insulated>>>non-insulated unless you like getting dripped on.

AlbertanGP
01-06-2021, 06:00 PM
Old thread, I know.

Having said that, anyone have experience with any of the following?
Mostly for family use. Have a big enough heater to heat any of them.
May occasionally do an overnight with cots on the ice with 3 or 4 people.

Input would be appreciated.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/141301/otter-outdoors-vortex-monster-lodge-thermal-hub-shelter

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/141233/eskimo-outbreak-650xd-ice-shelter

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=/Eskimo/FATFISH-INSULATED-9416i-POP-UP-PORTABLE/&se=28688

I have the 9416i, and I only use it for winter camping. It works well for that. We keep the bunks on one side and fish on the other...sorta like having a 949i to fish in next to another 949i to sleep in.

I don't have the Otter Vortex Monster Lodge. But I do have the Otter Vortex Lodge. The Otter is better built than the Eskimo. Otter's fabric is second to none. The Otter is also grey inside where the Eskimo is black...the Eskimo is pretty dark during the day...may or may not be your thing.

I don't have any of the geometric (5 or 6 sides) hubs, so I can't comment on the Outbreak 650XD other than to recommend you look at the Otter Vortex Resort (https://www.cabelas.ca/product/141320/otter-outdoors-vortex-resort-thermal-hub-shelter) as well if you're interested in it. HTH.

AlbertanGP
01-06-2021, 06:02 PM
4 cots crammed up side by side will take up 11 feet x 7 feet of space haha

You will be able to squeeze them inside but fishin probably wouldnt work out.

you would have about one foot of space on one side and three feet on the other side left over.

You're doing it wrong... (https://discobedshop.ca/)

AlbertanGP
01-06-2021, 06:08 PM

The cat brings up an important point. Buy these (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-strathcona-folding-chair-0766048p.html?_br_psugg_q=camping+chair) chairs. One of the best things I ever bought for ice fishing. I bring them everywhere from a day spent outside with my back to the wind on a remote pack in lake to overnight camping. The old Eskimos (https://geteskimo.com/collections/shelter-accessories/products/69813-chair-folding-ice-complete) don't go out any more. You're welcome. :)

CBintheNorth
01-06-2021, 06:16 PM
I have the 9416i, and I only use it for winter camping. It works well for that. We keep the bunks on one side and fish on the other...sorta like having a 949i to fish in next to another 949i to sleep in.

I don't have the Otter Vortex Monster Lodge. But I do have the Otter Vortex Lodge. The Otter is better built than the Eskimo. Otter's fabric is second to none. The Otter is also grey inside where the Eskimo is black...the Eskimo is pretty dark during the day...may or may not be your thing.

I don't have any of the geometric (5 or 6 sides) hubs, so I can't comment on the Outbreak 650XD other than to recommend you look at the Otter Vortex Resort (https://www.cabelas.ca/product/141320/otter-outdoors-vortex-resort-thermal-hub-shelter) as well if you're interested in it. HTH.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I've narrowed it to the 9416i or the monster lodge.
Decided the extra length is much better suited to my needs.

I was curious about that, what is it like to fish with a grey interior? I always thought they were black inside to make it easier to see down the hole?

AlbertanGP
01-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Black is easier to see down the hole. But it's also like night time all day long. You'll step out of a black tent on all but the coldest days and wish you were just fishing outside. I go fishing to be outdoors, not to feel like I stayed home cooped up in my basement all day. There is a reason Eskimo started offering the 949iG (https://geteskimo.com/collections/pop-ups/products/fatfish-949ig-gray-interior), and even get away with charging a premium for it.

The gray interior is plenty dark if you shut all the windows to sight fish. But if you crack a door or open a window, it is much brighter inside. HTH.

Moosetalker
01-06-2021, 08:02 PM
I have 2 Eskimo insulated Quick-flip tents. a 2 man {perfect for 1 person] and a 3 man {good for 2 roomy enough to have big Buddy heater Just right size for -20c and camera table as well} Chairs are top notch and assembly was not hard. Lots of room in sled portion for all gear incl heater etc fabric and window plastic great still after 10 years of use.

Tents have 1 and Only 1 flaw the plastic sleeves on the slides crack in the extreme cold. I have been able to plastic weld the cracks and or a wrap of Duct tape works.

I called Eskimo asked about replacements has to be a full pole set will not sell or replace individual sleeves.

HuyFishin
01-06-2021, 08:25 PM
I have 2 Eskimo insulated Quick-flip tents. a 2 man {perfect for 1 person] and a 3 man {good for 2 roomy enough to have big Buddy heater Just right size for -20c and camera table as well} Chairs are top notch and assembly was not hard. Lots of room in sled portion for all gear incl heater etc fabric and window plastic great still after 10 years of use.

Tents have 1 and Only 1 flaw the plastic sleeves on the slides crack in the extreme cold. I have been able to plastic weld the cracks and or a wrap of Duct tape works.

I called Eskimo asked about replacements has to be a full pole set will not sell or replace individual sleeves.

I had the same issue on my Eskimo flipmo. The plastic sleeve all cracked and broke into tiny bits after one trip with a snowmobile. I probably won’t buy another Eskimo Tent

trophyhunter
01-06-2021, 08:29 PM
I've never had any problems with any of my Clam hubs or flip-overs. Otters are the best though. As someone who paid through the nose to get an Otter XT Pro X-Over Resort special-ordered last season, I think anyone who doesn't take the opportunity to get an Otter from Cabelas while they carry them is nuts. I picked up one of the new Vortex Lodge hubs, but am thinking I might have been happier with the Resort hub after fishing with the son all holidays.

As others have said get the biggest tent you can afford, unless you are packing it by hand. And insulated>>>non-insulated unless you like getting dripped on.

100%. The tent I want is the Otter resort just can’t find supply anywhere. Found a couple clams that look comparable just wanted first hand experience with quality.

AlbertanGP
01-06-2021, 08:38 PM
If it's the flip-over XT Pro X-Over Resort you're looking for, shoot me a PM. I may know someone that has one if she hasn't already sold it.

OL_JR
01-07-2021, 05:55 AM

It's that tight for two people? Shack shopping right now and was considering one of these. Either that or another flipover. Just want something a little smaller and quicker than our quickfish 6it. How are the bags with the otter hubs? The eskimo is nearly impossible to stuff into it's carry sack if it's gathered frost inside on a cold day.

Moo Snukkle
01-07-2021, 06:29 AM
It's that tight for two people? Shack shopping right now and was considering one of these. Either that or another flipover. Just want something a little smaller and quicker than our quickfish 6it. How are the bags with the otter hubs? The eskimo is nearly impossible to stuff into it's carry sack if it's gathered frost inside on a cold day.

The otter bags are huge. I’ve had zero issues getting my Lodge into its bag. I’ve also had mine out in some pretty nasty wind. The tie down system on them is excellent. You’d be happy with the purchase.

Smoky buck
01-07-2021, 06:55 AM
Best ice fishing tent is my truck, it has a heater, radio, comfortable seats, and extremely mobile

I was given an ice tent for Christmas years ago and I think I may have used it 10 times tops. I found I catch way more fish keeping mobile and spreading out rather then sticking to a tent. I drill multiple holes when I arrive drop a dead stick bait and move around the other holes with another rod. If the action is slow I expand my area or move and start another set of holes

I found a catch less fish sticking to a tent because I cover less ground. Or I set it up and basically don’t use it. I only like it on cold days on early ice when it’s too thin for my truck

But I am not a big ice fisherman, I don’t own electronics, and it’s really just passing time till open water comes. But I am rarely skunked even being new on a lake even when I see others seeing no action

So take my opinion for what it’s worth I am not a big ice guy but I definitely catch fish :)

AlbertanGP
01-07-2021, 07:52 AM

It's fine for two people. I'm more concerned about using it as a one man overnighter. I bought it to use solo, so it should be fine. I've just been asking myself if for 10 extra pounds I should just get a Resort.

The bag is one of the main reasons to get an Otter over an Eskimo. One person can stow a Monster Lodge in the bag alone. Unlike the goofy Eskimo bag that is too small and has to be loaded from the end, the Otters are oversized and have a zipper that runs the length of the bag to make packing easier. Honestly, I don't know why Eskimo doesn't spend $3 in extra material to make a reasonable pack bag. I don't even try to get the 9416i back in its bag. I just ratchet strap it at the end of the day.

AlbertanGP
01-07-2021, 07:54 AM
I found a catch less fish sticking to a tent because I cover less ground.

You will 100% catch less fish with a hub shelter, because you will get lazy and not move as often as you should.

Watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=721jqxILsIo) Dave Genz's comment at 4:00...

SamSteele
01-07-2021, 09:03 AM

Have the same tent and I made a couple webbing cinch straps with Velcro to squeeze it down and get it back into the bag. Cost me less than $10 for materials at Fabricland and so much easier to get back in.

OL_JR
01-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Have the same tent and I made a couple webbing cinch straps with Velcro to squeeze it down and get it back into the bag. Cost me less than $10 for materials at Fabricland and so much easier to get back in.

I do run some rope to get it to try and cinch tighter and it's not to bad on milder days when there isn't as much condensation and frost build up but I find when there is a lot of build up you can try and clean it off as much as possible and get it squeezed tight but it's still a bit of a struggle. First world problems I know but kind of a pain nonetheless. I'd really like just to find a new bag for it but haven't as of yet.

You will 100% catch less fish with a hub shelter, because you will get lazy and not move as often as you should.

Watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=721jqxILsIo) Dave Genz's comment at 4:00...

That's the beauty of a flip over, have had a couple and currently run an older clam yukon, they are just so handy. Not only for moving but storing gear. Ideally would like to add another one but they are really in short supply right now. Downside is they take up a lot of room. If I do go with another one I plan to build a bit of a shelf in the back of the truck to stack one upon another when not pulling a trailer.

It's fine for two people. I'm more concerned about using it as a one man overnighter. I bought it to use solo, so it should be fine. I've just been asking myself if for 10 extra pounds I should just get a Resort.

The bag is one of the main reasons to get an Otter over an Eskimo. One person can stow a Monster Lodge in the bag alone. Unlike the goofy Eskimo bag that is too small and has to be loaded from the end, the Otters are oversized and have a zipper that runs the length of the bag to make packing easier. Honestly, I don't know why Eskimo doesn't spend $3 in extra material to make a reasonable pack bag. I don't even try to get the 9416i back in its bag. I just ratchet strap it at the end of the day.

The otter bags are huge. I’ve had zero issues getting my Lodge into its bag. I’ve also had mine out in some pretty nasty wind. The tie down system on them is excellent. You’d be happy with the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback. I did notice that the anchoring system looked better on the otter and good to hear that it works well.

globetrekker
01-07-2021, 08:19 PM
make sure you go for better quality ones directly

cgrif
01-07-2021, 10:54 PM
Hi there. I went with the insulated Eskimo 9i series. It’s big and fairly heavy and wasn’t looking for the six man, but the deal was very good and I have the snow machine and sled to tow it. One advantage to the bigger tent is I can stay over night and have many times. It’s warm with a small heater and very comfortable to sleep in. It would be crowded for two with gear, but one man with cot stove and all the stuff is very cozy. If over night trips are something you’d like to do, then the six man insulated is the way to go. I never realized just how many fish bite hooks in the middle of the night until I started sleeping on the ice😀. I’ll post some pics of my out fit. I don’t know how to properly do that so it might take several posts to get the pics to you.

cgrif
01-07-2021, 11:01 PM
Here is the last trip

cgrif
01-07-2021, 11:03 PM
Here is the tent and the outfit to pull the heavy thing

CBintheNorth
01-08-2021, 12:06 AM
Hi there. I went with the insulated Eskimo 9i series. It’s big and fairly heavy and wasn’t looking for the six man, but the deal was very good and I have the snow machine and sled to tow it. One advantage to the bigger tent is I can stay over night and have many times. It’s warm with a small heater and very comfortable to sleep in. It would be crowded for two with gear, but one man with cot stove and all the stuff is very cozy. If over night trips are something you’d like to do, then the six man insulated is the way to go. I never realized just how many fish bite hooks in the middle of the night until I started sleeping on the ice😀. I’ll post some pics of my out fit. I don’t know how to properly do that so it might take several posts to get the pics to you.

That's almost exactly what I'm after. Thanks.
Might just look at getting the bunks as another poster said, to save space. Would take it out during the day if we needed more room.
If the weather is nice I prefer to fish outside anyway so we can hop around to different holes and get some vitamin D.

CBintheNorth
01-10-2021, 10:33 PM
Well, went with the Otter Monster Lodge and am very happy with it so far.
Material is really thick and the whole thing seems well built. The bag for it is awesome too.
BUT, all that extra goodness comes at a cost....this thing is heavy!
2 man set up is recommended, but not impossible with 1 person.
I can't wait to try it out on an overnight trip.

AlbertanGP
01-11-2021, 08:38 AM
:happy0180: