PDA

View Full Version : 36V Bow mount

Off in the Bushes
11-29-2018, 07:26 PM
I am weight the pro and cons of a 9.9hp kicker Vs. a 36V now mount. Anybody on here have a bow mount that big? How many batteries are you running? What was the cost of set up? I have an enclose bow how hard is it to mount a bracket for that motor?

huntsfurfish
11-29-2018, 09:01 PM
If you are mostly fishing Walleye than go with 36 volt bow mount.
Way more control. You will need to add 3 - 12volt batteries.

How big is the boat, you might only need a 24 volt bow mount?

Pics of the bow might help others with mount ideas.

Kicker adds higher speed trolling and extra motor for safety if on big water.

PlayDoh
11-29-2018, 09:48 PM
Although there both used for trolling, one doesn’t replace the other IMO. An electric bow mount is a must if you ask me, on any boat. An enclosed bow isn’t a problem, in fact you can better position it, as in straight on.
If you were fishing Big water, with serious waves and tons of ground to cover, then consider a kicker. Otherwise it’s unlikely you would ever choose a kicker over an electric.

As to 36v, you would need 3 deep cycles (12+12+12). I run a 24v 70 pound MK and I can go like 12 hours, which is like 2-3 days. Depends on weather. This is on a 16 foot boat.

I say a 36v are for 24 foot or more boats. Not like you couldn’t use it on a canoe, and since you have an enclosed bow you might have the room and the weight won’t change too much.

With my 2 Big deepcycles under my consoles, and 1 or more adult in the bow seats, getting on plane takes a bit for my 70 horse to lift.

Oh, and get your batteries at Costco. Not only are they significantly cheaper, there great batteries. I have 1 that’s 10 years old that still holds a fair charge. I get new ones for the boat every 3-4 years, and the old ones go to the travel trailer.

fish99
11-30-2018, 10:18 AM
with the closed bow get the self deploy and stow , you will love it , no going out on the front , expensively in big waves

TROLLER
11-30-2018, 10:48 AM
I am weight the pro and cons of a 9.9hp kicker Vs. a 36V now mount. Anybody on here have a bow mount that big? How many batteries are you running? What was the cost of set up? I have an enclose bow how hard is it to mount a bracket for that motor?

you are fishing the wind almost every time out. I don't have to tell you how hard it can blow. Use a kicker, it will slow you to a crawl for bottom bouncing as well as it is a back up if your main motor quits. While I have used both the kicker may best way for you/ You can always keep your eyes out for good used bow

SamSteele
11-30-2018, 11:15 AM
I run a 36v Ulterra on my pro staff boat, which is 20 feet. I also have a 9.9 Pro Kicker. I use the electric quite a bit more than the kicker, particularly for walleye. If I use the kicker it is often just to provide more thrust and I use the electric to still steer and follow contours with my networked Humminbirds.

The remote deploy & stow of the Ulterra would be very helpful with a closed bow. How big is your boat? I had a 24v Terrova on my last boat (18.5 foot) and I did not feel underpowered.

Off in the Bushes
11-30-2018, 08:33 PM
I run a 36v Ulterra on my pro staff boat, which is 20 feet. I also have a 9.9 Pro Kicker. I use the electric quite a bit more than the kicker, particularly for walleye. If I use the kicker it is often just to provide more thrust and I use the electric to still steer and follow contours with my networked Humminbirds.

The remote deploy & stow of the Ulterra would be very helpful with a closed bow. How big is your boat? I had a 24v Terrova on my last boat (18.5 foot) and I did not feel underpowered.

It a big boat at around 20 feet. It a mid 80’s big old fibreglass boat with a inboard V6 so it quite heavy. The enclosed bow is going to make it difficult to mount. As I don’t think you have access up there as that’s where the fuel tank it stored. I sits fairly deep in the water too.

I am undecided if I want to make this work as it’s not ideal for fishing as there no place to even mount a chair base on the bow.
Does one put a little cash into it and make it work, or dig into the bank and buy a boat that checks all the boxes.

SamSteele
11-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Yeah, it’s always tough to decide if you want to do some work to make a square peg fit in a round hole or just get the right peg.

I suspect that a dealer would be able to rig your current boat up with a 36v Ulterra, but it won’t be a cheap addition. I’m guessing in the neighbourhood of $4k or so, depending on the model you choose and how difficult the installation is. Plus the three batteries.

If you do decide to go this route I would go with the 36v 60” shaft Ulterra with iPilot so you can control it with a hand held remote. If you have Humminbird Sonar with network capability you will want the iPilot Link so you can controll it off your Sonar unit as well.

Your call on whether it’s worth it or if you would be better served with a different rig.

SS

Off in the Bushes
11-30-2018, 09:21 PM
Sam
The entire point is to simplify and streamline the experience so it’s more enjoyable and less work. Right tool for the right job. It’s like buying snap tools to fix the lawn motor or buying power fist. Both can do the job the first time but the 10 time is the tool going to be up for the task. But once cry once?
So undecided.

SamSteele
12-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Sam

The entire point is to simplify and streamline the experience so it’s more enjoyable and less work. Right tool for the right job. It’s like buying snap tools to fix the lawn motor or buying power fist. Both can do the job the first time but the 10 time is the tool going to be up for the task. But once cry once?

So undecided.

I think you need to decide if you like your current boat for your needs. If all it’s missing for you is the electric, it makes sense to add it to your current boat. If you don’t like your boat for what you want it to do it make be worthwhile to look at what you would get selling it, add the $4k you would spend on this electric set up to that, and see if you could buy something suited to your needs that has the electric on it already, plus the other features you want.

bobalong
12-02-2018, 03:09 PM
I had a kicker on my boat 18 1/2 foot but found it never worked well for forward trolling in a wind, you were always having to go to fast to control the line of the boat. For boat control a bow mount electric is the only way to go but it appears you may have a mounting problem.

The other option to a gas kicker would be a single or double engine mount electric, but If you go single go a 36 volt (101lb,)

Off in the Bushes
12-02-2018, 03:32 PM
I think you need to decide if you like your current boat for your needs. If all it’s missing for you is the electric, it makes sense to add it to your current boat. If you don’t like your boat for what you want it to do it make be worthwhile to look at what you would get selling it, add the $4k you would spend on this electric set up to that, and see if you could buy something suited to your needs that has the electric on it already, plus the other features you want.

My boat actually leave more unchecked box then it does check for what I want out of a boat, so I think that I am going to part with it and when the time comes ($$$$$) I’ll purchase a boat that better suits my needs/wants in a boat.