PDA

View Full Version : VX-Freedom Tri-MOA

Big Sky
12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
I'm looking for a scope to put on my 17HMR. It's a CZ455.

Kicking myself for not grabbing up a vx-2 in 4-12x40 before they were discontinued.

Not wanting to spend too much, but at the same time I would like something of decent quality.
Was looking at a Leupold VX-Freedom in 4-12x40 with the Tri-MOA reticle.
Not seeing a ton of info online.

Anyone here have one?
How's the glass?
Do you like the reticle? Is it too 'busy' ? I've seen that complaint from people.

jayquiver
12-03-2018, 03:02 PM
I'm looking at the same one for my 22lr. I was able to look through one at Canadian Tire. I found my eye focused quickly to the centre. I didn't find it "too busy" but I don't have any real shooting experience with in.

I don't really shoot that far with my 22lr. After viewing it I came across a Burris Droptine (i think it was called, not sure) for a rimfire, online. It looks cleaner with only a couple of drop hash marks.

I would buy the Leupold after looking through it.

Kurt505
12-03-2018, 04:47 PM
They have a 3piece tube rather than a one piece tube, I think that’s what makes them inexpensive.

On a side note, the vx3i 3.5-10 is only $630 at Cabelas, a couple gift cards for Christmas and it’s even cheaper :)

Big Thumper
12-03-2018, 06:32 PM
On a side note, the vx3i 3.5-10 is only $630 at Cabelas, a couple gift cards for Christmas and it’s even cheaper :)

Just picked up that scope at LGS for 499.00 on sale this past weekend. Seems nice.

Kurt505
12-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Just picked up that scope at LGS for 499.00 on sale this past weekend. Seems nice.

Because of the price I was a bit leery about it being as good as the previous VX3 line, I have to say for the price, and especially at the price you got it for I don’t think there’s is a better value on the market. The eye relief is amazing, it seems like you could mount the scope on the end of the barrel and still have a full sight picture. Great little scope.

Big Thumper
12-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Because of the price I was a bit leery about it being as good as the previous VX3 line, I have to say for the price, and especially at the price you got it for I don’t think there’s is a better value on the market. The eye relief is amazing, it seems like you could mount the scope on the end of the barrel and still have a full sight picture. Great little scope.

I should clarify the LGS only has the duplex reticle at the 499.00 price.

jayquiver
12-04-2018, 09:54 AM
They have a 3piece tube rather than a one piece tube, I think that’s what makes them inexpensive.

Are the Freedom a 3 piece scope? I didn't even consider that. Good info.

On a side note: do you think you need to have a rimfire parallax set to either a 50 or 75 yards? If not it sure opens the doors to more scope options.

Kurt505
12-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Are the Freedom a 3 piece scope? I didn't even consider that. Good info.

On a side note: do you think you need to have a rimfire parallax set to either a 50 or 75 yards? If not it sure opens the doors to more scope options.

Yes they have a 3 piece tube, that’s what swayed me from going that direction.

Leupold makes a rimfire scope with an erector designed to handle the reverse recoil of semi auto rimfires. I have one on my Ruger and it’s perfect for 22’s.

jayquiver
12-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Yes they have a 3 piece tube, that’s what swayed me from going that direction.

Leupold makes a rimfire scope with an erector designed to handle the reverse recoil of semi auto rimfires. I have one on my Ruger and it’s perfect for 22’s.

What model is that one, Kurt? I want something sturdy.