PDA

View Full Version : Custom Rod Building Classes

HuyFishin
12-07-2018, 12:44 PM
Are there any local rod building classes within our area? I want to take on a new hobby. Figured it may be more exciting to catch a fish with a rod i've assembled.

simmered
12-14-2018, 07:29 PM
There are some excellent videos on mudhole.com. I've built two now, and these videos are gold. They also have kits that give you everything you require to build a rod. Including tools and the rod itself.
A quick tip, Use an old arrow shaft and basic thread to practice tying the guides on. That way it's no worries if you mess it up.
Good luck. It's a great hobby!!

RavYak
12-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Don't think there are courses available.

A buddy of mine, Daniel from Dan O custom rods might be willing to give you a crash course otherwise you probably would have to learn on your own.

Weavster
12-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Here is an ice rod I'm just finishing up for lake trout season. If only Cold Lake would freeze over.... I'm self taught by watching online videos and lots of trail and error. This rod is the most detailed I've accomplished in my 5 years of building. It is a great hobby and the rod you can build yourself is second to non to what you would purchase in the store. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and I will be glad to help you out with any questions along the way along.

Weavster

HuyFishin
12-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Wow that's a real nice rod. Very motivating to see! Do you have any previous projects you can share?

Weavster
12-16-2018, 11:21 AM
Here is one i made for the Ronald McDonald Charity.