PDA

View Full Version : An odd catch in Stettler county.

Red Bullets
12-27-2018, 03:22 AM
I noticed this guy had an odd catch in his coyote snare that you don't see that often in the Stettler area. Thought i would share it. A good example of why a person needs to be alert even in the parklands.

https://www.stettlerindependent.com/news/stettler-county-man-startled-to-capture-cougar/?fbclid=IwAR02lSUue-IvFLXYa3ohr2qi9Lt_TpSlWFuGvtLCk6pedJA9lkm5l_2XT3E

Redhorse Ranch
12-27-2018, 08:31 AM
It's too bad they don't let us keep these accidental catches. There's a season open on cougar right now, after all. No one is actively targeting them with snares, but any set that'll take a coyote will also kill a cougar. It would sure be a surprise to find that...

Big Grey Wolf
12-27-2018, 10:03 AM
It is a terrible rule in Alberta that F & W insist trapper must turn over all bicatch cougar to them. Then they take them and burn them in large furnace rather than boarding and sending them to NAFA fur auction for maybe $500/pelt. What a terrible waste of a resource!

Marty S
12-28-2018, 08:46 AM
A nice handled large tom cougar will go $1300 USD

It is very hard to respect our wildlife agency due to things like this. They burn these beautiful animals, obviously have zero regard for the resource, nor the people they lead.

Who cares about selling them, I just want them on people's walls where they belong.