PDA

View Full Version : Pierce Lake Ice Fishing

Tyangelo
12-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Hi all, haven't posted in quite a while!

Quick question...

Heading up to Pierce Lake by Cold Lake; never fished the region before.

Picked up some tube jigs and other goodies for the trip, but really, will be targeting pretty much everything, as I'll be taking my brother who is from out east and doesnt get a chance to fish much.

Does anyone have any pointers on the best part of the lake to access, (assuming we'll be walking on as I doubt the ice is good enough to drive on), and any suggestions on what to look for regarding depth and structure with this being a much deeper lake than the shallow AB lakes we have here?

For example, would the jack be in deeper water, being the average depth being much deeper? (150 ft deep lake)

I've generally caught whites in 2-15 FOW in AB... can I use the same tackle and strategies with Pierce, or is there something I should change?

Will be equipped with flasher, camera (if I can fix it), shelter etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Would be just as happy ending up catching a pile of perch all day as we would be ending up with jack or lakers!

Weavster
12-27-2018, 04:51 PM
Hi all, haven't posted in quite a while!

Quick question...

Heading up to Pierce Lake by Cold Lake; never fished the region before.

Picked up some tube jigs and other goodies for the trip, but really, will be targeting pretty much everything, as I'll be taking my brother who is from out east and doesnt get a chance to fish much.

Does anyone have any pointers on the best part of the lake to access, (assuming we'll be walking on as I doubt the ice is good enough to drive on), and any suggestions on what to look for regarding depth and structure with this being a much deeper lake than the shallow AB lakes we have here?

For example, would the jack be in deeper water, being the average depth being much deeper? (150 ft deep lake)

I've generally caught whites in 2-15 FOW in AB... can I use the same tackle and strategies with Pierce, or is there something I should change?

Will be equipped with flasher, camera (if I can fix it), shelter etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Would be just as happy ending up catching a pile of perch all day as we would be ending up with jack or lakers!

you can access from Howe bay in the southeast corner or on the south west side at the campground.

Last year we were quite successful for lake trout with smaller jigs and minnows had to downsize from the typical cold lake stuff on that tip for some reason.

We snagged a white in 70 ft of water that was extremely aggressive on the flasher.

the jack will be in shallower water. Howe bay or off some of the points or on top some of the structure humps.

Hope this helps!

Tyangelo
12-27-2018, 05:41 PM
When you say shallower for pike, how deep are we talking? Usually I'm in 6-12 FOW for jack.

splake0
12-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Was there 2 days ago. Seen a truck out on the ice. When I fish that lake I fish in 90 FOW. For Lake Trout If you go straight north of sandy beach around 500 meters you should be close to 90 ft.

raw outdoors
12-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Was there 2 days ago. Seen a truck out on the ice. When I fish that lake I fish in 90 FOW. For Lake Trout If you go straight north of sandy beach around 500 meters you should be close to 90 ft.

I am headed out that way in a couple weeks. How thick was the ice? Do you ever find the ice inconsistent on that lake ? Other than the river areas?

splake0
12-30-2018, 08:51 AM
Ice is 13 inches now and yes it can be inconsistent especially