PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal for the grill

lyallpeder
12-27-2018, 10:40 PM
I’m new to the charcoal BBQ game. I got a Weber kettle this fall and have been trying some different charcoal for it. I sure wish we had the sales they get in the US.

Any suggestions on charcoal? I’m mostly doing low and slow. Preferably available in Edmonton.

CalgaryDan
12-27-2018, 10:43 PM
Looking for natural lump or briquettes?

I use lump and bang for the buck I use Maple Leaf. You can find it most places including Canadian Tire usually.

lyallpeder
12-27-2018, 10:45 PM
Looking for natural lump or briquettes?

I use lump and bang for the buck I use Maple Leaf. You can find it most places including Canadian Tire usually.

They are next on my list to try. Do you get a couple hours out of them or are you topping it up as you go?

fordtruckin
12-27-2018, 10:50 PM
Every time I’ve used briquettes They are lucky to last past 45-60 min. Perfectly fine for bbq a burger or chicken but for regular bbq low and slow you would need to top up.

lyallpeder
12-27-2018, 11:05 PM
Every time I’ve used briquettes They are lucky to last past 45-60 min. Perfectly fine for bbq a burger or chicken but for regular bbq low and slow you would need to top up.

I admit I’m a rookie but I did a pork loin last week at 250-275 for 2 1/2 hours. If I went any longer I would have needed to top up but it never went below 250. That was a full chimney of Kingsford. Maybe it was beginners luck?

Ithaca Dog
12-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Kingsford is the best for low and slow. Lump charcole is great for high heat cooking but doesn't burn as evenly and is less consistent.

When cooking with indirect heat charcole the less you open the grill the better. Use a good dry rub that has at least 30 minutes to set on the meat before hand. Soak the appropriate hardwood chips for an hour or three before as well. Start the coals and heat your grill. As soon as they turn white put the meat on the grill and the wood chips on the coals. Set your oven thermometer near the meat and close the lid. Check the heat/ coals/ smoke every 45 min to and hour.

https://barbecuebible.com

This guy has the best beginner books and some great recipes for the BBQ.

Have fun

nitro
12-28-2018, 08:50 AM
I have used royal oak lump in my smoker for years seems to work well.

lyallpeder
12-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Kingsford is the best for low and slow. Lump charcole is great for high heat cooking but doesn't burn as evenly and is less consistent.

When cooking with indirect heat charcole the less you open the grill the better. Use a good dry rub that has at least 30 minutes to set on the meat before hand. Soak the appropriate hardwood chips for an hour or three before as well. Start the coals and heat your grill. As soon as they turn white put the meat on the grill and the wood chips on the coals. Set your oven thermometer near the meat and close the lid. Check the heat/ coals/ smoke every 45 min to and hour.

https://barbecuebible.com

This guy has the best beginner books and some great recipes for the BBQ.

Have fun

It’s alot like the electric smoker, but dealing with the fuel is different

I have used royal oak lump in my smoker for years seems to work well.

Thanks!

TrollGRG
12-28-2018, 09:49 AM
You can use the snake method to last low and slow for hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ehH4php-3A

calgarychef
12-28-2018, 10:00 AM
With all of the birch left after logging here in alberta I’m surprised that someone hasn’t started making charcoal.

amosfella
12-28-2018, 10:41 AM
With my kamado, I can run 8 hours at 225-250 with lump charcoal. I've never used the briquets due to ashing issues. I'd probably have to clean the ashes out mid cook.

Oh, just a little hint. If you're going to leave a cabled probe thermometer in to watch temps, wrap the cord with tin foil. The jacket of the probe cable is not terribly susceptible to heat, but it's very susceptible to fire.

CalgaryDan
12-28-2018, 02:05 PM
They are next on my list to try. Do you get a couple hours out of them or are you topping it up as you go?

I have a Primo XL400 Kamado. Using a full load of Maple Leaf lump charcoal the longest I’ve run it at 225 for is 28 hours without having to top up.

Kamado’s are so much more effecient than other smoker types though so it’s tough to compare.

javlin101
12-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Try indirect on your kettle. Pile charcoal on both sides and nothing in the middle. Get coal hot(350) and place whole chicken or roast in the middle with your favorite rub. Stick a heat sensor (electric) and do not lift the lid until it's done or need to add coals. Comes out perfect.

Beeman3
12-29-2018, 09:31 AM
I have a Primo XL400 Kamado. Using a full load of Maple Leaf lump charcoal the longest I’ve run it at 225 for is 28 hours without having to top up.

Kamado’s are so much more effecient than other smoker types though so it’s tough to compare.

Exactly. I have the Primo Oval XL. I can cook a brisket and usually 2 more rib cooks on one load of lump charcoal. So about 24-26 hrs of cook time. Maybe more but I always refill after that amount of cooking. I have also found that the PRIMO brand of lump charcoal was the best for a clean burn and also seems to burn longer than royal oak lump.

lionel
12-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Big Green Egg charcoal is my go to. Burns clean, has a nice smell and adds great flavour. $40 for a 20lbs bag. Well worth it.

lyallpeder
12-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone. Charcoal is such a different beast, but I’m definitely enjoying it. Can’t wait till summer so I can enjoy it in the daylight with out dressing up!

James Henry
12-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Barbeques Galore, in Calgary, has a large selection of briquettes and charcoal. I believe there is one or 2 stores in Edmonton as well.
The staff are friendly and helpful, but best of all, non commission!
They are my go to people.

JH

penguin
12-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Charcoal is a better flavour. I have tried a few brands but usually buy Maple Leaf Premium from crappy tire. However I always keep some Kingsford briquettes on hand as well. The advantage of them is their consistent size & shape so you can record how many briquettes equals temp/times and when you do the snake method it is the same each time. Charcoal tastes better but differs bag to bag.

Okotok
12-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Royal Oak Lump rates highly in most reviews and is quite a bit cheaper than the Big Green egg stuff I used to use. Tried the coconut stuff once and wasn't impressed. I like the Royal Oak best out of the few I've tried.