PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Line

schleprock
12-28-2018, 10:47 AM
I have been wondering about the newer monofilament and fluorocarbon lines as I have been using braided lines for the last while. Haven't tried using a fluorocarbon leader yet either. What brands and types of lines are you guys using?

Dweb
12-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Maxima fluorocarbon leader wheel
Maxima ultra green monofilament leader wheel

Can get them at canadiantire or cabelas

HuyFishin
12-28-2018, 11:28 AM
I just moved back to monofiliment last week.

Using Pline Fluroclear. Not bad reviews, Will give an update once I get out on the ice.

PlayDoh
12-28-2018, 02:42 PM
As much as I love the feel of braid, it ices up so bad I’m getting kinda tired of it. I always use a leader if the water clarity is above pea soup.
I should wind up a reel with just fluorocarbon.

HuyFishin
12-28-2018, 03:43 PM
As much as I love the feel of braid, it ices up so bad I’m getting kinda tired of it. I always use a leader if the water clarity is above pea soup.
I should wind up a reel with just fluorocarbon.

This is exactly why i changed back. I like to run and gun outside but the braid just soaks up all the water and ices up. Ice braid also only comes in 50 yard which is too little for cold lake.

swampy45
12-28-2018, 05:48 PM
I've really been liking the Sufix 832 Braid Ice Line with a few feet of Flouro leader. Doesnt seem to ice up as bad as other braids.

pikeman06
12-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Vanish flourocarbon in 6 or 8 lb. Not the strongest and lots of stretch to it but the whites don't seem to shy away. I use 4 or 6 lb XT trilene for perch and walleye it's tough as hell and lasts on the shelf a little longer.

PerchBuster
12-28-2018, 06:42 PM
I have been using Sufix 100% fluoro leader, Berkeley Vanish/Pro Spec leader/Trilene all 100% Fluoro all with great results so far. I run Fluoro on all my ice gear. Fire line mainlines on my Walleye gear tied to swivel wth Fluoro leader. Perch/ whites gear is all Fluoro top to bottom

Commander B
12-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Line twist is gone forever!

http://www.13fishing.com/black-betty/

B..

PlayDoh
12-28-2018, 10:41 PM
This is exactly why i changed back. I like to run and gun outside but the braid just soaks up all the water and ices up. Ice braid also only comes in 50 yard which is too little for cold lake.

Ugh, how have I not known about an Ice Braid? Time for a trip to the city and to TFH.

I had tried fireline a long time ago, but hated it. However it works awesome as stitching. I used to use metal wire to stitch things. I found fireline perfect to use. I can drill much smaller holes and it’s more durable than wire.
I fixed a big crack in a quad fender that was hardley noticeable when I was done.

Maybe I’ll take a look at fireline again, and definitely ice braid. I never fish over 30 FOW, so 50 yards is not a problem.

HuyFishin
12-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Ugh, how have I not known about an Ice Braid? Time for a trip to the city and to TFH.

I had tried fireline a long time ago, but hated it. However it works awesome as stitching. I used to use metal wire to stitch things. I found fireline perfect to use. I can drill much smaller holes and it’s more durable than wire.
I fixed a big crack in a quad fender that was hardley noticeable when I was done.

Maybe I’ll take a look at fireline again, and definitely ice braid. I never fish over 30 FOW, so 50 yards is not a problem.If you were gonna do the ice braid I prefer the power pro ice tech or suffix ice braid.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

PlayDoh
12-28-2018, 10:49 PM
I have been using Sufix 100% fluoro leader, Berkeley Vanish/Pro Spec leader/Trilene all 100% Fluoro all with great results so far. I run Fluoro on all my ice gear. Fire line mainlines on my Walleye gear tied to swivel wth Fluoro leader. Perch/ whites gear is all Fluoro top to bottom

I’m gonna try the 100% fluoro reel. It’s been ages since I haven’t used braid, that I might be exaggerating the stretch. At least while jigging in 15 FOW it’s likely not an issue.

What line weight do you use for perch? I couldn’t find a Fluoro under 8 lbs at CT, but I had some 6 lbs Maxima in my fly gear.