PDA

View Full Version : eliminating line twist on spinning reels

CNP
12-28-2018, 12:21 PM
I use 4# mono for icing trout and line twist is killing it. It really shows up on low poundage lines.

I do a couple things that are causing it:

Retrieving while being spooled by a fish...…...stop that;

Using the common method of spooling new line onto your reel...…….unless the diameter of both the spool on your reel and the spool the line comes from is the same, you will get line twist. This even assumes that you are spooling line onto your reel the same way as it comes off the spool.

So next time I put new line onto a reel I'm going to:

Take the empty spool off of my spinning reel;
Rig up a good diameter arbor/dowel that will accommodate the arbor hole on the spinning reel;
Put the arbor/dowel into the drill chuck of a cordless drill;
Place the reel spool on the arbor/dowel (must be snug fit);
Tie your line onto the reel spool;
Secure the line spool so that it can spin vertically (screwdriver in a vise);
Hold the drill so that the reel spool will spin vertically when power to the drill is applied;
Make sure you are about to wrap your line onto your reel in the correct direction!!!!!!!!
Place some tension on the line between two fingers of one hand;
Apply power to drill with the other hand;
Move fingers holding line tension to ensure uniform wrapping on reel spool;
Remove power to drill when reel spool is full (leaving 1/8" free space on spool).

Guaranteed zero line twist.

Or you can buy this for $45 (https://www.amazon.ca/Piscifun-Fishing-Spinning-Spooling-Automatic/dp/B00OCJHHDI).

RavYak
12-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Or you can just go to The Fishin' Hole and have them spool the line for you...

Mono is horrible for twisting and memory, that is why I don't use it anymore. Braid is capable of withstanding significantly more twisting without issues and if it does get bad you just pull it through your fingers to untwist. Use mono or flouro leader with braid. I like using tippet material since you can use 8 lb line and it be as small/invisible as 4 lb mono. Stronger twist free line, only downside when ice fishing is that it is more prone to freezing up, using ice braids will help this though.

oilngas
12-28-2018, 01:02 PM
I bought the commercial line spooler, for $45. One of the best spends in a while, works great, built well, shipped right away etc. Used the tool to change mono, flouro, and braid on a number of reels, works very well.

CNP
12-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Or you can just go to The Fishin' Hole and have them spool the line for you...

Mono is horrible for twisting and memory, that is why I don't use it anymore. Braid is capable of withstanding significantly more twisting without issues and if it does get bad you just pull it through your fingers to untwist. Use mono or flouro leader with braid. I like using tippet material since you can use 8 lb line and it be as small/invisible as 4 lb mono. Stronger twist free line, only downside when ice fishing is that it is more prone to freezing up, using ice braids will help this though.

All of that is true...…………..although I live 2.5 hrs from nearest the Fishin' Hole. Braid gets fuzzy and it doesn't sink well. I don't use any weights when fishing, just my presentation and nothing else, so I need something as limp as possible. Think ultralight fishing in shallowish water. When I'm fishing with 4# mono for trout I'm never in water that is deeper than 15', usually 6-10', so a leader is not going to do anything for me.

On the other hand I have setups where I use braid and fluoro and leaders. This setup I would use for jacks, walleye and lake trout fishing.

CNP
12-28-2018, 01:06 PM
I bought the commercial line spooler, for $45. One of the best spends in a while, works great, built well, shipped right away etc. Used the tool to change mono, flouro, and braid on a number of reels, works very well.

Nice!

RavYak
12-28-2018, 02:59 PM
All of that is true...…………..although I live 2.5 hrs from nearest the Fishin' Hole. Braid gets fuzzy and it doesn't sink well. I don't use any weights when fishing, just my presentation and nothing else, so I need something as limp as possible. Think ultralight fishing in shallowish water. When I'm fishing with 4# mono for trout I'm never in water that is deeper than 15', usually 6-10', so a leader is not going to do anything for me.

On the other hand I have setups where I use braid and fluoro and leaders. This setup I would use for jacks, walleye and lake trout fishing.

Mono floats and has the largest diameter for its strength which makes it the worst choice for getting light lures to depth. Fluoro sinks and is the best in that situation, a fluoro leader on light braid will sink better then mono.

A leader is used with braid so that fish can't see the braided line and it is more valuable in shallower water because there is more light in shallow water making line visibility a bigger issue. If you tie a long leader(10-15 feet) on braid you would get all the advantages of your mono line as that is all that will be out most of the time and you don't have to worry about the line twisting as much since the braid portion will twist freely as the twists move up your line. The leader also gives stretch since braid has no stretch. No stretch is a huge advantage for sensitivity but you need the leader to provide some absorption for head shacks, hard strikes etc.

Mono has memory and even if spooled correctly will create a spring like shape that is as much of a pain as twisting. You couldn't pay me to use mono main line especially since imo you can get all its advantages by using it as leader material.

CNP
12-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Mono floats and has the largest diameter for its strength which makes it the worst choice for getting light lures to depth. Fluoro sinks and is the best in that situation, a fluoro leader on light braid will sink better then mono.

A leader is used with braid so that fish can't see the braided line and it is more valuable in shallower water because there is more light in shallow water making line visibility a bigger issue. If you tie a long leader(10-15 feet) on braid you would get all the advantages of your mono line as that is all that will be out most of the time and you don't have to worry about the line twisting as much since the braid portion will twist freely as the twists move up your line. The leader also gives stretch since braid has no stretch. No stretch is a huge advantage for sensitivity but you need the leader to provide some absorption for head shacks, hard strikes etc.

Mono has memory and even if spooled correctly will create a spring like shape that is as much of a pain as twisting. You couldn't pay me to use mono main line especially since imo you can get all its advantages by using it as leader material.

Imagine a clash...over fishing line! I have a different opinion and this post is about ultra light mono line twist experience. I really don't care for fluoro other than in heavier poundage. Braid and a leader doesn't make sense to me at all for shallow ice fishing. I'll keep my mono for ultralight stuff and continue to use braid/fluoro for my medium/heavy and deeper fishing.

Habfan
12-28-2018, 04:43 PM
If your only fishing in 10 - 15 ft of water then just break off that amount of line and start fresh every couple trips. Or you can let out line and let it blow in the wind, it’ll straighten out.

vital shok
12-28-2018, 05:32 PM
I always soak my mono in water for 24 hours and I have never had a problem.I mostly use flora carbon now especially when fly fishing nymph rigs but still use mono for dries and mono for the ice rods.

FishHunterPro
12-28-2018, 05:50 PM
The only time I get line twist is if I tie my line directly to my lure , if I use a fluorocarbon leader with a swivel it’s not an issue anymore. Mono line just makes things worse and I haven’t used that stuff in years.