PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Yamaha 600 Grizzly won't start ?

moosefever
12-28-2018, 12:44 PM
Hey there ... I have a 2000 Yamaha 600 Grizzly. It turns over good with the electric start but will not fire .... when I use the pull cord, it starts right away.

Any thoughts/ideas ?

expedition
12-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Probably a bad battery or your starter is drawing too much voltage.

Talking moose
12-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Probably a bad battery or your starter is drawing too much voltage.

Even though the battery is cranking it over good?

lannie
12-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Turn the key to the on position and then by put direct power to starter and see if it starts. If it does start the problem is in the switch or wiring to switch.

Talking Moose is the O.P your cousin?

Jar4500
12-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Happened on my Kodiak atv mechanic said weak stator I replaced it has been good for last 2 years

moosefever
12-28-2018, 03:25 PM
I boosted it and it started great but I also had it inside for a bit already so warming it up probably helped the battery too ... I'm gonna buy a new battery anyways .. cold weather always brings out the worst in batteries.

Spinner57
12-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Start basic,
Is the ignition switch separate from the starter button or built into the switch? If its built in suspect ignition switch. Get your battery tested, while good enough to turn your bike over the starter may be causing voltage loss to the point where your cdi/coil wont trigger. Check to see if you have spark while cranking to rule that out.

Badone20
12-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Good to hear boosting it worked and appears to be the battery. I had this same issue with my 99 big bear and ended up being the pulse coil.

Lefty-Canuck
12-28-2018, 07:39 PM
When I have had this issue, I check the battery condition and spark plug. I full charge the battery and usually replace the plug. The plug seems to foul up easily.

LC

moosefever
12-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Thanks for all the input, it's working good now.

wolf308
12-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Tagged.

My older quad has starting issues too

Grizzly Adams
12-31-2018, 10:03 AM
I've always found the manual start seems to have a little more oomph, that can make a difference, in my 93 Big Bear.

Grizz

Mb-MBR
12-31-2018, 11:18 AM
Tagged likewise.....I bought an older Yamaha Big Bear that had starting issues and to this day still does. Had it checked out was supposed to be fixed but same problem returned.

I cannot start the thing with the electric start but will start with pull cord, replaced battery and same thing happens. But when I do start it, it backfires, was told to check timing, which was done at shop but still backfires. I'm leaning towards switch. But that's a wild as_ guess. Dont want to take it back to stealership as the value isn't there to spend more of their time and my money to get it fixed, so am trouble shooting.

crazy_davey
12-31-2018, 11:41 AM
When I have had this issue, I check the battery condition and spark plug. I full charge the battery and usually replace the plug. The plug seems to foul up easily.

LC

If your plug is fouling, it is running too rich.

Badone20
12-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Tagged likewise.....I bought an older Yamaha Big Bear that had starting issues and to this day still does. Had it checked out was supposed to be fixed but same problem returned.

I cannot start the thing with the electric start but will start with pull cord, replaced battery and same thing happens. But when I do start it, it backfires, was told to check timing, which was done at shop but still backfires. I'm leaning towards switch. But that's a wild as_ guess. Dont want to take it back to stealership as the value isn't there to spend more of their time and my money to get it fixed, so am trouble shooting.

This is exactly what happened with my 99 big bear. It would only start by pull starting, it was the pulse coil. The backfiring could be a new spark plug needed and cleaning the fuel system. Bad fuel or water in system will cause this, good cleaning of the carb can't hurt, could be water or varnish accumulated in the carb bowl.

I was able to get a replacement pulse coil from Cycle Salvage on Yellowhead Trail, which was used but a hell of a lot cheaper then the $500.00+ stator / pulse coil "assembly" they want to sell you at a dealer. Yamaha would not sell the coil separate from the stator. The coil is probably a $40.00 part so I just cut it off the assembly I bought from cycle salvage and spliced it into my machine. No issues for over 7 years now. Google trouble shooting the pulse coil and it will take you step for step checking to see if that is indeed part of your issue. Fairly simple process to check, Good Luck!

Mb-MBR
12-31-2018, 05:12 PM
This is exactly what happened with my 99 big bear. It would only start by pull starting, it was the pulse coil. The backfiring could be a new spark plug needed and cleaning the fuel system. Bad fuel or water in system will cause this, good cleaning of the carb can't hurt, could be water or varnish accumulated in the carb bowl.

I was able to get a replacement pulse coil from Cycle Salvage on Yellowhead Trail, which was used but a hell of a lot cheaper then the $500.00+ stator / pulse coil "assembly" they want to sell you at a dealer. Yamaha would not sell the coil separate from the stator. The coil is probably a $40.00 part so I just cut it off the assembly I bought from cycle salvage and spliced it into my machine. No issues for over 7 years now. Google trouble shooting the pulse coil and it will take you step for step checking to see if that is indeed part of your issue. Fairly simple process to check, Good Luck!

Thanks for the insight...…..carb is rebuilt, new plug, tank cleaned and flushed so its something I'm not familiar with. Someone suggested CDI box and theyre obsolete, not even a dealer has them and others have said if its the CDI the quad wont run...….

Will search the pulse coil issue see what I come up with...