PDA

View Full Version : Tofu appreciation thread.

buckbrush
12-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Figured to keep things pc we should have this to go with the bacon thread.

Long live BACON!

CaberTosser
12-28-2018, 05:52 PM
Is that like Bruce Lee's famous 1-inch punch, just with the digits on your foot instead of a fist? Toe-Fu?

colroggal
12-28-2018, 06:22 PM
I like to take blocks of tofu, cut them in half and sandwich bacon in the middle. And cheese. You can fry them or barbeque them. When the tofu is nicely browned you just split it open and toss it away. It's a good way to make sure you don't burn the bacon:)

Colin

catnthehat
12-28-2018, 06:26 PM
TOFU??!!:confused0068::confused0068:
Where is the unfriend button??:mad0030:
Cat

RandyBoBandy
12-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Smoked tofu is excellent, matter of fact, I'm headed to the fridge to get a chunk :)

roper1
12-28-2018, 08:24 PM
You can turn in your man card at the dealer nearest you:)

Sundancefisher
12-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Figured to keep things pc we should have this to go with the bacon thread.

Long live BACON!

You know if you cook tofu with bacon it absorbs the flavour so you can eat bacon with bacon tofu.

RandyBoBandy
12-28-2018, 08:44 PM
You know if you cook tofu with bacon it absorbs the flavour so you can eat bacon with bacon tofu.

100% accurate!! I'm on the KETO thing, so wrap the tofu with bacon and cook it with more bacon..GOLD!! :)

bloopbloob
12-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Cooked a 14lb tofurkey for Christmas this year. Didn't turn out so well. Ended up ordering Mary Brown's.... Also clogged a toilet with melted tofurkey.

buckbrush
12-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Tofurkey?

RandyBoBandy
12-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Cooked a 14lb tofurkey for Christmas this year. Didn't turn out so well. Ended up ordering Mary Brown's.... Also clogged a toilet with melted tofurkey.

I've purchased tofurkey previously but it was in small packaging NOT a 14lb thing?? More details required :)

bloopbloob
12-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Tofurkey?

Tofurkey*(a*portmanteau*of*tofu*and*turkey) is*faux*turkey, a meat substitute in the form of a loaf or*casserole*of vegetarian protein, usually made from*tofu*(soybean protein) or*seitan*(wheat protein) with a*stuffing*made from grains or*bread, flavored with a broth and seasoned with herbs and spices. Tofurkey is oven-roasted or baked and is suitable for*vegetarians*and*vegans.[1]*It can be homemade or purchased ready-made and frozen from multiple sources such as*health food stores*or specialty grocers, or ordered online and shipped in insulated packing.[

boah
12-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Tofu is good raw, cooked and anything in between. Same as wheat.

thumper
12-29-2018, 12:08 AM
I like my tofu tossed lightly in extra-virgin olive oil.

It makes it easier to slide it off my plate into the garbage.

Ken07AOVette
12-29-2018, 11:11 AM
I like my tofu tossed lightly in extra-virgin olive oil.

It makes it easier to slide it off my plate into the garbage.

Haha got me.

I cant think of a single use for this crap, other than maybe taking it to an in law party you dont want to be invited or forced to go to again.
I don't think it would even work as ballistics gel, well maybe for an air rifle

bat119
12-29-2018, 11:28 AM
If tofu is so good why do the veggies always try to make it taste and look like meat?

What the heck is that crap anyway?

SuperCub
12-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Did some sweet pickled peameal bacon for the holidays so tofu wasn't required.

The Cook
12-29-2018, 06:25 PM
The say eating topoo will make a shorthorn out of you. (good line for a song)

archerynut
12-29-2018, 06:38 PM
My vegetarian wife loves tofu and I've come to appreciate it as well. Really good in stir-fry! I'm reading off some of the replies and she's getting a real kick out of them. Thanks for making my wife laugh.

grouse_hunter
12-29-2018, 06:57 PM
I put tofu in my miso soup. It does wonders to prime the gastrointestinal tract for the pounds of raw tuna that are sure to follow.

bloopbloob
12-29-2018, 07:39 PM
Something I've heard that still sticks with me. If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them so delicious? I know a very religious, holier than thou vegetarian. Kicker is, he's a cattle farmer. No problem raising cattle on the family farm, killing it, and selling it to you though. But needs a vegetarian option set off to the side for him at work functions.... This new world is really getting to me.

PS , my 14lb tofurkey comment was a joke. I don't eat that solidified estrogen lump shaped stuff. Give me bacon.

CranePete
12-29-2018, 07:40 PM
I expected to find a bunch of blank replies...listening for the crickets to start up

catnthehat
12-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Something I've heard that still sticks with me. If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them so delicious? I know a very religious, holier than thou vegetarian. Kicker is, he's a cattle farmer. No problem raising cattle on the family farm, killing it, and selling it to you though. But needs a vegetarian option set off to the side for him at work functions.... This new world is really getting to me.

PS , my 14lb tofurkey comment was a joke. I don't eat that solidified estrogen lump shaped stuff. Give me bacon.

If God didn’t want us to eat animals why did he make them out of meat ?!:confused:
Cat

bloopbloob
12-29-2018, 07:49 PM
My vegetarian wife loves tofu and I've come to appreciate it as well. Really good in stir-fry! I'm reading off some of the replies and she's getting a real kick out of them. Thanks for making my wife laugh.

No joke, I don't think I could ever be with a vegetarian. I like meat. I don't feel bad about that. Do you still get to eat meat and not chastised for it? Or are you converted? I seriously would end a relationship before giving up meat....

urban rednek
12-29-2018, 10:12 PM
As a dedicated omnivore who enjoys trying new foods, the best thing I can say about tofu is that it can be a useful tool to help identify the vegans in a group setting.
Although, I did hear a rumour that it has following in some parts of Alberta. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

thumper
12-30-2018, 12:56 AM
Google an image of a soybean field - not even a sparrow could make a living there. Now Google an image of a cattle ranch. That land is shared with piles of different wildlife. Save our wildlife - eat meat!

archerynut
12-30-2018, 07:17 PM
No joke, I don't think I could ever be with a vegetarian. I like meat. I don't feel bad about that. Do you still get to eat meat and not chastised for it? Or are you converted? I seriously would end a relationship before giving up meat....

Ha she's pretty good about it. I told her I'm fine with the killing. I still hunt and fish. She really likes fresh caught walleye. Her respecting the fact that I like to eat meat, hunt and fish was almost a condition for us getting married. It's working well so far 3 years in.

Smoky buck
12-30-2018, 07:38 PM
Tofu is great first meal I cooked for my in-laws. The meal turned out perfect and could not have expected the dinner to be such a success

They have not even suggested coming over for dinner since lol

creeky
12-30-2018, 07:43 PM

We go to the trouble of preparing a vegetarian plate (pita) for our new sister in law, yet when she cooks for us it's vegan-whats up with that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken07AOVette
12-30-2018, 07:50 PM
We go to the trouble of preparing a vegetarian plate (pita) for our new sister in law, yet when she cooks for us it's vegan-whats up with that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She's an insensitive entitled person :confused:

That may have been a little insensitive lol :)

creeky
12-30-2018, 07:58 PM
She's an insensitive entitled person :confused:

That may have been a little insensitive lol :)

great minds-lol

ReconWilly
12-30-2018, 08:14 PM
Soy?

No thanks I'd rather starve thank you very much.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDPzkQga9c

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8W9kTQgXQ0&t=302s

buckbrush
12-31-2018, 08:11 AM
My wife once signed us up to got to a pizza bbq at one of her friends houses. What she didn’t tell me is that those friends didn’t eat gluten or meat or any dairy from a cow....when you are expecting bbq pizza and that bomb shell gets dropped, it’s hard to keep a smile on. Even worse was after I choked down a few pieces they kept insisting I eat more.

Twisted Canuck
12-31-2018, 08:55 AM

What's up is you need to not cook special for her if she isn't willing to do the same for you. Simple. Put a raw carrot on a plate for her maybe....and pack Mary Brown's to her place.

alacringa
12-31-2018, 09:02 AM
While tofu is completely unpalatable on its own, it does tend to soak up flavour from whatever it's cooked in, which is why it works okay in stir-fry, as archerynut suggested. Its texture is a bit weird though; and I can understand that putting people off. I rarely eat it myself. Meat is just so much better.

Gerald J
12-31-2018, 09:18 AM
While tofu is completely unpalatable on its own, it does tend to soak up flavour from whatever it's cooked in, which is why it works okay in stir-fry, as archerynut suggested. Its texture is a bit weird though; and I can understand that putting people off. I rarely eat it myself. Meat is just so much better.

Was about to say just that. On its own, it's probably the equivalent of white rice (taste wise). But put either one in a stir fry, soup, stew, whatever and now you're getting it.