PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted - Ice Fishing Shelter- Hub or Pop-up

cuttincircles
12-28-2018, 10:47 PM
Have a couple boys getting interested in fishing so looking for a new shelter, was thinking of a 2 or 3 man pop up, thoughts? Brands?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

EZM
12-28-2018, 10:51 PM
I'd say get something a little bigger than you think you need, as room is always tight with more than a few people in the tent - particularly if you want to use full sized chairs, use a heater and run a camera.

Clam and Eskimo make good quality tents.

HuyFishin
12-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Otter!

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

PlayDoh
12-28-2018, 10:59 PM
I’ve had 3 people fishing and a 4 year old in a 3 man tent. It’s doable and it’s not like we were sitting on top of each other. But when I’m alone I take up 1/2 to 3/4’s of my 3 man.
I’d say a 5 man would be the smallest if you plan on fishing with 2 others more often then not, or just often enough.

I reccomended an insulated tent. My Eskimo 3i quick fish is awesome. I’ve been in -30 blizzards and my big buddy on medium no problem. And they don’t flap like non-insulated can. That means less noise. Yet they are heavier, but not extreme.

cuttincircles
12-28-2018, 11:08 PM
I have a Big Buddy heater, so that will be used, and dknt mind towing with the quad. I like the Otters, but then the Clsm looks more finished, am torn. And yes, I plan on an insulated one.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

PlayDoh
12-28-2018, 11:12 PM
I had an Eskimo flip-up but after a season I sold it. It took a longer to setup, weighed a lot more, and in the wind it was horrible. I actually found it quicker and easier to move a pop up than a flip up. I toss everything into my sled and then stand in the tent and lift and walk.
I’m sure a lot depends on where you fish, and other factors.
One thing about Ice gear is that it’s not hard to sell stuff if it’s not what you want. Obviously you take a loss, but not enough to be considered unfair. It makes purchases a little less concerning, since you won’t have to live with the wrong buy, or give it away.

I’d hit Cabela’s or BPS while these Boxing Day deals are going on, and take a look on Kijiji or the classifieds here maybe.

I’d say an Eskimo 5i quick fish would be one to put on your list. Up to a 9 man depending on your wants and budget. Just keep in mind heating, and transport.

I got my tent at CT on a wicked sale. I had to drive to brooks to get the last one in southern Alberta.

PlayDoh
12-28-2018, 11:23 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112203/cabelas-6-ft-x-12-ft-six-person-insulated-hub-ice-shelter-combo?productVariantId=306364&ps=True&utm_source=reebee&utm_medium=reebee&utm_campaign=reebee

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/112151/otter-outdoors-xth-pro-lodge-hub?productVariantId=306310&ps=True&utm_source=reebee&utm_medium=reebee&utm_campaign=reebee

http://canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/frabill-hq300-ice-shelter-4-6-person-0773864p.html

That Otter looks sweet

JohninAB
12-29-2018, 03:53 AM
I have a 949i by Eskimo. 3 can be fished out of it but it is cozy. If I was planning on 3 fishing a lot, I would look at the new Outback 450i from Eskimo. It is fully insulated, has 75 sq feet so roomy and the full length door is a game changer as so much easier to access and move gear in and out.

Clam tents with their light color tend to be a lot lighter inside than an Eskimo which can be detrimental if sight fishing. Otherwise they are a quality tent as well.

Never seen an Otter in use but hear good things about them.

Scott N
12-29-2018, 04:27 AM
I have the same tent as John, the 949i and it's rated as a 4 man, but it's perfect for 2 people and pretty much all the gear 2 guys normally haul. As others have already recommended, you probably want to get a bigger tent than what they are rated for people wise in most cases. We fit two chairs, a portable table, flasher and two tote boxes inside and still have a fair bit of room.

I also have an Eskimo Quick Fish 2 - it's 2 man tent and I've fished with a buddy in it, but it's definitely a bit cozy in there, even without hardly any gear inside. It's great for solo trips though.

Another feature I've come to appreciate are multiple doors on tents... if you're going to be fishing with more than 2 people, it's nice to have a couple of doors so you're not accidentally kicking over stuff when you run outside for a tip up or ringing bell.

Sloughsharkjigger
12-29-2018, 09:33 AM
I have a 949i by Eskimo. 3 can be fished out of it but it is cozy. If I was planning on 3 fishing a lot, I would look at the new Outback 450i from Eskimo. It is fully insulated, has 75 sq feet so roomy and the full length door is a game changer as so much easier to access and move gear in and out.

Clam tents with their light color tend to be a lot lighter inside than an Eskimo which can be detrimental if sight fishing. Otherwise they are a quality tent as well.

Never seen an Otter in use but hear good things about them.

Agree with John, the Outback 450i looks like the new generation of pop up. That full length door must be nice. I seen one set up in Cabela’s in November, if I recall correctly they priced out at $600.

Good luck