PDA

View Full Version : What oil filters do you use?

graybeard
12-29-2018, 07:27 AM
I use the Napa Gold. It was more by luck than design. I was in Napa and they had an oil filter sale and I bought enough for all my vehicles.

For years I used the Fram as did my dad.....I always thought them to be #1.....Not now.

If this is true it's a real eye opener....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNJLEV8CG8

Coiloil37
12-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Usually Donaldson has what I’m looking for but it depends. The first fuel filter on my ram is a Baldwin cause it’ll catch 99% of the free water and 95% of the emulsified water. It’s also a 20 micron filter. The second filter is a 2um Donaldson.
My full flow oil filter is also a Donaldson, 95% efficient at 7 micron first pass and 100% at 15 micron. My bypass oil filter is a amsoil and is rated at 2um first pass. I check the specs on filters before I run them and all of those specs are easy to find.

Depends what you need the filter for but filter companies like Donaldson and fleetguard usually make what you need and they’re usually cheaper then the junk you buy at Walmart or Canadian tire.

Trochu
12-29-2018, 08:12 AM
Fram. I'm also not a huge fan of his test" and think the results are somewhat misleading.

oldjeda
12-29-2018, 08:18 AM
I actually took some traing on this a few years ago. I now use the K & N on my vehicles. The Purolater Pure1 would be my first choice though. Unfortunately it's hard to get in Canada

Gretz5582
12-29-2018, 08:22 AM
I use fleetgaurd filters on my cummins

brewster29
12-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Fram oil filters have been the worst for many years. I can't understand how they have such a big name in the filter business. I have seen engines destroyed by the paper end "caps" coming apart. As an old Chevy hi-perf guy (47 years) and a diesel truck owner for the last 16 years I have done a lot of research on this topic. Google "bobtheoilguy".

The video was a bit backwoods though- anyone doing that should invest in a filter cutting tool.

I prefer to use Purolator pure one but they are hard to find in Canada. Donaldson and Wix are well made and available.

Unregistered user
12-29-2018, 09:16 AM
Nothing but Ford.

RZR
12-29-2018, 10:05 AM
I actually took some traing on this a few years ago. I now use the K & N on my vehicles. The Purolater Pure1 would be my first choice though. Unfortunately it's hard to get in Canada

Let me guess the training course was put on by K&N! 90% of the courses put on are by companies pushing their line of product and how far more superior they are to the competition.

Eagle Trapper
12-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Nothing but Ford.

X2:fighting0030:

amosfella
12-29-2018, 10:53 AM
Mann and Mahle on the cars. Cat on the cat tractors, Napa gold on the pickup.
Baldwin or donaldson on the other tractors.

Coiloil37
12-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Let me guess the training course was put on by K&N! 90% of the courses put on are by companies pushing their line of product and how far more superior they are to the competition.

Ahh and the plot thickens. This is far from proper research but a quick google produced this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181229/3120a998118de8736bd554563e01089d.jpg

Now whoever is making them might produce some decent or great filters but they’re all made to a price point. As the end user you’ve got to research what your actually buying (filter/application specific)

RandyBoBandy
12-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Nothing but Ford.

FORD does not make it's own filters, pretty sure NONE of them do :) PSA

halsey
12-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Fleetguard in two 12 valve cummins trucks.

stob
12-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Amsoil or Mann

Buckhead
12-29-2018, 11:49 AM
ACDelco

6.5 shooter
12-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Nothing but Ford.

Which is a Fram filter

penguin
12-29-2018, 12:08 PM
I have always used Fram but recently have had engine oil sludge issues that required a couple of engine flushes to rectify. I'll be switching to something else I think.

lilsundance
12-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Fleetguard in two 12 valve cummins trucks.

Cummins is the only Engine manufacturer in the world who owns their own filter manufacturer. Fleetguard is owned by Cummins. Every filter is designed and manufactured to be the best protection for Cummins Engines. I don't own a diesel, but use Fleetguard on my gas pickup. Enough said.

Dean2
12-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Cummins is the only Engine manufacturer in the world who owns their own filter manufacturer. Fleetguard is owned by Cummins. Every filter is designed and manufactured to be the best protection for Cummins Engines. I don't own a diesel, but use Fleetguard on my gas pickup. Enough said.

Where do you get Fleetguard filters? Till now I have used OEM Toyota, Chrysler and NAPA Gold.

ctd
12-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Usually Donaldson has what I’m looking for but it depends. The first fuel filter on my ram is a Baldwin cause it’ll catch 99% of the free water and 95% of the emulsified water. It’s also a 20 micron filter. The second filter is a 2um Donaldson.
My full flow oil filter is also a Donaldson, 95% efficient at 7 micron first pass and 100% at 15 micron. My bypass oil filter is a amsoil and is rated at 2um first pass. I check the specs on filters before I run them and all of those specs are easy to find.

Depends what you need the filter for but filter companies like Donaldson and fleetguard usually make what you need and they’re usually cheaper then the junk you buy at Walmart or Canadian tire.

I will never run a Baldwin fuel filter on my diesel ever again. After talking to their engineering department about their fuel filters water filtering, shedding, emulsion ability. It leaves something to be desired.
Their department informed me that their fuel filter for the Cummins is not rated as a water separator.
I asked why does their literature state otherwise. Their response was the filter meets or exceeds manufacturer specs.
I then asked who's manufacturer specs he said their spec exceeds OEM specs. With out the water filtering ability.

After this cost me $3000 plus in fuel system/exhaust repairs I run only a Fleetguard fuel filter.
Oil filter I run Fleetguard, Baldwin, Donadson or a Luberfiner.

lilsundance
12-29-2018, 12:47 PM
Where do you get Fleetguard filters? Till now I have used OEM Toyota, Chrysler and NAPA Gold.

Cummins on the west end across from Stahl Peterbilt. Just take your old filter number into them and see if they can cross it over to one they have. I know they have filters for all the Dodge Diesels (both fuel filters on the 2013 and up) and the 5 liter engine in the Nissan's. (minus the air filter).

Coiloil37
12-29-2018, 01:12 PM
I will never run a Baldwin fuel filter on my diesel ever again. After talking to their engineering department about their fuel filters water filtering, shedding, emulsion ability. It leaves something to be desired.

Their department informed me that their fuel filter for the Cummins is not rated as a water separator.

I asked why does their literature state otherwise. Their response was the filter meets or exceeds manufacturer specs.

I then asked who's manufacturer specs he said their spec exceeds OEM specs. With out the water filtering ability.

After this cost me $3000 plus in fuel system/exhaust repairs I run only a Fleetguard fuel filter.

Oil filter I run Fleetguard, Baldwin, Donadson or a Luberfiner.

I’ll go out on a limb and guess your talking about the Baldwin to replace the factory fuel filter on a Ram. If that’s what your talking about I agree with you. All of my research led me to believe it was a substandard choice.
However, that’s not what I’m using their filter for. As I mentioned most manufacturers make a range of filters. It just so happens that Baldwin makes one water filter that from all of my research is unequaled in its application. This lives under the truck, mid chassis. Downstream of that filter I have a 2 Micron absolute Donaldson filter and downstream of that I have the factory fleetguard filter.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181229/93b0db3d1bd8bee60e637f53a74805c2.jpg

For you guys with the Cummins. The factory fleetguard is a perfectly sufficient oil filter. It’s absolutely OEM approved cause Cummins owns fleetguard. That’s said, the fleetguard is 100% efficient at 40 micron. The Donaldson is less expensive and 100% efficient at 15 micron, 95% at 7 micron single pass. I pay about $16 for the Donaldson.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181229/fda7ac981aedb33bdf28b98bdfb35541.jpg

CNP
12-29-2018, 02:15 PM

UFA stocks them (https://www.ufapetro.com/home/marketingpageTwo)

lilsundance
12-29-2018, 02:27 PM
UFA stocks them (https://www.ufapetro.com/home/marketingpageTwo)

UFA stopped carrying them about 2 years ago.

RZR
12-29-2018, 02:33 PM
I have always used Fram but recently have had engine oil sludge issues that required a couple of engine flushes to rectify. I'll be switching to something else I think.

I don’t know as I’d be quick to blame a sludge issue on a filter!! Maybe you should be looking at the oil your using, or maybe your oil change intervals. I’ve never had engine issues. I use Castrol on my car and Shell rotella on my truck with quacker state filters at 5000 Kms oil change intervals.

Coiloil37
12-29-2018, 02:34 PM
You can buy fleetguard or Donaldson at places like kenworth, finning, Cummins, Glover international etc.

Little Valy
12-29-2018, 03:52 PM
Mobil 1 Extended Performance

halsey
12-29-2018, 04:09 PM
McGregor-Sharp is a good filter source in Edmonton.

CNP
12-29-2018, 06:32 PM
UFA stopped carrying them about 2 years ago.

Huh. I used to get them at UFA when I lived in Morinville. Since I moved to CNP I use amazon a lot. I get wix filters from amazon.ca for my diesel truck and gas jeep

fordtruckin
12-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Which is a Fram filter

Interesting cause when I search it say puralator.
I only use motorcraft filters on my fords and Chrysler for my wife’s Jeep.

Unregistered user
12-30-2018, 12:07 AM
FORD does not make it's own filters, pretty sure NONE of them do :) PSA

They are made to a spec.

Unregistered user
12-30-2018, 12:09 AM
Which is a Fram filter

Wrong. Fram filters have grenaded a wagon-load of Triton engines.

brslk
12-30-2018, 12:44 AM
I use Fram, QS, Purolatpr, Motorcraft... usually whatever is cheapest on the four vehicles I maintain. The frequency of oil changes matters more than the brand of filter or even brand of oil.
Customers cars I use whatever they prefer.

Big Grey Wolf
12-30-2018, 08:05 AM
I always use Fram. First time used on my Cummins could not believe how clean the oil was after 10,000km. It was brown instead of usual black gunk. I was impressed how good a job the Fram filter did in a diesel engine.

hogie
12-30-2018, 09:52 AM
I use OEM, or Ford filters. Yamaha gets factory filter, Harley gets factory filter. I don't trust most aftermarket filters for meeting spec. Many don't have backflow valves that the factory ones do .

If Fram makes Filters for Ford then they are totally different than OEM. I thought it was Wix or Purolator that made filters for Ford at Fords spec.

When I started to apprentice in the mid 90s one of my jobs was to crush the oil filters. Hydraulic press, it would barely crush a 7.3l oil filter that was Ford. Fram would crush like a pop can. Ford filters always held more oil in the filter compared to any of the aftermarket ones. Way more filter material. Baldwin was good as well Wix.

There are only so many manufacturers out there, usually they will make to someone required spec. So an auto maker will contract WIx to make a filter to spec, may have requirement for certain filtration, back flow valve, at what point it will bypass the filter if restricted. Wix will make, they may sell the same filter under their brand or they may make some changes to make more profitable. It may be exactly like the factory filter in a different package. Maybe when you buy the premium filter it is exactly like OEM. The lesser lines have omitted a feature.

I would also think that the quicklube places buy in bulk to their spec at the minimum requirement for OEM. Don't know what you are going to get. I do know that that's where I see the most filters that are bypassing the filter material. Pull them off and very little oil inside. Rarely see that with OEM.

Deep
12-30-2018, 10:02 AM
Mann or Mahle filers.....for my TDI.

rjlester
12-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Had a loss of oil pressure on an engine many years ago. Engine seized. There was nothing wrong with the engine before that and I always suspected the FRAM oil filter. Wish I took the filter apart, but sold the car before I had a chance. I use FRAM air filters, but not the oil filters, have switched to Wix recently.

Spinner57
12-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Only ever run Wix, Mann, K&N, Mobil or Napa gold. Avoid fram products like the plague they are.

liar
12-30-2018, 05:34 PM
I use OEM, or Ford filters. Yamaha gets factory filter, Harley gets factory filter. I don't trust most aftermarket filters for meeting spec. Many don't have backflow valves that the factory ones do .

If Fram makes Filters for Ford then they are totally different than OEM. I thought it was Wix or Purolator that made filters for Ford at Fords spec.

When I started to apprentice in the mid 90s one of my jobs was to crush the oil filters. Hydraulic press, it would barely crush a 7.3l oil filter that was Ford. Fram would crush like a pop can. Ford filters always held more oil in the filter compared to any of the aftermarket ones. Way more filter material. Baldwin was good as well Wix.

There are only so many manufacturers out there, usually they will make to someone required spec. So an auto maker will contract WIx to make a filter to spec, may have requirement for certain filtration, back flow valve, at what point it will bypass the filter if restricted. Wix will make, they may sell the same filter under their brand or they may make some changes to make more profitable. It may be exactly like the factory filter in a different package. Maybe when you buy the premium filter it is exactly like OEM. The lesser lines have omitted a feature.

I would also think that the quicklube places buy in bulk to their spec at the minimum requirement for OEM. Don't know what you are going to get. I do know that that's where I see the most filters that are bypassing the filter material. Pull them off and very little oil inside. Rarely see that with OEM.

same as fuel type , oil brand , and now filters . oem is the safest , imo