PDA

View Full Version : Internet in the garage

brslk
12-30-2018, 01:11 AM
My garage is only about 20 feet from the back of the house to the front of the garage but I can't get a signal out there. There is Hardy board siding on the garage and the house. The wireless modem is in a room near the front of the house.
I've tried using the signal boosters that rely on electrical outlets on the same circuit but they made very little difference.

The cable, power and phone all come into the garage first and run to the house underground. I can see the TV cable at the fuse box in the garage and was wondering if there is a way to "tap" into that to get internet out there?
Would it require another account with Shaw to do so? Can I just buy a wireless modem and hook it up in the garage?

I'd thought about burying some cat6 cable to the garage but the basement of the house is finished and pulling wires to the back of the house sounds like a nightmare.

Thanks.

Xbolt7mm
12-30-2018, 05:29 AM
My garage is only about 20 feet from the back of the house to the front of the garage but I can't get a signal out there. There is Hardy board siding on the garage and the house. The wireless modem is in a room near the front of the house.
I've tried using the signal boosters that rely on electrical outlets on the same circuit but they made very little difference.

The cable, power and phone all come into the garage first and run to the house underground. I can see the TV cable at the fuse box in the garage and was wondering if there is a way to "tap" into that to get internet out there?
Would it require another account with Shaw to do so? Can I just buy a wireless modem and hook it up in the garage?

I'd thought about burying some cat6 cable to the garage but the basement of the house is finished and pulling wires to the back of the house sounds like a nightmare.

Thanks.

Call your service provider

Kim473
12-30-2018, 06:49 AM
Try something like the smart home stuff.

https://www.lowes.ca/smart-hubs/samsung-smartthings-wi-fi-3-pack_g3071168.html

Flatlandliver
12-30-2018, 07:01 AM
Try a range extender/signal booster first. Considerably cheaper

https://m.staples.ca/en/D-Link-DAP-1720-AC1750-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/product_2611542_1-CA_1_20001

Okotok
12-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Telus added a second modem at my place. No additional charge. I also have a booster as my place is three stories not including the basement.

EZM
12-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Definitely call your service provider - there's an excellent chance they will rectify the issue for you, at NO CHARGE to you whatsoever, and likely will use one of the solutions people mentioned above.

You pay for internet, it's their job to provide it to you and it shouldn't cost you a nickel.

brslk
12-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Definitely call your service provider - there's an excellent chance they will rectify the issue for you, at NO CHARGE to you whatsoever, and likely will use one of the solutions people mentioned above.

You pay for internet, it's their job to provide it to you and it shouldn't cost you a nickel.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

powersteve
12-30-2018, 08:52 PM
I would run a cable to a second router in the garage. Simpler, more efficient and reliable than using wifi extenders, although it may be more work.

pannas
12-30-2018, 09:51 PM
The booster box you tried - is it just a WiFi booster? If so, this wouldn't work because it would only be retransmitting a weak signal (the signal to connect to it in the garage might be good but this is just the end device to the box - the box itself is only retransmitting a weak signal)
An Ethernet over power box however, should work great if your garage is on the same power circuit as the house. These require one box plugged in next to the router (with a cat 5/6 cable connecting it to your router) and the the other box in the garage. Speed will be determined by the box you buy. It's effectively the same as running an Ethernet cable - but just to be clear, it's not a booster
I've been running one for 4 years now, streaming high def to my TV, with zero issues. Mine has a 4 port router on the end so I can connect multiple devices (including a WiFi access point)

FCLightning
12-30-2018, 10:40 PM
I would run a cable to a second router in the garage. Simpler, more efficient and reliable than using wifi extenders, although it may be more work.

Trying to run cable might be a lot of work and prove difficult. Running a pair of P2P antenna from the house router to a router in the garage is much easier. https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-Networks-NanoStation-Loco-antenna/dp/B00DCNRTAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546234656&sr=8-1&keywords=loco+m2
I have a pair of these set up and they work excellent out to the shop some 200 ft. away.

MyAlberta
12-30-2018, 11:06 PM
How many pair is your phone line? Like, who needs a phone line

crazy_davey
12-31-2018, 01:15 AM

Just did this, works great. Was running a gas line to the shop, also installed a 1” PVC pipe. This way I could run cat6 cable and cable from the satalite dish to the shop instead of mounting a sat dish on the side of the shop. If you’re going to have internet, might as well have a big screen tv as well :)

Reeves1
12-31-2018, 06:45 AM
You guys need a project if you have time for internet / TV !

https://i.imgur.com/qDJeeUW.jpg

:sHa_shakeshout:

FCLightning
12-31-2018, 08:21 AM

Nice!

Jayhad
12-31-2018, 09:52 AM
If you have COAX headed in the garage just use a couple of MOCA adapters. You'll need one at each end but it converts COAX to be able to use it like a Ethernet cable.

Rdamours
12-31-2018, 06:01 PM
Anyone of the Dlink Powerline adapters will work for you. One end of the network cable out of the cable modem plugs into the powerline adapter and that plugs into a power outlet nearby. Plug another adapter into a power outlet in your garage and plug your laptop/PC in with an ethernet cable and you are up and running. Your ethernet connection is carried through your electrical outlets.

brslk
12-31-2018, 06:26 PM
Anyone of the Dlink Powerline adapters will work for you. One end of the network cable out of the cable modem plugs into the powerline adapter and that plugs into a power outlet nearby. Plug another adapter into a power outlet in your garage and plug your laptop/PC in with an ethernet cable and you are up and running. Your ethernet connection is carried through your electrical outlets.

Tried that and only slightly improved the internet connection.

RandyBoBandy
12-31-2018, 06:43 PM

OMG !! Sweet!!

wellpastcold
01-01-2019, 06:11 AM

I just installed one of these set ups in my garage yesterday. Very impressive results. Paid $99 at Bestbuy. Saved a lot of time and effort not having to run a cable.

Jayhad
01-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Tried that and only slightly improved the internet connection.

I have a Telus Boost installed in my garage, works flawlessly.