PDA

View Full Version : gas line cost help

tripnaxel
12-30-2018, 06:27 AM
We are looking to trench in a natural gas line about 75m from the road to where we would like the meter located. I have access to equipment to trench and lay pipe myself. My questions are:

1. How close do you need to bring the pipe to the main line, does the utility company expose the connection?
2. What is a typical connection fee that a utility company might charge
3. Where is a good place to buy black pipe from?
4. What was your install cost and how long of a run?

We are very new to new service installation. We are trying to start the ground prep for a cabin at Amisk lake this spring. Just wondering how much we should budget for the gas line, approx. of course. Google doesn't give much information, looking for real world experiences. Thanks, feedback appreciated.

kingrat
12-30-2018, 07:08 AM
When I did mine sask energy had to do it themselves. That was the only option. And mine was 15000 to go 3/4 mile across an open field no roads and they did the meter install and hookup.from the Meter into your house is your problem, this was about 6 years ago. Makes sense I guess that way if something ever leaks or goes wrong it's their fault and problem.

Manning74
12-30-2018, 07:55 AM
My gas servive cost me 5500$ back in 2011, this was in the Md of big lakes . Most Md’s charge a flat rate no mater the distance , wouldnt bother doing any of the work yourself wont save you a dime , they ran 1.5 miles of gas line for me at that price so i got my money worth on that one. One neighbour that tied into that line a few years later was hit for 6000$ and they only had to run 400m

Big Grey Wolf
12-30-2018, 07:59 AM
Few years back payed a guy to Ditch witch trench while at work. Then drove into city on coffee break, picked up 700 foot role of pipe, unrolled into trench, told guy to push dirt back into trench, done, went back to work. Gas company connects the ends at much reduced cost, they will pressure test your line before hookup.

Trochu
12-30-2018, 08:00 AM
I highly doubt they'll let you touch anything on their side of the meter and, maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think you want to bury black pile. If its underground you want the yellow PVC.

Reeves1
12-30-2018, 08:04 AM
I put about 200' in at my place. Went from the meter to the shop.
Bought the trace wire, gas pipe (yellow) and sweeps from Total in town.
Ditch myself (I have a small tractor with hoe).
Back filled myself & Total came out to do the hook ups.
Don't remember the cost, but remember it being cheap.

Manning74
12-30-2018, 08:10 AM
They wont let you run your own service , after its in if you want tie into the meter to run to a shop thats fine

tripnaxel
12-30-2018, 08:24 AM
thanks for the replies. For some reason I thought I could run black pipe inside a conduit. You are correct, yellow coated pipe it is. I'll call the county and service co after the holidays to see if I can just pull a permit and do it myself in my county. Now to weigh the cost of propane vs gas. Any more gas install cost replies are welcomed.

ceedub
12-30-2018, 08:26 AM
When we put in our service in 2011 it was a flat fee of $6500, didn’t matter if you went 50 meters or 2 miles. I don’t think they’ll let you do any work at all on their side of the meter.

Craig

trophybook
12-30-2018, 08:30 AM
Buck mountain was 7500 to go 1.5m. Reason was it is a
"co op".everyone pays the same

Big Grey Wolf
12-30-2018, 08:50 AM
The first line I did during coffee break was by Ft Sask. Last line install by Parkland Gas Coop, I was happy they did total 1000 ft install for ~ $2000.
They had to cross major spring area where I had two D7 cats stuck. I was glad they did all the heavy lifting through the spring/bog area.

59whiskers
12-30-2018, 08:52 AM
All primary gas lines installed up stream of the gas meter are installed by the gas company or gas coop to avoid installation issues/liabilities. All new gas service lines installed are poly pipe, not pvc pipe. Secondary gas lines down stream of meter can be installed by customer as long as installation procedures are to code specs. Gas utilities will provide estimates for both primary and secondary installations. Prefabricated secondary gas services can be purchased from a gas utility for customer dig installations. If you dig your own secondary gas line in get 1st call locates.

curtz
12-30-2018, 09:03 AM
Pretty sure the gas company has to put the pipe in from the main to the meter. When I built,mine was $4500, I ran gas to my shop after myself. I ordered the proper yellow gas pipe with the ends attached already.

snowshoes
12-30-2018, 01:59 PM
We are looking to trench in a natural gas line about 75m from the road to where we would like the meter located. I have access to equipment to trench and lay pipe myself. My questions are:

1. How close do you need to bring the pipe to the main line, does the utility company expose the connection?
2. What is a typical connection fee that a utility company might charge
3. Where is a good place to buy black pipe from?
4. What was your install cost and how long of a run?

We are very new to new service installation. We are trying to start the ground prep for a cabin at Amisk lake this spring. Just wondering how much we should budget for the gas line, approx. of course. Google doesn't give much information, looking for real world experiences. Thanks, feedback appreciated.
First off, contact the Gas Utility/Gas Co-op in that area with your legal land description. If your "cabin" is considered to be in a Subdivision or Development, you would likely only require a Urban Gas Contract (which is typically less money) than a Rural Gas Contract.
The Utility Company will be the ones doing the installation of the primary underground gas line, up to and including the meter.
Any low pressure secondary gas lines (downstream of the gas meter) can be installed by the homeowner or a gasfitter ( Installation has to meet Code and requires a Gas Permit & air test).
As far as cost are concerned, its best to find out what Gas Utility franchise area your in. There can be a significant cost variation from Gas Co-op to Gas Co-op (member owned) and Gas Utility Companies (investor owned).

tripnaxel
12-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Thank you very much for the response I will contact them. It is in a subdivision hopefully that helps cost wise.

sweld
12-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Our cabin/lake lot is in a subdivision. 50m to run gas to the cabin. 5000 flat rate. In Yellowhead County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flatlandliver
12-31-2018, 08:38 AM
All primary gas lines installed up stream of the gas meter are installed by the gas company or gas coop to avoid installation issues/liabilities. All new gas service lines installed are poly pipe, not pvc pipe. Secondary gas lines down stream of meter can be installed by customer as long as installation procedures are to code specs. Gas utilities will provide estimates for both primary and secondary installations. Prefabricated secondary gas services can be purchased from a gas utility for customer dig installations. If you dig your own secondary gas line in get 1st call locates.

This.
Was $2600 to relocate the meter and run new supply line in Airdrie.