PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing around piers

220 Swift
12-30-2018, 07:52 AM
So at Last Mountain Lake in Sask there is a pier at regina beach that reaches out ~ 100 feet in the water.

Summertime
people are fishing like crazy on the pier. Yes they probably dont have boats.

In the Winter -
people set up ice shacks 200 yards further in the water on the ice to the north.
There are pressure ridges kind of around the pier but people with pop ups dont stop there they walk by out to the 200yards beyond the pier. Funny thing is that not many people fish here in the summer as they are closer to shore further to the west. I realize fish change their patterns.

Under water/ice Structure
At the 200 yard mark the lake is fairly flat pancaked as it generally is on the south arm. Depth mark at 200 yard where all the ice shacks are , is 16-17 feet.

Depth at the end of the pier is around 13' if i recall. There is a long underground sandbar as well paralleling the pier about 100 yards to the east that i have walked out in in the summer 100 feet or so in waistline deep water. This sandbar has a pressure ridge above.

Questions:
So any reason why people wouldnt walk on around the pier and zap some holes and set up a popup ? Are people concerned for pressure ridges? When they drive on here they are beside the ridges. A few guys don't stick to the path every season lol.

220 Swift
12-30-2018, 08:26 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181230/2696c6b4be15dc054c0c8ca7b69d28f4.jpg

Pier is in the west portion of green pointing north. Sand bar isnt shown either it is on the little point on the same green square. It runs a more NE direction pointing towards the " t " in Alta.

I plan to walk down and drill a couple holes today and try it for a bit.

220 Swift
01-01-2019, 09:22 AM
So not doing what everyone else does worked for me. I saw alot of fish jacks and a few walleye on the camera. Whitefish and burbot as well. Never seem them before. I caught the burbot. He hammered it hard. I was standing on 7.5 feet of water.

Tons of Schools of minnows, weeds- almost flattened and i stayed back from the pier 50' as i wasnt sure on ice thickness over there. I was on 12" ice.

Seems alot better than fishing on the flat bare moon where everyone else was. In the 17' water.
Just saw a couple jacks there the day before.

220 Swift
01-01-2019, 09:23 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190101/428a52b743e024df3c9b5296e0956856.jpg

Cant believe how thick they are. Or the eyes that look at you when pulling them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

openfire
01-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Great idea ! I was thinking the same thing. Glad you tried it out !

220 Swift
01-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Great idea ! I was thinking the same thing. Glad you tried it out !

I am guessing where you go people do the same thing. Drive out to the middle where the ice is thick and set up above a Moon or Mars looking structure.
The map I posted is in Meters from i dont know when but fairly accurate with the flatness.
When driving my boat its relatively no change on the humminbird