PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Tank Question for the Plumbers

fishingnut
01-02-2019, 06:53 AM
Morning,
So a couple years ago I heard that they maybe discontinuing the old hot water tanks (atmospheric) by 2020. Have not heard anymore about this, just curious if any of the plumbers on here can shed some light on this for me.
Thank you!

Dewey Cox
01-02-2019, 07:54 AM
It got scrapped once already, so who knows.
I haven't heard a new definite timeline for a changeover.

CaberTosser
01-02-2019, 08:46 AM
I had heard something along those lines a few years ago but nothing recently. It was being noted to me by some suppliers but it also co-incided with a manufacturer changing their sku system and as such model #’S were being changed thought the tanks themselves were still available. I think they had misconstrued elimination of those model numbers to mean that the type of tanks were being discontinued. I posted something to the effect of what they had told me and felt poorly about that, I even corrected in the thread once I discovered nothing was looming in that regard.

It would be quite a hit for homeowners as power direct vent heaters cost quite a bit more, then there would be all of the chimney conversions. I do like their lower standby temperature loss though, a normal heater is constantly losing btu’s through its chimney as the hot water around it heats the air in it.

Grizzly Adams
01-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Somebody told me hot water tank prices have about doubled with Trump's duty on steel. Is it true?

Grizz

CaberTosser
01-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Somebody told me hot water tank prices have about doubled with Trump's duty on steel. Is it true?

Grizz

The 50 gallon atmospheric tanks I buy have gone up about $150 my cost in the last year or so, slightly less for the 40's.

fishingnut
04-05-2020, 11:48 AM
So back to this question again, any word if the atmospheric tanks are being phased out yet or are we good for a couple more years? I am need of one next year, fingers crossed so that is why I asking the question again. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thx!

Dewey Cox
04-05-2020, 02:25 PM
It got scrapped once already, so who knows.
I haven't heard a new definite timeline for a changeover.

My answer still stands.
A definite "I dunno". (Shrug)
I haven't noticed anything about it in the plumbing magazines, and that's where I heard about it first last time around.