PDA

View Full Version : Does Fish Attractants and scented liquids work?

HuyFishin
01-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Hey guys just wondering what your thoughts are on scented attractants that advertise more strikes and fish by masking human scents and odors. Do any of these really work?

pinelakeperch
01-02-2019, 02:36 PM
In a very un-scientific setting, I noticed that using pink, shrimp scented "lunker lotion" outperformed my partners who used unscented baits. Very anecdotal, but I certainly haven't noticed them harm any results.

rem338win
01-02-2019, 02:37 PM
I've used scented baits and liquid attract ants and can day some work.

I used to used a putrid fish oil we bought in lethbridge as a kid. Bouncing buck tails for walleye your go 3:1 with that attractant.

You smelled like a bucket of old guts in the sun afterward but the fishing was good.

Smoky buck
01-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Flavouring and scent can make a big difference with some species but other species are more sight feeder so it does not matter much

Scent really shines with stationary or slow presentations where fish can take time to decide if they want what you are offering

Hunter4ever12
01-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Tried one of those fish bombs yesterday....nothing came lol. I’ve tried some fish scents on my lures as well in the past didn’t catch anything either. I’ll just stick with presentation.

Dewey Cox
01-02-2019, 06:23 PM
I dont think those fish bombs are kosher, unless you have a hook and a line on them.

220 Swift
01-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Ive been thinking on harvesting fish oil as trappers do. I have been pondering giving this a try.

Gbuss
01-02-2019, 08:55 PM
I will say this. If your fishing crystal clear water 100% on presentation. If the water is murky scent helps to attract and so dose rattle inserts.

Gbuss

Wes_G
01-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Tried one of those fish bombs yesterday....nothing came lol. I’ve tried some fish scents on my lures as well in the past didn’t catch anything either. I’ll just stick with presentation.

You might want to read your reg's as those are illegal to use in Alberta, unless you somehow rigged a hook on it.

338Bluff
01-02-2019, 11:44 PM
You might want to read your reg's as those are illegal to use in Alberta, unless you somehow rigged a hook on it.

I"m sure it was in front of a trail cam...photo purposes only. Seriously though Cabelas should get a ticket for even having the stuff on the shelf.

HuyFishin
01-03-2019, 12:09 AM
I"m sure it was in front of a trail cam...photo purposes only. Seriously though Cabelas should get a ticket for even having the stuff on the shelf.

Tons of things are not illegal to be sold but illegal to own, use or have.

I apply glass tint for a living, which is not illegal to install or sell.

However it's illegal for the customer to have it on the front drivers and passengers window. Customers responsible for upholding any laws.

ghostguy6
01-03-2019, 09:36 AM
I dont think those fish bombs are kosher, unless you have a hook and a line on them.

Still legal on private ponds though..... I tried one tube on a private trout pond with clear water, they actually scared the trout away.

The scented spray on liquids do work for me but then again so does using greasy bait.

tool
01-04-2019, 12:22 AM
I’ve tried some of the fish scent attractants and can’t really say I noticed any difference.
Years ago on a fishing trip a neighbour had some new wonderful spray on attractant, I do t remember what it was but it dissolved the paint off his spoon. Lol

Believe it or not, my great uncle used to swear that giving his spoons a light shot of WD40 caught him more fish. Boggles my mind but he did actually catch fish after doing so.

57charlie
01-04-2019, 01:52 AM
I’ve tried some of the fish scent attractants and can’t really say I noticed any difference.
Years ago on a fishing trip a neighbour had some new wonderful spray on attractant, I do t remember what it was but it dissolved the paint off his spoon. Lol

Believe it or not, my great uncle used to swear that giving his spoons a light shot of WD40 caught him more fish. Boggles my mind but he did actually catch fish after doing so.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been a long standing myth that WD40 was made from fish oil...it's not.

The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being “solvent naptha, petroleum, medium aliphatic”.

JD848
01-04-2019, 03:17 AM
They work great when I have used them,some are better than others ,but some are very good,.The liquid in culp I just soak over night all my tubes or twisters ,jigs in with whatever you use and give it a go.

Justfishin73
01-04-2019, 08:08 AM
All of them area waste of money IMO

TimboLefty
01-04-2019, 08:28 AM
All of them area waste of money IMO

Kinda what I think too. I’ve never really seen a difference.

tool
01-04-2019, 08:31 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been a long standing myth that WD40 was made from fish oil...it's not.

The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being “solvent naptha, petroleum, medium aliphatic”.

It's funny, after I posted that last night I got thinking about the WD40 thing and how crazy it seemed to me even as a kid 30 years ago. I googled it only to find out that it's actually "a thing" people were talking about it all over the web and there is a number of YouTube videos on the subject, still seems crazy to me and would be the last thing I'd want on my lure.
My Great Uncle's theory was that fish were repelled by the scent of humans handling your lure and so forth, he believed that the WD40 masked this. Personally I'd think the fish would just be repelled by the scent of the WD40, but like I say he did catch fish after spraying his lure so maybe those fish just aren't so big on smell as we think they are.

HuyFishin
01-04-2019, 08:37 AM
People tell me they catch sturgeon using wd40 I wonder if it has a an impact on our rivers.

Smoky buck
01-04-2019, 09:07 AM
People tell me they catch sturgeon using wd40 I wonder if it has a an impact on our rivers.

It was common to use wd40 for sturgeon in The Fraser river but it has been basically abandoned for better options. Sturgeon are a species scent is a big factor but wd40 is not as good compared to homemade and commercial options