PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Cold Lake Ice and Fishing Reports

lromanchuk
01-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Last years thread was very informative, so let's keep it rolling again this year.

Whats the latest ice report out there? Anyone get into a good laker bite yet?

Good luck and be safe out there. It's a dangerous lake.

1bowhunter12
01-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Headed there next week for a couple days .. hopefully the weather is decent and fish are on the bite ... pumped ..

rasbok
01-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Was there today for half a day, French Bay 14-15 inch of ice. Bite was slow. Caught a couple on the jawjacker autojig. 90 ft of water

lromanchuk
01-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Some were saying as low as 6 inches near the Marina. Has anyone gone mid-lake towards some humps yet?

Mackinaw
01-04-2019, 09:34 PM
main lake is still thin ice you can walk out a ways but not close to going to humps yet

mack

Teamprotz
01-05-2019, 07:00 AM
How much snow fell that way yesterday ?? Lloyd got 8+"

icecap
01-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Just spent the last three days up there fishing French bay. Didn’t get any snow up there. Probably 3 inches on the lake right now. Fishing was steady all three days. Caught a bunch but nothing legal. I know, before I say it it’s just my opinion. But I wish Saskatchewan and Alberta could agree on a tag system for that lake. Even if you could just buy say 3 ‘general’ tags with your licence purchase, if you wanted them. At least then a guy could keep a couple smaller better eating Lakers. There’s no shortage of fish. Like I said I put 80 on the ice in 2.5 days and biggest was 73 cm.

HuyFishin
01-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Just spent the last three days up there fishing French bay. Didn’t get any snow up there. Probably 3 inches on the lake right now. Fishing was steady all three days. Caught a bunch but nothing legal. I know, before I say it it’s just my opinion. But I wish Saskatchewan and Alberta could agree on a tag system for that lake. Even if you could just buy say 3 ‘general’ tags with your licence purchase, if you wanted them. At least then a guy could keep a couple smaller better eating Lakers. There’s no shortage of fish. Like I said I put 80 on the ice in 2.5 days and biggest was 73 cm.

Slot sizes is what they need. Let all the big breeders go

35 whelen
01-06-2019, 05:16 PM
I just don't get what the biologists are trying to do their kill the big ones and keep the small ones don't get it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

MooseRiverTrapper
01-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Cold lake regs are a prime example of the misguided, uninformed hammerheaded management in this province. Someone should do us all a favour and go to Bonnyville or cold lake wherever that stunned Bio meatball hides and beat the hell out of him with a frozen 24” jackfish.

pikeman06
01-06-2019, 10:10 PM
I second that motion...then shove a skinny, frozen minnow addicted, sorry excuse for a walleye right where the sun don't shine.... tag and all.😯

58thecat
01-07-2019, 05:48 AM

Sounds like a great time catching....some go fishing and we'll catch nothing...I believe lake is on the rebound....let the big ones go and eat a 12-14" fish would be awesome.....now it comes down to us as anglers to govern ourselves and let the big ones go as we know it is azzz backwards so up out of the water, quick pictures then in she goes....

35 whelen
01-07-2019, 08:00 AM
Exactly I also believe that the mortality rate on these ice fish lake trout is probably about 60% people take too long to take pictures bringing them out of the water and -20 they have a high mortality rate to start with.

lromanchuk
01-08-2019, 01:24 PM
This weather will certainly help the ice. Can't wait to get out!

Fishtracker
01-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Anyone else notice same thing on Chain Lake south of Calgary? Seems slow their also with exception of the suckers.

Fishtracker
01-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Ooops, sorry posted to wrong thread.

7magtime
01-10-2019, 11:18 AM
I've accessed the lake from the Prov. Park but not French Bay before. I take it you access the lake just to the west of the ski hill at French Bay? Also, I heard trucks are driving on French Bay but not the Prov. Park yet correct?. Thanks for the info.

HuyFishin
01-10-2019, 11:32 AM

I notice that everyones talking about provincial park and french bay.

what do you call this area and marina?
Also do people fish this area often with any luck?

7magtime
01-10-2019, 11:44 AM

That's out in front of the marina I believe.

7mmremmag
01-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Thats right in front of the marina.
Lots of people fish there, although I never have.
Not too sure how the fishing is there.

Tcon
01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
I'm heading up this weekend for saturday/sunday. Any reports on how the main lake is doing ice thickness wise?

Weavster
01-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Yep the marina is actually a pretty decent place to fish. In the early season its popular due to its distance(minimal walking). I have had some pretty good days out there from the start of the season to the end of it.

Weavster
01-10-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm heading up this weekend for saturday/sunday. Any reports on how the main lake is doing ice thickness wise?

I was last out at the provincial park on Sunday and there was 6" out there and a buddy said it was the same off the marina as well.

7magtime
01-10-2019, 03:48 PM
I was last out at the provincial park on Sunday and there was 6" out there and a buddy said it was the same off the marina as well.

Thanks for the update. Any heaves/cracks or sketchy areas off the Prov. Park?

Tcon
01-10-2019, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info, I hope the cold snap put on a couple inches!

1bowhunter12
01-10-2019, 08:06 PM
15 inches measured everywhere in French bay that I went ..slow fishing yesterday but snagged a half dozen this morning ..

Weavster
01-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the update. Any heaves/cracks or sketchy areas off the Prov. Park?

there was a little flood water in places from the warm weather and the weight of the ice. But its been cold the last few days so it could be different now

lromanchuk
01-12-2019, 09:51 AM
I just heard that a side by side broke through at English Bay.

Ice is very inconsistent on this lake, be patient.

1bowhunter12
01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
^ seen pics ... how deep of water is in and is it on the bottom ??

Huzza
01-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Was out today, and two of us landed 6, seen lots on radar.

58thecat
01-12-2019, 06:31 PM
I just heard that a side by side broke through at English Bay.

Ice is very inconsistent on this lake, be patient.

Yup, was out today quading and well had a anul pucking moment as I rounded a corner near a beaver dam I sunk and pinned it for all that little Honda could do...30 yards of water and slush and well residual arse matter, man she was just below the seat in slush so I leaned back and pinned it at the same time yelling at the wife who was on her quad Noooooo......she heard Goooooo but saw what I was doing so turned around....called me a idiot....I never meant that one....trust me....:)

Be careful out there...cold, warm, and then snow on top of the ice......nothing has settled yet....-20 for two weeks would be nice.

rasbok
01-13-2019, 12:53 PM
That sounds scary. I was out on French Bay yesterday we landed 3 between the of us. Lots of people were out yesterday.

Yup, was out today quading and well had a anul pucking moment as I rounded a corner near a beaver dam I sunk and pinned it for all that little Honda could do...30 yards of water and slush and well residual arse matter, man she was just below the seat in slush so I leaned back and pinned it at the same time yelling at the wife who was on her quad Noooooo......she heard Goooooo but saw what I was doing so turned around....called me a idiot....I never meant that one....trust me....:)

Be careful out there...cold, warm, and then snow on top of the ice......nothing has settled yet....-20 for two weeks would be nice.

Angler4473
01-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Has anybody been out lately to know how much snow is on the lake? Just wondering how hard it would be to pull a clam out from the provincial park

58thecat
01-14-2019, 06:51 PM
That sounds scary. I was out on French Bay yesterday we landed 3 between the of us. Lots of people were out yesterday.

I know some are out in English bay 70' of water and hammered them, 8" of ice they say so they walked out.
No keepers but lots of action.

Binati
01-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Pushed my first foray by a month to make sure the ice is thick enough. I will be watching this closely. Pulling a trailer shack out and staying a couple nights. Please keep the reports up intensely interested.

rasbok
01-14-2019, 08:14 PM
Sure hope we get some more cold weather. I fish French Bay because it’s so much easier for me to get there. Fishing always seams to be better on the big lake. How do you get access to English bay?

I know some are out in English bay 70' of water and hammered them, 8" of ice they say so they walked out.
No keepers but lots of action.

Crazy4MooseHunting
01-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Was out Saturday. Landed 9 in 3 hrs between two guys. Three over 75. Fished Frenchman bay. 15” of ice where we were. Very jagged ice chunks. Took it easy pulling my otter flipover and still took out chunks from the runners

Mackinaw
01-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Pushed my first foray by a month to make sure the ice is thick enough. I will be watching this closely. Pulling a trailer shack out and staying a couple nights. Please keep the reports up intensely interested.

there is a small house trailer out at frenchmen bay

mack

Fil_Can_Yakker
01-15-2019, 05:33 AM
there is a small house trailer out at frenchmen bay

mack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58thecat
01-15-2019, 05:49 AM
Sure hope we get some more cold weather. I fish French Bay because it’s so much easier for me to get there. Fishing always seams to be better on the big lake. How do you get access to English bay?

From the campground.

-JR-
01-15-2019, 06:10 PM
Anyone know how thick the ice is right at the provincial campgrounds where everyone parks and unloads

Tcon
01-16-2019, 11:57 PM
I was out there last weekend. We started at the provincial park and punched holes every few hundred meters towards french bay. The ice was 12-15" all the way to french bay. As you near french bay the ice gets very jagged and the thickness is sporadic. At the very north end of french just south of all the jagged ice it was only 10" thick.

Saw lots on the sonar but only landed about 30 fish between the two of us.

tangledangler
01-17-2019, 02:56 AM
Looks like the temps are going to drop this week, I am hoping to head out next weekend. I will prob bring the quad just in case, but excited for the first laker trip of the year.

58thecat
01-17-2019, 06:07 AM
Looks like the temps are going to drop this week, I am hoping to head out next weekend. I will prob bring the quad just in case, but excited for the first laker trip of the year.

Good luck!

-30 this morning and dipping.......:)

rasbok
01-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the update. Hopefully this cold stretch will make some good ice. Ps. Only 30 is an awesome day for this guy.

QUOTE=Tcon;3913140]I was out there last weekend. We started at the provincial park and punched holes every few hundred meters towards french bay. The ice was 12-15" all the way to french bay. As you near french bay the ice gets very jagged and the thickness is sporadic. At the very north end of french just south of all the jagged ice it was only 10" thick.

Saw lots on the sonar but only landed about 30 fish between the two of us.[/QUOTE]

BGSH
01-17-2019, 06:19 PM
8” ice English bay in front of the campsite as of yesterday.

Talking moose
01-17-2019, 06:25 PM
One guy says 12-17 a week ago, another guy says 8...... lol. Best punch holes yourself.

Teamprotz
01-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Good luck sushi- stay warm !!!!!

Penner
01-18-2019, 12:17 PM
One guy says 12-17 a week ago, another guy says 8...... lol. Best punch holes yourself.

French vs main lake makes a big difference so 15” in French bay and 8” on the main lake would make total sense. Agree however always best to confirm with own eyes particularly on that lake?

Mackinaw
01-18-2019, 06:43 PM
A few trucks parked on lake at PP just to unload quads and sleds no truck going much off shore line

mack

-JR-
01-19-2019, 04:42 AM
A few trucks parked on lake at PP just to unload quads and sleds no truck going much off shore line

mack

Thanks Mackinaw for the answer I was looking for .
Hopfully next weekend I will be out their on my quad .
Do you know how deep the snow is ?
Are the quads driving around ok ?

Mackinaw
01-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Thanks Mackinaw for the answer I was looking for .
Hopfully next weekend I will be out their on my quad .
Do you know how deep the snow is ?
Are the quads driving around ok ?

snow was getting a little deep but we had some freezing and a couple warmer days so it packed down some so it is not bad should be no problem.

mack

tonypower
01-20-2019, 04:54 PM
I want to take a weekend trip up to cold lake with some friends. Just wondering if anyone knows of any cabin rentals that are close to the lake. I looked on air B&B but there wasn’t much.

Chief16
01-20-2019, 06:37 PM
I want to take a weekend trip up to cold lake with some friends. Just wondering if anyone knows of any cabin rentals that are close to the lake. I looked on air B&B but there wasn’t much.

Not quite what you are looking for, but there is a thread on cold lake hotels. Might get answer if you asked about cabins specifically on that thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=357801

Mackinaw
01-21-2019, 12:06 AM

check out "Evergreen Birch Lodge" 5 min from PP or Marina
they have accommodation for large or small groups.
talk to Bev.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiR9_-TqP7fAhVfFzQIHTL3Ai0QFjACegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evergreenbirchlodge.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw3GfUDpfKqrOtvDJCtGwB5p
mack

Chris5672
01-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Anyone have any recent updates on ice conditions, wanted to take the wife up there this weekend but didn’t want to make the long trip if we can’t drive on.

tonypower
01-21-2019, 06:34 PM
check out "Evergreen Birch Lodge" 5 min from PP or Marina
they have accommodation for large or small groups.
talk to Bev.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiR9_-TqP7fAhVfFzQIHTL3Ai0QFjACegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evergreenbirchlodge.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw3GfUDpfKqrOtvDJCtGwB5p
mack

That’s awesome! Thank you.

1bowhunter12
01-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Anyone have any recent updates on ice conditions, wanted to take the wife up there this weekend but didn’t want to make the long trip if we can’t drive on.

Reports seem sketchy for driving everywhere except frenchbay.. I had my 3/4 ton all over there weeks ago .. with no problem at all

Mitchthefisher
01-22-2019, 08:14 AM
I have not been personally but heard people driving out on provincal with 8-12" as of a few days ago

Wellcraft264
01-23-2019, 01:57 AM
Exactly I also believe that the mortality rate on these ice fish lake trout is probably about 60% people take too long to take pictures bringing them out of the water and -20 they have a high mortality rate to start with.

Isn't that the truth. Personaly I stay away in the winter, it's to frustrating to watch, sickens me.

OL_JR
01-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Isn't that the truth. Personaly I stay away in the winter, it's to frustrating to watch, sickens me.

To each their own, everyone has their own ethics. I wonder how many people that scoff at ice fishing lake trout have no issues throwing bait and trebles out for big egg laden pike in March?

Reports seem sketchy for driving everywhere except frenchbay.. I had my 3/4 ton all over there weeks ago .. with no problem at all

Was out their a few weeks ago as well and measured between 13 and 14 inches of good ice in french bay but didn't venture to far out. There was only one 3/4 ton cruising all over that I saw curious if it was you. Only other vehicles we saw going any distance were atv's and small suv's. Fishing was ok for us.

skhoser
01-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Im looking for info on the snow conditions on Cold Lake main lake. It there enough snow for a sled or is a quad better for getting around?

Mister Bee
01-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Im looking for info on the snow conditions on Cold Lake main lake. It there enough snow for a sled or is a quad better for getting around?

there is enough for a sled

1bowhunter12
01-23-2019, 07:46 PM
To each their own, everyone has their own ethics. I wonder how many people that scoff at ice fishing lake trout have no issues throwing bait and trebles out for big egg laden pike in March?

Was out their a few weeks ago as well and measured between 13 and 14 inches of good ice in french bay but didn't venture to far out. There was only one 3/4 ton cruising all over that I saw curious if it was you. Only other vehicles we saw going any distance were atv's and small suv's. Fishing was ok for us.

Very well could have been me .. black dodge .. not a duelly tho lol..

-JR-
01-23-2019, 08:01 PM
I will be out there is Saturday ,not taking any chance in my truck ,taking my Quad
Any one else heading out this saturday ?

skhoser
01-23-2019, 10:05 PM
there is enough for a sled

Thanks Mister Bee!

splake0
01-24-2019, 10:43 AM
I will be out there is Saturday ,not taking any chance in my truck ,taking my Quad
Any one else heading out this saturday ?

Bring a rain jacket

Slash8
01-24-2019, 10:52 AM
I second that motion...then shove a skinny, frozen minnow addicted, sorry excuse for a walleye right where the sun don't shine.... tag and all.😯

And then rip it out lol!

-JR-
01-24-2019, 06:34 PM
Just doing a day trip on saturday
Looks like its going to be nice on Saturday .
Sunday is another story.

splake0
01-24-2019, 06:56 PM
Just doing a day trip on saturday
Looks like its going to be nice on Saturday .
Sunday is another story.

Sat, 26 Jan
4°C
Periods of rain. High plus 4.
Night: Rain or snow. Low minus 4.

Mackinaw
01-24-2019, 08:14 PM
a few trucks on main lake out from the park not quite out to Garnets but close the -30 this morning helped for sure. snow conditions are good enough for sleds but still real good for quads.

mack

lromanchuk
01-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Has anyone ventured out to the mid lake humps with a quad or sled yet? If so, how much ice was out there?

35 whelen
01-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Headed out in early February for a tune-up trip to Northern Manitoba can't wait for both some reports after the weekend would be great

swampy45
01-26-2019, 12:17 PM
slow fishing yesterday, managed 8 fish between 2 people. lots of chasers.

58thecat
01-27-2019, 12:51 PM
-4 out and 50 km winds from the north....I think it's whitecaping out there.:)

swampy45
01-27-2019, 02:55 PM
-4 out and 50 km winds from the north....I think it's whitecaping out there.:)

buddy of mine is supposed to be staying up there the next three days in his tent on the ice... dibs out.

OL_JR
01-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Very well could have been me .. black dodge .. not a duelly tho lol..

Haha no not a black Dodge, or a dually.

marky_mark
01-27-2019, 09:53 PM
slow fishing yesterday, managed 8 fish between 2 people. lots of chasers.

Were you using a 5 of diamonds ?
I heard that’s the secret weapon

swampy45
01-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Were you using a 5 of diamonds ?
I heard that’s the secret weapon

funny you should ask... I was slaying them on it. super surprised, but the old Len Thompson just produces big fish!

58thecat
01-28-2019, 07:19 PM
funny you should ask... I was slaying them on it. super surprised, but the old Len Thompson just produces big fish!

Yup talked to a fella who was fishing in 115 feet of water, bang the bottom, reel like a bugger, stop, reel like a bugger and took in 7 in two hours with lots of chasers....who would have thunk:snapoutofit:

35 whelen
01-29-2019, 07:11 AM
Oh man every Canadian Tires going to be sold out of five of diamonds now:)

swampy45
01-29-2019, 07:54 AM
Oh man every Canadian Tires going to be sold out of five of diamonds now:)

I swear I’m not a Len Thompson rep. :)

madcarpenter
01-30-2019, 08:20 PM
I too headed up last weekend for a bit of action on Cold Lake and boy she didn’t disappoint!

The ol’ TC MOTO tulibee and Len Thompson did the trick!

http://i.imgur.com/2ped7W4.jpg

13 lb 10oz from the Burbot Humps

For size comparison I’m 6’3 and 245lbs

I also landed a 10 lb 15oz laker that was legal but released it.

All in all 40 fish between 3 guys.

58thecat
01-31-2019, 06:50 AM
I too headed up last weekend for a bit of action on Cold Lake and boy she didn’t disappoint!

What a slab of meat....poor man's lobster:sHa_shakeshout:

lromanchuk
01-31-2019, 12:06 PM

Awesome burb.

lromanchuk
02-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Hopefully this cold snap puts the ice on the main lake where it needs to be.

Hows the snow conditions? Sled or quad best?

Teamprotz
02-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Or really heavy foot ? Lol

-JR-
02-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Hopefully this cold snap puts the ice on the main lake where it needs to be.

Hows the snow conditions? Sled or quad best?

100 % Sled

Last weekend I tried to drive my quad from Prov. boat launch to French and got stuck four times .Some places it was 4 inches of snow and others were 12 inches.
I just installed new mudlites on all 4, and the fronts would dig down and throw snow just in front of the rear tire and under the skid plate until i would get hung up .
As soon as the tires would hit the ice I would spin and get stuck. I wish I had my chains on last weekend .
I think the wind just blew the snow off the main lake and it ended up on the south side of the lake because the main lake had 4 inches of snow every where.
Ice was only 8 inches thick just in front of french bay. But a good foot thick 500 yards out towards the main lake. Be care full !

lromanchuk
02-02-2019, 07:31 PM
100 % Sled

Last weekend I tried to drive my quad from Prov. boat launch to French and got stuck four times .Some places it was 4 inches of snow and others were 12 inches.
I just installed new mudlites on all 4, and the fronts would dig down and throw snow just in front of the rear tire and under the skid plate until i would get hung up .
As soon as the tires would hit the ice I would spin and get stuck. I wish I had my chains on last weekend .
I think the wind just blew the snow off the main lake and it ended up on the south side of the lake because the main lake had 4 inches of snow every where.
Ice was only 8 inches thick just in front of french bay. But a good foot thick 500 yards out towards the main lake. Be care full !

Good to know. I'll dust off the sled. Hitting some mid lake humps in a few weeks, im sure it'll be ready by then.

jzz
02-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Hi, how many pounds line should I use if I go to cold lake? I am planning to there next couple of weeks. Thanks

rasbok
02-03-2019, 10:41 AM
I use 20 lb proline and 15 lb Fluoro x5-6 ft long leader. I don’t use a swivel anymore. I used to use lighter Fluoro but was always worries about it cutting on the edge of the bottom of the hole. FYI I haven’t caught a keeper in. Few years either. Good luck
Hi, how many pounds line should I use if I go to cold lake? I am planning to there next couple of weeks. Thanks

Binati
02-05-2019, 07:13 PM
I'm also up in a couple weeks and wondering how it is to buy any forgotten gear or line or etc. Going to hit cabelas and want to be appropriately stocked. First time trying for Lakers but kinda hope to catch a bit of everything.

58thecat
02-05-2019, 07:24 PM
I'm also up in a couple weeks and wondering how it is to buy any forgotten gear or line or etc. Going to hit cabelas and want to be appropriately stocked. First time trying for Lakers but kinda hope to catch a bit of everything.

Crappy tire.

Lots of stuff.

Mackinaw
02-05-2019, 10:06 PM

Sylvestres in Bonnyville or poachers corner in Glendon.
hopefully a new one opening in cold lake this spring.

mack

35 whelen
02-06-2019, 04:16 PM
How's the conditions been Can you quad how's the fishing been thanks

Weavster
02-06-2019, 07:29 PM
How's the conditions been Can you quad how's the fishing been thanks

theres a few drifts now but i'd imagine quad would still be fine. Fishing was hot on Monday lots of aggressive chasers had the bait pushed up against the park again...

35 whelen
02-07-2019, 08:00 AM
Okay thanks

RapStaff
02-07-2019, 06:55 PM
Whats a good depth to find a burbot at ? Never fished it before. Heading out in the morning.

Weavster
02-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Whats a good depth to find a burbot at ? Never fished it before. Heading out in the morning.
50-60 ft seems to be where guys are targeting them

gr8tbigkid
02-07-2019, 08:00 PM
heading there nxt weekend gona be chilly hoping to get the truck and trailer to the fishing spot out north from provincial hows ice ??:argue2::thinking-006:

58thecat
02-07-2019, 11:27 PM
heading there nxt weekend gona be chilly hoping to get the truck and trailer to the fishing spot out north from provincial hows ice ??:argue2::thinking-006:

After three days with nights hitting to -40.....she be getting thick quick and soon we will see the ice heaves start too....good thing is day time it's -25, clear, sunny and no wind.:)

French bay and in front of ski hill area a foot thick if not more now.

Mitchthefisher
02-08-2019, 05:56 AM

I hammered them in 90 feet last year but I think they move all over.

lromanchuk
02-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Heading up this weekend! Hows the bite been? Anyone out there in this cold?

Teamprotz
02-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Break trail , I’m gunnin for Monday , no work , no hockey !

Teamprotz
02-13-2019, 05:38 PM
Darn , hockey Monday , fish Sunday !! Can I get around with the f350 ? How’s the snow ?

MooseRiverTrapper
02-14-2019, 01:28 PM
What’s your biggest trout of cold this winter?

gr8tbigkid
02-14-2019, 01:53 PM
:thinking-006: hows the snow situation still get round with a pickup???:test:

Binati
02-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Wondering this too as I'm bringing a camper. Think I'm going to hedge and just grab some chains.

Weavster
02-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Wondering this too as I'm bringing a camper. Think I'm going to hedge and just grab some chains.

Im heading out tomorrow again ill try to post and update!

Teamprotz
02-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Thanks

rasbok
02-14-2019, 07:45 PM
Sure hope to get out next week when the weather breaks Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend

Mackinaw
02-14-2019, 10:11 PM
what’s your biggest trout of cold this winter?

33" 14lbs

mack

Weavster
02-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Hey guys snow isn’t to bad maybe a foot to a foot and a half some decent trails off the park! Tight lines and good luck out there this weekend

Teamprotz
02-15-2019, 10:11 AM
I’ll text when I get stuck. Too much hassle hauling sled with all my stuff, easier to bring two shovels !

K-J-F
02-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Any trails headed to Garnetts Point or the top of the Provincial Park? Anyone getting stuck? Debating on bringing the sled or to just send it with the truck.

Thanks

Weavster
02-15-2019, 03:30 PM
It looked like there was some trucks out at Newfie hump so id imagine there should be a good trail out there we fished off the park today it was slow but we still managed a couple really nice ones!

K-J-F
02-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Thanks Weavster I appreciate it.

Binati
02-16-2019, 09:16 PM
So going next weekend I'm wondering/hoping if the snow blows off the lake decent or not?

Teamprotz
02-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Any reports from today ?

lromanchuk
02-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Fishing was slow yesterday. 4 lakers between 2 guys. Not many marks, which was out of the norm.

Fished anywhere from 80-130 feet.

Trucks getting anywhere. Lots of good black ice even way out to mid lake humps.

-JR-
02-18-2019, 10:32 AM
How thick is the ice way out in the middle of the lake where some trucks have been going ?

lromanchuk
02-18-2019, 12:07 PM
No trucks ventured out as far as we went with our sleds, but they could have if they wanted to. 16-20 inches of black ice out there. We were 10 KM NorthEast of the PP.

Teamprotz
02-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Embarrassed to say , out loud on open forum, son and I never had a bite today

35 whelen
02-18-2019, 05:08 PM
Better start planning a trip to Manitoba

ifinder
02-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Rumour locals don,t care much for Alberta plates they like c&r

Teamprotz
02-18-2019, 05:38 PM
But it would be in June !

ifinder
02-18-2019, 05:47 PM
That post was meant with no disrespect I agree your regs r something just sayin hide your gear an good luck fishin

Teamprotz
02-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Flin flon has the friendliest people around just make sure your trailer is locked to your truck !

pikeman06
02-18-2019, 06:12 PM
That post was meant with no disrespect I agree your regs r something just sayin hide your gear an good luck fishin

Bahaha....there's probably 1000km of nets in the water at any given time in that province....c&r my arse. Manitobans love to eat fish I work with plenty of them. Lotsa manitoba plates in alberta workin away to provide for their families. I'm sure albertans don't like that either. But we all get along right?

35 whelen
02-18-2019, 06:32 PM
That's fine I'm from Manitoba and I go fishing there every year the less the better actually the way we like it.

Weavster
02-18-2019, 08:22 PM
The bite was tough this week, we really had to work for the few that we caught hopefully it picks up again shortly two weeks ago the action was pretty steady. We did manage a few couple nicer ones on Friday tho.

Jigapoolza
02-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Embarrassed to say , out loud on open forum, son and I never had a bite today

I have to say it’s kinda refreshing to see someone come on here and say they were skunked. It’s probably happened to all of us a time or two and it sure makes a person appreciate the good days!

-JR-
02-19-2019, 05:14 PM
I find Feb is all ways slow.
Will pick up in March with the blue sky !

Binati
02-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Going friday to Sunday. Going to start shallow on porch so we have something to eat. And try for the Lakers sat and sun. Hopefully we can make some friends out there more knowledgable to help find the fish. Skunk is always a possibility though.

pikeman06
02-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Going friday to Sunday. Going to start shallow on porch so we have something to eat. And try for the Lakers sat and sun. Hopefully we can make some friends out there more knowledgable to help find the fish. Skunk is always a possibility though.

Throw a tip up or two out for pike burbot or walleye while you are shallow. Takes the pressure off having a little meat in the pail first thing. You'll be fine. If you aren't getting any action don't sit there. Sheez a big lake and they don't just come to you. Fish aggresive and get the biters while they are biting. Then you can relax and go for the trouts.

Binati
02-20-2019, 01:48 PM
As mobile as we can. 2 of us gives us 4 lines but got a pull camper shack so wont be able to hop around too much with out messing around. Weather looks decent so we can just fish outside too.

K-J-F
02-23-2019, 09:38 PM
With my annual trip to Cold Lake in the books I wanted to give a quick update on how things are going out there. The driving conditions are getting sketchy as of today. With the strong wind and cold the snow is deep in some areas with a hard crust on top. We got stuck once going out and once on the way in. Thursday and Friday the driving was decent with the softer snow. BRING A SHOVEL I am glad I did. People are still driving around but be prepared to do some digging. As for the fishing the trout are being finicky. Caught 9 fish in 2 days between two guys with many short strikes. Lots of chases but really had to work to get them to bite. Almost all the fish were caught on the stinger hook. Overall it was a great trip and those trout have me going back every year. The picture attached is one of the 9 trout caught. I make the tubes and sell them on my website PM me if you are interested in getting some. Thanks to everyone that gave updates over the last few weeks. Tight Lines

https://i.imgur.com/Scg790p.jpg

35 whelen
02-24-2019, 07:32 AM
This Lake seems to be getting very slow wasn't too many years ago you could catch multiple multiple numbers of lake trout and the odd big one that's why I'm saving my coin and going to Manitoba they have some great deals stay right on the lake cost same amount of money is going to Cold Lake and getting a hotel for two nights anyway we got 12 albertans going in March looking for another group in April thanks . Thanks for your update on Cold Lake

lromanchuk
02-24-2019, 08:35 AM
This Lake seems to be getting very slow wasn't too many years ago you could catch multiple multiple numbers of lake trout and the odd big one that's why I'm saving my coin and going to Manitoba they have some great deals stay right on the lake cost same amount of money is going to Cold Lake and getting a hotel for two nights anyway we got 12 albertans going in March looking for another group in April thanks . Thanks for your update on Cold Lake

Cold gets fished HARD. No fishery can sustain that amount of constant pressure and keep its quality up. Still has monsters lurking around, but just tougher to find. But I don't mind the challenge.

-JR-
02-24-2019, 12:55 PM
There are a lot of lakers in Cold lake ,small and large.
I just find there are to many bait fish for them to feed on making it hard to catch any as they are all full.

lromanchuk
02-24-2019, 01:21 PM
There are a lot of lakers in Cold lake ,small and large.
I just find there are to many bait fish for them to feed on making it hard to catch any as they are all full.

Getting them to bite is definitely the most challenging part. There are days we mark fish every 10-15 minutes but can only manage a hand full of bites. Could be because they are stuffed full of bait fish already...

Jigapoolza
02-24-2019, 03:47 PM
So I don’t know the lake as well as a lot of you but don’t most of you blame the tough bite mostly on the fact the fish just aren’t feeding as much in the winter ? I don’t think we would be having this conversation in June or July.

Mackinaw
02-24-2019, 09:36 PM
So I don’t know the lake as well as a lot of you but don’t most of you blame the tough bite mostly on the fact the fish just aren’t feeding as much in the winter ? I don’t think we would be having this conversation in June or July.

Like most things lakers do eat less in the winter but I don't think that is as much a factor as in the summer you can cover more area in a boat trolling then you can drilling a hole and waiting then moving and drilling again plus the laker has a larger area of water that he will travel in because on the cold water turn over. I do agree with JR the abundance of bait fish and lakers adding additional items to their diet in the winter is also an issue

Mack

Binati
02-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Went all weekend. Got stuck several times, lost a tire chain and didn't sleep for the ice cracking. So pretry good trip except for the fact we caught zero fish. Had many chase the hooks on the sonar. Every new presentation I dropped would get interest but nothing bit. Fast jigging slow jigging pulling away small bait big bait rattlers shakers glow and spoons. It was our first time trying and I don't know if seeing them on radar is a blessing or a curse. Not many people out there from what I saw all weekend the few that were there were more than helpful though.

35 whelen
02-25-2019, 12:11 PM
WOW that's what I hear more and more ,this will be first year in 12 yrs that I did not hit cold lake.Will try my luck in Manitoba this year.

Teamprotz
02-25-2019, 01:53 PM
It was pretty loud last weekend too. There would be a huge boom and my son would lean forward and stare at the lowrance . I asked what he was looking for and with a straight face he said “ the truck “ !

Double_A_Ron
02-27-2019, 08:36 PM
Anyone know what the ice thickness or conditions are by English bay or that boat launch in the English Bay camp ground?

lromanchuk
03-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Thinking about leaving the sleds at home. Guys getting around well enough with a truck outside the bay?

nuke29
03-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Thinking about leaving the sleds at home. Guys getting around well enough with a truck outside the bay?

just got back from there.....we never had a problem in truck...

lromanchuk
03-03-2019, 11:12 AM
just got back from there.....we never had a problem in truck...

How was the fishin?

Skabulon
03-03-2019, 04:41 PM
How was the fishin?

Curious as well, I am heading out there with my Dad on Tuesday, never been to Cold Lake before. I convinced him he might be able to catch a Walleye there haha, I'm not holding my breath on that though. Will the snow be manageable for a couple of Jeeps to get around? I'm hoping we can get out to the hump.

-JR-
03-03-2019, 05:00 PM
And how thick was the ice ?

nuke29
03-03-2019, 06:29 PM
And how thick was the ice ?

4 guys 3 fish. Fished 2 days. Ran into the FW boys they said fishing was slow.
About 20 inches of ice. Lakers were not aggressive. The ones we caught were right off bottom. Hope that helps. Good luck

lromanchuk
03-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Fishing was slow. Lots of marks, but couldn't get them to bite. Landed a few but defiantly a grind out there.

lromanchuk
03-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Hows the snow up there with this warm weather?

lfv2004
03-12-2019, 09:09 PM

That's amazing man!

lromanchuk
03-17-2019, 07:50 AM
Hows the driving conditions on the lake with the warm weather? Any flood water?

pikeslayer22
03-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Was up on Friday capoulddrive anywhere on the lake

2alarmfishing
03-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Yes you could drive anywhere on the lake however breaking trail could be a challenge in the dark. Dodge the drifts. Fished Friday and Saturday fish were very lethargic and lazy. No aggression on the vexilar. Lots coming in and chasing to maybe 8 feet. Then U turn back down. Caught three all weekend. All in the morning.

gazin16
03-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Hows the ice holding up with all the warm weather?

Mackinaw
03-18-2019, 09:45 PM
fair bit of water at the boat ramp

mack

pikehunter1989
03-19-2019, 07:48 AM
I’m curious too how conditions are looking? I’m thinking about heading up this Friday for the day. No quad or sled so would be driving on with my truck

swampy45
03-19-2019, 09:51 AM
I’m curious too how conditions are looking? I’m thinking about heading up this Friday for the day. No quad or sled so would be driving on with my truck

I’m heading up tomorrow, same situation. I’ll let you know. Taking my pull sled just in case. Don’t mind walking a few km’s when it’s 15*C outside.

swampy45
03-19-2019, 05:12 PM
If anyone has any updates on the snow/ice, it would be greatly appreciated! I will report back tomorrow after I arrive as well.

Mackinaw
03-19-2019, 06:04 PM
ice is still good but 4 wheel drive is needed at ramp.

mack

pikehunter1989
03-21-2019, 07:43 AM
If anyone has any updates on the snow/ice, it would be greatly appreciated! I will report back tomorrow after I arrive as well.

How was the fishing and what’s the conditions looking like?

swampy45
03-21-2019, 05:35 PM
How was the fishing and what’s the conditions looking like?

Fishing was very slow, none landed today. Fish were lethargic, not chasing. It’s getting messy out there. Almost no snow left, LOTS of water on the ice.

pikehunter1989
03-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Fishing was very slow, none landed today. Fish were lethargic, not chasing. It’s getting messy out there. Almost no snow left, LOTS of water on the ice.

Did you drive on?

boonedocks
03-21-2019, 11:41 PM
No snow left? I’ve got the skidoos on the trailer, although, we could switch to the quads in no time. I’m calling bull****, and I’ll let let you guys know tomorrow afternoon.
G

58thecat
03-22-2019, 06:04 AM
Well I was not on the lake but on other bodies of water ripping around on the quad and there was some hard spots, slush and then bam break through a foot of soft ice/water so that being said I would pull a trailer behind a quad or walk out unless you like the truck stuck and getting a work out....just saying...enjoy the fishing.

swampy45
03-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Did you drive on?

I did. Lots of trucks out. Won’t be long and driving on won’t be an option if it stays this warm.

swampy45
03-22-2019, 07:49 AM
No snow left? I’ve got the skidoos on the trailer, although, we could switch to the quads in no time. I’m calling bull****, and I’ll let let you guys know tomorrow afternoon.
G

Having fun blasting through 6” of water and frozen slush.

lromanchuk
03-22-2019, 08:09 AM
G

The bays are almost all water now, but the main lake has plenty of snow for your sleds. You won't have an issue. But you will get wet.

lromanchuk
03-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Fishing was pretty slow for the most part over the last 2 days. Pretty much been the same story for me all season at cold lake this year. But we did manage to get hot for the last hour of day 1 and the first hour of day 2. Landed 7 in that time frame. 2 keeper sized. 76 cm and 88cm. Both were released.

58thecat
03-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Now that's a beauty fish and pic too.

pikehunter1989
03-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Just got back from cold lake. Had a slow day that was decent in spurts. Landed 6 and missed or lost another 6 probably between 2 of us. I was very surprised how well the ice is holding up. Driving out it was still crusty and coming off there was some slush but nothing major. Beyond this weekend and it might be a different story though. Our best luck was out in 175 ft of water

boonedocks
03-23-2019, 03:17 PM
Fishing is slow, we’ve landed 6 so far today but the evening should pick
Up, lost quite a few a missed a few all together. Lots of trucks on ice but it’s getting slushy, no problem getting around with quad or skidoo.

jkbloom
03-23-2019, 04:33 PM
I was out today as well, landed 15 Lakers, 18 pounds was the biggest, the bite was really good in the morning, went east down the lake, I will be out tomorrow as well

Teamprotz
03-23-2019, 04:35 PM
I’m jealous ! Hate being on call !

Mackinaw
03-23-2019, 09:57 PM
was out today landed 6 all on T.C. Moto tubes lost 3 nothing over but nice fish took truck and trailer drove all over will head out again tomorrow.

mack

pikeman06
03-23-2019, 10:44 PM
Great trout there "chuk". Make all us sorry buggers at work slogging around in the mud burning up the last few days of the season on tasks that take ten times longer than they normally would., wanna tell someone what they can go to work on and how to go about it. Thanks for sharing.

Mackinaw
03-24-2019, 08:15 PM
fishing was not the best today couple small ones lots of chasers but no bitters easy to travel on the lake this morning took truck and trailer to hump to try. one more week and its another season done.

mack

swampy45
03-27-2019, 10:39 AM
How’s the ice holding up? Heading up on Saturday, hoping to drive on. Any info is appreciated.

gr8tbigkid
03-27-2019, 05:39 PM
:thinking-006:i wana go Saturday to but long drive from calgary tho hows it holding up??:fighting0074:

Mackinaw
03-27-2019, 08:24 PM
im in ed right now but according to wife weather has been cool so should be no problem i know i will be out

mack

swampy45
03-27-2019, 09:06 PM
maybe we'll see you out there Mackinaw!

Penner
03-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Ice is really starting to soften up and is losing strength daily.

Mackinaw
03-29-2019, 08:04 PM
just got back to Cold Lake I went for a drive on the ice still okay just a Fair sized hole at the ramp

mack

Mackinaw
03-29-2019, 09:48 PM
just got back to Cold Lake I went for a drive on the ice still okay just a Fair sized hole at the ramp

mack

was just talking to a couple guys they said marina ramp was way worse then PP

MACK

swampy45
03-30-2019, 04:50 AM
Thanks Mack! Two hours out right now! See ya on the lake!

Mackinaw
03-31-2019, 10:01 PM
last day on the lake today ramp was a mess took the quad today not to bad going out tipped it going in got a little wet but at least it was at days end. not to many out today picked up a few lakers but no keepers time to put the ice gear away and get the open water gear out.

mack