PDA

View Full Version : Backyard rinks

alpinebeers
01-03-2019, 03:09 PM
Anybody build one this year? Let see some pictures if you have !! We got ours finished up on the 21st of Dec. Kids have been going non stop on it since.

Jamie
01-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Anybody build one this year? Let see some pictures if you have !! We got ours finished up on the 21st of Dec. Kids have been going non stop on it since.

Nice touch! How do you resurface?

barbless
01-03-2019, 05:16 PM

That's an awesome setup. What size? Looks great for the kids for playing 3 on 3 hockey :sHa_shakeshout:I actually still have the one we bought put together quite a few years ago for my son and his friends. He's too big now. Used 3 years. It can be set up about 20 x 36. If you know anyone that can use it they can have it. Has small tube sides to hold liner in place.

barbless
01-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Sorry no pics. But it's packed in the original

Bigwoodsman
01-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Sweet looking rink. Did you make a hand zamboni to flood it?

BW

Trochu
01-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Nice rink!

Looks like you were getting desperate for lumber though, I can fire you off a piece of plywood if you want.

Jamie
01-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Nice rink!

Looks like you were getting desperate for lumber though, I can fire you off a piece of plywood if you want.

Could be worse.. That just looks like some sort of Blue Mold... I can come up with something that reminds me of used oats from a Bull...

barbless
01-03-2019, 07:40 PM
AndrewM you have to clear out a message or two to get my last pm

RandyBoBandy
01-03-2019, 08:29 PM

Sweet looking rink!! Well done and excellent for some outdoor activity :)

roper1
01-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Lifelong memories for the whole family right there!!

happy honker
01-03-2019, 09:24 PM
I do our community rink. No boards, just freeze the snow at the edges.
Legally we have to put up a sign that says no sticks or pucks allowed, but it's never been enforced.
It's awesome when the kids and I get out there, but even better after spending a few hours working on it, then driving by the next day and see a parent and a couple of little ones learning to skate.

Jamie
01-03-2019, 09:54 PM
I do our community rink. No boards, just freeze the snow at the edges.
Legally we have to put up a sign that says no sticks or pucks allowed, but it's never been enforced.
It's awesome when the kids and I get out there, but even better after spending a few hours working on it, then driving by the next day and see a parent and a couple of little ones learning to skate.

For your's and others hardworking I thank you.
Willy went Skiing last week up at Banff, Came home ate 6.5 pounds of butter Chicken and then went and played Outdoor Hockey till 1 AM. It gives the kids something to do. Great job!!!

happy honker
01-03-2019, 10:04 PM
I've been wanting to do a backyard rink for years, so I'm a bit jealous. Every fall when I start scheming about it my wife reminds me that the community hall is right down the road and the water there won't show up on our bill!

Roderek
01-04-2019, 09:32 AM
I haven't made one for years, once the kids got older the surface was too small. My yard was pretty sloped, so I had a shallow end and a deep end. The shallow end had about 5" of ice, the deep end had about 4 feet.

alpinebeers
01-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Nice touch! How do you resurface?

I use hot water, upsets the wife as I haul the hose through the house to the laundry room but its the easiest option i've found over the years.

alpinebeers
01-04-2019, 09:41 AM
That's an awesome setup. What size? Looks great for the kids for playing 3 on 3 hockey :sHa_shakeshout:I actually still have the one we bought put together quite a few years ago for my son and his friends. He's too big now. Used 3 years. It can be set up about 20 x 36. If you know anyone that can use it they can have it. Has small tube sides to hold liner in place.

Its 42x20, perfect size for my guys right now (2 7 year olds) and the kids around the neighborhood. They've had 10 kids out there playing with two full goalies and had a blast. I find I forget how small of a space you need to have fun as a kid. Next year I plan to relocate it and add an extra 10 feet of length and 5 feet of width and it should last them a few more years I hope.

alpinebeers
01-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Nice rink!

Ahhhh how great it is to cheer for one of the best teams in the league :sHa_shakeshout:

Its been a long time since I could proudly display that beautiful logo !!!

Reddin
01-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Dean2
01-04-2019, 09:48 AM
The house I bought had a paved rink area, full NHL size rink, with permanent lights on poles. Real nice setup for a backyard rink. I used the asphalt base to build a garage on and still have room to park a boat and a couple of utility trailers on the pad, since I don't have kids who would use it.

happy honker
01-04-2019, 09:52 AM
I haven't made one for years, once the kids got older the surface was too small. My yard was pretty sloped, so I had a shallow end and a deep end. The shallow end had about 5" of ice, the deep end had about 4 feet.

Wow. Good job, thats a lot of slope. Our rink has a bit of slope and it takes a lot of work early on to make it right, but 4 feet! Good job bud, that's dedication!

alpinebeers
01-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Now that's a great set up !!

Are the posts there permanently? Did you just paint your boards?

Reddin
01-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Now that's a great set up !!

Are the posts there permanently? Did you just paint your boards?

4" square tube buried in ground. I have covers on them and dig out a couple inches of grass every fall. Puck board on plywood.

sharpstick
01-04-2019, 11:43 AM
We flooded the sport court this winter. 30X60. It survived the mild weather before Xmas but its taking a beating now. hopefully it cools off a bit so the kids can get back out there.
Great rinks guys.

yz295
01-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Awesome rinks guys. Glad to see there are still some kids that go outside rather than sit and play video games all day.

Bigwoodsman
01-04-2019, 01:39 PM
I use hot water, upsets the wife as I haul the hose through the house to the laundry room but its the easiest option i've found over the years.

When I built our, I just used the outside hose bib to flood the rink. I had made a 5ft wide hand zamboni that was attached to the hose and drug across the rink. Gave it a nice finish.

Check youtube for backyard zamboni's there are lots of ideas.

I took 3/4 or 1 inch grey plastic 10 foot pipe. Cut it in half. Put a hose adapter on the end of one of the 5ft lengths. Cut the other 5ft length in half and splice the two pieces together with a T and add the pipe with the hose adapter. On the two short pieces that were spliced to the T drill 1/4 inch holes evenly spaced along the top side and cap the ends. I added an old towel as a drag to the bottom piece(holes).

Hook to a garden hose and slowly walk the rink and place a uniform film of water on the ice. Worked good for building ice and leveling as well.

BW

alpinebeers
01-04-2019, 02:18 PM
When I built our, I just used the outside hose bib to flood the rink. I had made a 5ft wide hand zamboni that was attached to the hose and drug across the rink. Gave it a nice finish.

Check youtube for backyard zamboni's there are lots of ideas.

I took 3/4 or 1 inch grey plastic 10 foot pipe. Cut it in half. Put a hose adapter on the end of one of the 5ft lengths. Cut the other 5ft length in half and splice the two pieces together with a T and add the pipe with the hose adapter. On the two short pieces that were spliced to the T drill 1/4 inch holes evenly spaced along the top side and cap the ends. I added an old towel as a drag to the bottom piece(holes).

Hook to a garden hose and slowly walk the rink and place a uniform film of water on the ice. Worked good for building ice and leveling as well.

BW

I did something similar to this last year and it did work quite well. I got sick of having to unthaw the outside faucet though so I just went the hot water route. I can usually have it flooded in the amount of time my set up from last would take just to get ready

walker1
01-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Great rinks fellas! I had one for 3 years for my boys. They are now 12 and 15 and play hockey in Calgary for Bow Valley.
They learned to skate on the backyard !!
Mine had a lot of slope too. Just got to small.
For flooding, I took the hose bib the builder installed off and found a hydrant hose bib at HD that required being installed at a 15 degree slope inwards to keep it from freezing. it was a foot long and most of the pipe was in the furnace room and it worked flawless.

Still had to take the hose in the house every night....... wife frowns..... the fun buster!!!!!

Roderek
01-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Hot water is key, I made one of the hand zambonies out of pipe as well, but I only used that for a few weeks. The rink was small and I found it quite relaxing and fulfilling to just use the hose and go slowly across the whole surface. The hot water melts any little bumps and also gives the water time to spread out evenly before it freezes. Just make sure the hose is only an inch or 2 max above the ice surface.

Also don't flood if it is going to be warmer then -5 you end up with brittle ice.

Stinky Buffalo
01-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Built a tiny one in our back yard for a few years in a row. Like Roderek, my yard was a bit sloped, but not quite as much! Thickness varied from 10" to 5".

Kids had a blast on it, and it allowed us to give the little ones time to warm up etc. when required. Also wasn't a huge production to get the kids some ice time for a few minutes in an evening.

Jamie
01-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Great rinks fellas! I had one for 3 years for my boys. They are now 12 and 15 and play hockey in Calgary for Bow Valley.
They learned to skate on the backyard !!
Mine had a lot of slope too. Just got to small.
For flooding, I took the hose bib the builder installed off and found a hydrant hose bib at HD that required being installed at a 15 degree slope inwards to keep it from freezing. it was a foot long and most of the pipe was in the furnace room and it worked flawless.

Still had to take the hose in the house every night....... wife frowns..... the fun buster!!!!!

Is your Oldest in Midget?
I wonder if we play against you guys?
We are Southside Midget 4 and just got moved into a slightly different division.

barbless
01-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Wow where's the clock and penalty box? That's a beauty for sure :sHa_shakeshout:

barbless
01-04-2019, 07:21 PM
When they were young enough and a few kids at a time (3 on 3) on there, they get to know how to use their edges, handle a puck by being creative and keep their heads up. I had to put up a 10' x 10' back stop (both ends) so they could practice their shots and play. Still lost lots of pucks. Had 2-500 watt work lights to light up the night for night games. Kids played and all parents had fun (inside with full view). I also coached most of these kids for hockey and did learn to skate, Hockey and skating skills from 4 and up. Power skate was on full ice. 15 yrs. of total enjoyment. Get out and volunteer people
You people have some awesome setups. Totally the best

walker1
01-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Is your Oldest in Midget?
I wonder if we play against you guys?
We are Southside Midget 4 and just got moved into a slightly different division.

He now plays Midget Rec but maybe they did. My guys were always div. 2-5.
youngest is peewee 3 with BV