PDA

View Full Version : need protection for coyote attacks on dogs?

Sundancefisher
01-04-2019, 09:13 AM
This looks cute.

https://www.coyotevest.com/

Smoky buck
01-04-2019, 09:36 AM
The things you can sell people if you can play on their emotions

ghostguy6
01-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Since its body armour does it fall under the category of sporting use or does it need to be registered and permitted for a small fee?:rolleyes:

I cant believe the things people come up with.

EZM
01-04-2019, 10:18 AM
I seriously am never surprised at what products are sold on the internet.

I doubt this would do very much to save little fluffy if the coyote decided he needed a snack.

elkhunter11
01-04-2019, 10:19 AM
The first thing that a coyote will do, is hamstring the dog.

Scott N
01-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Needs a ma deuce on top.

Glion
01-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Wonder what their wolf and cougar versions look like

Sundancefisher
01-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Heard the modus operandi in Fish Creek and Nose Hill parks is the coyote runs up and grabs the dog by the back or scruff of the neck when on lease or on heel or one lures the dog away by running up and running away and another coyote nearby help dispatch the dog.

Not sure I want to test it however it does seem to have a feasibility component to it.

My preference would be to have a few people walking small dogs on long leases and a person with a rifle following. Any coyotes not running away get shot. A bullet is cheaper than everyone buying punk dog armor IMHO

Sundancefisher
01-04-2019, 10:28 AM

https://images.glaciermedia.ca/polopoly_fs/1.78783.1361564777!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_804/xlb118-222-2013-192248-high-jpg.jpg

Trochu
01-04-2019, 10:28 AM
My preference would be to have fewer small dogs.

I agree! :lol:

Sundancefisher
01-04-2019, 10:30 AM

or this?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0246/6997/products/gunmetaljacketback_2048x2048.jpg?v=1395971809

jstubbs
01-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Yep, which is why it’s surprising it doesn’t have any even naterial over the back thigh area.

Honestly though? This probably could save a small dogs life with the good neck protection but lord does it look goody.

If it were me, I’d want it in all black, then I’d sew on a few Megadeth and Panterra patches and tell people my dog is just a metal head.

CaberTosser
01-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Didn’t PT Barnum do an online review of this product?.

1899b
01-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Who was that old European dude a few years ago that would run around with that dog box on his 1/2 ton and would stop when he saw a coyote in a field and let his dogs loose on them? CFRN did a piece on him and this was deemed illegal shortly thereafter....

Off topic I know but this triggered a memory of that for some reason lol

Glion
01-04-2019, 11:09 AM
or this?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0246/6997/products/gunmetaljacketback_2048x2048.jpg?v=1395971809

Not my version of purty. Is that meant to repel or attract cougars btw?

EZM
01-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Heard the modus operandi in Fish Creek and Nose Hill parks is the coyote runs up and grabs the dog by the back or scruff of the neck when on lease or on heel or one lures the dog away by running up and running away and another coyote nearby help dispatch the dog.

That is a documented and very well known tactic used by coyotes in packs. It seems coyotes have evolved from some 25-30 years ago where seeing and reporting seeing a pack of coyotes would get you laughed out of the local coffee shop - today - coyotes run in pack in many areas and evolved to hunt in packs.

Many small dogs and cats have been taken over the last 5-10 years in my area.

Look at last year, 2 larger (>100lb dogs) taken last year here along the river valley were torn up by a pack in the woods just out of sight of the owner after their "big tough" dog chased a lone little weak coyote into the bush.

The 120lb dog taken in McKenzie Ravine here in Parkview/Crestwood was off leash when a small coyote came and was yipping at the ladies male dog who was off leash. Not sure if it was a bitch enticing him to mate, or a smaller coyote trying aggravate and lure him, but the tactic worked.

He went off to follow her and within a minute and less than 50 yards from the pathway he was attacked, hamstrung and the coyotes started to "push" him deeper into the woods attacking him from a direction away from the main path and her owner.

She was yelling for help and scrambling towards her dog only to come upon him as they were stretching his intestines out his rear end in 4 different directions as another 2 coyotes were on his muzzle and neck holding her big (now suffering) dog down.

The trauma the dog (and her owner) must have felt seeing this.

I can't help but to wonder, how big was this lady? probably not much larger than her dog and I'd offer maybe not quite as hard of a target to take down.

It's my contention that the boldness of the coyotes here is a problem.

I see coyotes trotting along in the neighborhood all the time. I watched 3 cross the road together on Christmas eve and enter the park after dark.

I also see 40-50lb grade school kids sitting at the bus stop, all alone, with their back to the woods 20 feet behind them.

It seems the city and fish and wildlife, although active in this neighborhood trying to deal with this issue, are having little success in establishing a permanent resolution to this issue.

Grizzly Adams
01-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Honestly, I'd be carrying a can of bear spray. Legal for that purpose. Coyote get's sprayed a couple of times, he won't be back

Grizz

Jayhad
01-04-2019, 11:31 AM
I have no problem with coyotes protecting their land from these invading canines.... simple solution, if you are going to own a dog own a dog (ie larger than a yote), not a rat in dogs clothing

JReed
01-04-2019, 11:34 AM
I seriously am never surprised at what products are sold on the internet.

I doubt this would do very much to save little fluffy if the coyote decided he needed a snack.

I'm always surprised by some of the stuff sharks invest in on Shark Tank, and they won't invest unless the product has good sales. Sheeple will definitely buy something this rediculous

HighlandHeart
01-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Cool looking vests, but a 30 inch long piece of hockey stick with a 3 inch nail poking out of the business end like a hakapik would do a better job in deterring an attack for a lower cost.

ghostguy6
01-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Not my version of purty. Is that meant to repel or attract cougars btw?

It attracts the feral ones but keeps the domesticated ones away:sHa_sarcasticlol:

fishtank
01-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Real dogs dont need protection.. they offer it:sHa_shakeshout:

huntsfurfish
01-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Easy one:

One of many versions of the

Tkachuk shell

Norwest Alta
01-04-2019, 01:13 PM
My dog had a set to with a coyote last year. The coyote was quite a bit more agile and could corner easier. Seemed like my dog a full tilt run needed forty acres to turn around where the coyote did it in two lengths of itself. Anyways after the big chase a both were tuckered I shot the coyote. I figure shooting the coyotes is good dog protection. The dog also had a run in with a fox this winter. I don't know if she killed the fox or not but she come home with a bite on her nose.

mclean
01-04-2019, 02:51 PM
I have a dog and have walked in the river valley in Lethbridge for the last 40 years and have had meetings with coyotes and not one problem, But my dog will not chase and always will stay with me , my dog is a 40 lb. dog . Most of the dog , coyote encounters seem to happen when the dog does chase the coyotes and in my mind the coyote is defending itself.

EZM
01-04-2019, 03:04 PM
I have no problem with coyotes protecting their land from these invading canines.... simple solution, if you are going to own a dog own a dog (ie larger than a yote), not a rat in dogs clothing

One of the other dogs shredded by a pack of coyotes last year in February was a 110lb Burmese Hunting dog ...... but no match for a pack of coyotes.

One on one a 40-50 lb dog is probably OK (a coyote is too smart to take his chances) but a pack can bring down a much larger dog with relative ease.

The other dog was a big Rottweiler something cross and was 120 lbs (a huge dog) if I recall correctly.

They need a 55 grain pill to get them to respect and share the space. I enjoy sharing the river valley with them and watching them - they just need to reciprocate and stop acting like fearless thugs.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=410006

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/coyote-encounters-edmonton-1.4684072

Stinky Buffalo
01-04-2019, 03:35 PM
I used to not be as concerned about them in urban areas as much in the past - until my boys were in grade school, and two coyotes followed them into the schoolyard on their way to school. A teacher had to run them off, and even then, they took a fair amount of persuasion to leave.

A teacher recently told me of a coyote hanging around her inner city school as well - showed no fear, walking within meters of the schoolchildren and teachers.

Jack Hardin
01-04-2019, 03:44 PM
We have a neighbour who is a veterinarian and his large dog, not sure of the breed but you could throw a saddle on him, wears a spiked collar as he said a coyote goes for the throat.

elkhunter11
01-04-2019, 04:42 PM

It doesn't matter how big, or how tough your dog is when a pack of four or five coyotes attacks. While running my dog , I have had two incidents where four and then five coyotes surrounded us, and closed in. The first time , one coyote managed to nip my dogs back leg, while I tried to fend off another coyote. The second time, I was prepared for them, and blood was shed, but it was coyote blood. I have killed five coyotes hunting them just outside city limits, and three more while running my dog in the same area. Now they tend to run when they see us. But they still hang around the houses in my subdivision during the night, and I still see posters advertising missing cats.

HunterDave
01-04-2019, 05:07 PM
If a coyote will kill and eat a porcupine I highly doubt that a fancy looking doggie vest is going to save a dog.......lol.

Grizzly Adams
01-04-2019, 08:55 PM
If a coyote will kill and eat a porcupine I highly doubt that a fancy looking doggie vest is going to save a dog.......lol.

Coyotes have that Killer instinct most dogs lack.

Grizz

CaberTosser
01-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Coyotes have that Killer instinct most dogs lack.

Grizz

Take away their kibble or whatnot and it will come around, just the same as with humans.

fordtruckin
01-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Hmmm doesn’t seem to be much underbelly protection...0

buckbrush
01-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Take away their kibble or whatnot and it will come around, just the same as with humans.

Very true! Just had 3 kids come out of the basement scavenging for food, momma didn't make enough popcorn for the sleepover.

Dog protection has been around for a long time just look at hog hunting dogs. Strike vests and cut collars.
Amazing people will buy these ones though.

CaberTosser
01-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Very true! Just had 3 kids come out of the basement scavenging for food, momma didn't make enough popcorn for the sleepover.

Dog protection has been around for a long time just look at hog hunting dogs. Strike vests and cut collars.
Amazing people will buy these ones though.

What do you use for protection against ravenous children?

Safety in numbers and use Momma as a human shield?

buckbrush
01-04-2019, 11:00 PM

Make yourself as big as possible,calm voice. If they attack, play dead. Do not try to run or climb...they can run and climb faster than you can.

Grizzly Adams
01-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Looking at some of my fellow humans, they'd be sheep led to slaughter. :lol:

Grizz

EZM
01-05-2019, 12:24 PM

A good strategy can be standing your ground then, without warning, attacking the largest, biggest kid with a lightning fast, violent attack rending the pack leader incapacitated ...... children in packs can be dangerous, but their minds are still weak and can easily be intimidated in disciplined submission.

Having a hidden wooden spoon tucked into your sock, or one of them quick release buckle belts can be a life saver.

The key is to attack quickly, without warning and with extreme violence.

Worked on us growing up. Ask my grade 3 teacher.

58thecat
01-05-2019, 02:04 PM
A good strategy can be standing your ground then, without warning, attacking the largest, biggest kid with a lightning fast, violent attack rending the pack leader incapacitated ...... children in packs can be dangerous, but their minds are still weak and can easily be intimidated in disciplined submission.

Having a hidden wooden spoon tucked into your sock, or one of them quick release buckle belts can be a life saver.

The key is to attack quickly, without warning and with extreme violence.

Worked on us growing up. Ask my grade 3 teacher.

Yup had my head banged off another kids head....dam grade three teachers are quick to respond to us little idiots and rightfully so.
Sets order real quick.