PDA

View Full Version : Caven Lake

Marty S
01-05-2019, 01:26 AM
What's th skinny on Caven Lake? Always meant to fish it, just never got to it. Where do I go once I get to the lake? Are there any size to the fish or just typical 12" Alberta Rainbows?

I sure miss the good ole days 30 years ago when the put and take lakes received significant stocking and 3-6 lb Rainbows were in abundance due to th superior management of the day. What would it take to return to the stocking rates of yesteryear? Sure worked good. Even 10 lb Rainbows in the stocked lakes of the day without all the C&R religion.

Surely nobody is offended with such bluntness? Yes blunt, but yes true.

goldscud
01-07-2019, 01:06 PM
I wonder if there was a lot less people around 30 years ago...

madatter
01-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Lake is just about empty.....wouldnt be shocked if it winterkills this year....if fish are even still alive...

erkel1
01-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Lake is just about empty.....wouldnt be shocked if it winterkills this year....if fish are even still alive...

Dont really know the deal with this lake. Was told the landowner had federal water rights so could drain the lake down as much as he wants.Pure speculation, but if true it is a shame as they stock it and things are good for a few years then it gets drained down and back to square one.

madatter
01-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Dont really know the deal with this lake. Was told the landowner had federal water rights so could drain the lake down as much as he wants.Pure speculation, but if true it is a shame as they stock it and things are good for a few years then it gets drained down and back to square one.

They can take as much water as there is in lake,its what it was made for.
Without alot of runoff from snow or heavy rains the lake just gets empty.
Always been that way.