PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan Fishing Suggestions

sellingforaliving
01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
I have done a bunch of looking for fishing spots in Northern Saskatchewan and my head is hurting...

Hoping that somebody has been up that way and has some first hand experience that they are willing to share.

We are not expert fishers but have done a decent amount of fishing so we could be called "experienced rookies". We enjoy fishing so don't need a trophy size fish to have a good time. Would rather catch more smaller fish than one large one.

- Would like to have a drive-in lodge / cabin
- Would like to have a guide for a day or at least somebody to give us pointed in the right direction
- Willing to drive up to 10 hours from Edmonton
- Will need to rent a boat
- Species doesn't matter but we have had our best luck with Pike and Walleye
- OK with meals being provided or not
- Will be the last week of June for 4 - 5 days
- Father and son trip (son is 18)
- Need a lake that is easy to fish - if it takes a expert to fish it then it likely isn't for us
- Somewhere we can fish even if the weather isn't great
- Don't need a lot of amenities - a roof over our head and a warm shower
- Somewhere that is patient with "newerbies"

I know a long list of "requirements" but hoping somebody else has been through this before and can share their experience - good or bad.

Thanks for your help.

RACKER
01-06-2019, 08:13 PM
I recommend Mirond lake.We have stayed at silence of the north lodge for 8 yrs.The lodge has basic cabins that are clean and comfortable with a nice shower house.The fishing is always great for pike and walleye with alot of areas to have shore lunch.You can navigate the lake fairly easy and you can catch fish in some calm bays very close to the lodge.You can drive right up to your cabin and you maybe have to drive about 22 kms of gravel road.You dont really need a guide to find good areas to fish just a quick once over of the lake map with the owners.You will need to bring your own food,bedding and beverages.The lake only has people fishing so you wont have any boaters,jet skis etc-not that they are bad!There is also another lodge there as well thats called Newmart.Best of luck finding the right lake for the boys.

grouse_hunter
01-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Has anyone tried Cree lake?

Bigwoodsman
01-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Has anyone tried Cree lake?

Cree Lake is a good flyin only lake.

BW

Evan83
01-06-2019, 09:07 PM
http://www.threelakescamp.com/ at Jan Lake

Can't go wrong with these guys. Easy lake to find lots of walleye and pike almost every cast. It just depends if they have anything available for when you want to go.

Soab
01-06-2019, 10:22 PM
Went to besnard a few times as a kid, drove up to it and stayed in a cabin. Had a native guide "Willy" for couple days. Pike and walleye fishing was outstanding

58thecat
01-07-2019, 05:44 AM
Jan lake lodge.

Google it....you will not be disappointed....easy to fish....get adventurous and you can get to areas with more catching then fishing:)

Lodge, docks, boats and cabins are very well maintained and you can drive right to your door step.

Book now as it fills up quickly.

shawn
01-07-2019, 06:19 AM
Kamkota lodge on pine house lake has amazing walleye fishing. It’s a drive up to lodge with cabins or you could even bring a trailer if you wanted. They give you the option of hiring a guide or just renting boats personally I don’t think a guide is needed. I think it would check all your wants/needs however if you are looking for pike it’s not your best bet.

35 whelen
01-07-2019, 08:03 AM

BWNot what he's looking for and about 5,000 a week

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Bigwoodsman
01-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Not what he's looking for and about 5,000 a week

I know that's not what he is looking for. If you look at post 3 you will see I was responding the this post that suggested Cree Lake.

BW

grouse_hunter
01-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Not what he's looking for and about 5,000 a week

I asked the question. Thank you for the prompt response Bigwoodsman!

Drewski Canuck
01-08-2019, 08:27 PM
Just north of North Battleford in the bush on a good sand / gravel road. North of Goodsoil.

Lake is really big but the Bay at Tower Lodge end is as big as a lot of Alberta lakes and pretty sheltered.

Some really big Pike in there and some boomer walleye. T Bay is a run, but it is very worth it.

Lodge can host, cook, guide, rent boats, etc. Very good amenities for a remote undeveloped lake. It is a big lake though so be careful of the weather. You will not see shore in any direction on a number of places so GPS and Sat Radio or Spot if you decide to go exploring.

Drewski

sellingforaliving
01-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Thanks for your help. I have been doing some reading about Jan Lake. There is a fair bit of discussion about hidden rocks/reefs in the lake. We are not expert boat people but we are careful and don't need to be the fastest boat on the lake. I don't want the stress of navigating to ruin the de-stressing of the fishing. If it is just a matter of being careful then we are likely OK but if it takes a expert captain then we may need to look elsewhere. Thoughts?

lannie
01-09-2019, 09:25 AM

BW

You can also quad into Cree Lake.

Evan83
01-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your help. I have been doing some reading about Jan Lake. There is a fair bit of discussion about hidden rocks/reefs in the lake. We are not expert boat people but we are careful and don't need to be the fastest boat on the lake. I don't want the stress of navigating to ruin the de-stressing of the fishing. If it is just a matter of being careful then we are likely OK but if it takes a expert captain then we may need to look elsewhere. Thoughts?

There are a lot of rocks and reefs a guy has to look out for but if you aren't in a hurry they are pretty easy to avoid as well they will give you a map with most of the spots marked. You can also get a guide for the day and they could tour you around and show you areas to avoid.

dodgeboy1979
01-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Collins camp at Besnard is great, Tinkers Lodge at Buffalo narrows, Keeley lake lodge, south bay and tower lodge at Dore lake. all of these have great pike and walleye fishing and good accommodations with boat rental

struff55
01-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Great accommodations small cabins or large what ever suits your needs . If you go in June be prepaired to catch walleye in the 6-9 lb range and pike as large as 30lb . I have fished this lake for 20+ yrs and it’s my fave . I have also fished Tobin and diefenbaker still like dore best . Oh and I fish 2-3 days a week all summer long just saying . Enjoy your fishing

58thecat
01-10-2019, 01:10 AM

I have been up there many times and there are areas that have exposed or shallow rocky areas but with the map which you can be there and the area being well marked with buoys you will be ok. Only seen one lower leg torn off but when you jump on any water and not pay attention to depth, map etc you will eventually run out of luck.
Fishing is awesome there, amenities, staff too.

We always get a few pike mid to upper 40" range and walleye....not huge but many great eaters.

58thecat
01-10-2019, 01:13 AM
Collins camp at Besnard is great, Tinkers Lodge at Buffalo narrows, Keeley lake lodge, south bay and tower lodge at Dore lake. all of these have great pike and walleye fishing and good accommodations with boat rental

Yup a few more Great Lakes especially besnard, a little bit of a drive on gravel, sand road and on the lake you ha e to pay attention, 100 yards off shore and two feet or less water in some areas...lots of walleye and a hidden gem for big pike.

sellingforaliving
01-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Thanks to everybody who took time to respond. After considering all of our options we have decided to try Jan Lake Lodge towards the end of June. Will report back on our success then.

Chief16
01-13-2019, 08:20 PM
I stayed at Three Lakes Camp at Jan Lake before and you will have a blast! I was not guided per say, but was fishing with my buddy who used to guide there and it is a great lake!