PDA

View Full Version : Tough going this year

RACKER
01-07-2019, 09:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone else is finding this year a lot harder to catch fish more than most years. Was out to Pigeon on the weekend and made it out to my favourite spot that always produces catches and lots of fish on camera but only managed 7 wallys in 6 hrs. There was hardly any fish movement as well. Not sure if the wind had a factor either. Middle of the lake only had 9 in of good ice too. This isn’t the only lake I’ve been at this year that was slow. Just curious how everyone else’s luck has been.

SamSteele
01-07-2019, 09:53 AM
sns2 and I were out at Slave this past weekend and found it slow as well. Fish were there, just really picky. Those we caught were barely hooked. We ended up getting our fish, but it took us a while.

I've been up to Lower Chain north of Athabasca and found that fishing action was sporadic. Hot and heavy for 30 min or so, then quite for a couple hours, then hot again.

yoteblaster
01-07-2019, 10:00 AM
VERY slow for me as well. Fish very lethargic and numbers way down

HuyFishin
01-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Been to Coal, Lac La Nonne and Devils.

All slow for me..

my wife had better luck then me lol

TimboLefty
01-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Been out half a dozen times to 3 different lakes and have found it to be slow as well. Have talked to a few others on lakes who agree. Unsettled and unseasonable weather maybe to blame?

NSR_RAT
01-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Very slow for me as well, pretty much exclusively fished Wabamun and Lac st Anne and haven’t been seeing anything on the camera in multiple spots and depths, this is completely opposite of the last few years, and the ones I have been seeing on the camera are mostly lathargic and not interested.

PlayDoh
01-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Same for me in Southern AB. Maybe they’ll get active soon, or just later. The Pike don’t seem as lazy, but the eyes seem not very interested in doing much, and that’s when one gets out of bed and even swims around.

Not that I’ve been out dozens of times, but enough to notice the trend. We haven’t gotten much snow in the south, and the ice is decent and seems like it’s better than anything south of Edmonton. So I have no clue why.
Maybe it’s the baitfish? Maybe their calendar is off by a month? One would guess with warmer weather they would be more active. Yet perhaps there is more baitfish around, so they can afford to be picky? Like spring vs summer.

Mitchthefisher
01-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Worst year I've ever had on pigeon and im not the only one I know having bad luck.. barely seeing anything down the hole or on cameras, and not catching **** all either.

swampy45
01-07-2019, 12:41 PM
15 different lakes this winter... all been very slow fishing.

SNAPFisher
01-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Worst year I've ever had on pigeon and im not the only one I know having bad luck.. barely seeing anything down the hole or on cameras, and not catching **** all either.

I'll 2nd that on Pigeon. 8 trips yielded 4 whites. Biggest was 5.8 lbs so far. That is something but the fish per hour put in is way down and just seeing them is a treat now. I'm certain weather is the big factor.

Trips other than Pigeon have been fine though :)

capper
01-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Very slow for me. We did well on Sunday at Lac La Biche but that’s my first good day in 10 on the hard water.

Trout Addict
01-07-2019, 02:29 PM
I spent one day at Wabamun before Christmas, complete skunk which has never happened to me there and one day at Lac St. Anne and caught about 5 little pike.
Not wonderful for 9 hours of fishing, this thread makes me feel better about myself though

old dog
01-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Fished Travers, Newell and Keho in southern Alberta. Did have one or two good days but most were slow. Was at Newell this last weekend with my son and never had one bite. But the same day a friend caught a huge walleye.

linemanpete
01-07-2019, 04:37 PM
I out fished my jaw jacker 3 trips to long by Boyle. That’s rare for me. So I’d agree it’s been slow.

FlyTheory
01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Hit and miss with the days. There have been more slow days than fire ones though. And usually midday is nap time, f-all will happen for me from 11:30-2

swampy45
01-07-2019, 05:17 PM
I definitely agree with SNAP on the weather playing a huge factor. This winter has been been interesting to say the least.

pikeman06
01-07-2019, 06:56 PM
Yup hope that's all it is....the camera doesn't lie tho. I've been on my old whitefish and perch spots that I've been hitting religiously for over 20 years and its a ghost town down there guys. It's different if the fish are there but not biting we call that a challenge and figure them out eventually...not this year. I keep a journal from the old days and I did best when the ice was 20 inch to 2 ft regardless of what part of the winter it was. The only thing I haven't tried is what I call super shallow, like 3 ft or less and I hate fishing like that personally...slam a hook into their head and throw them in the pail all in one motion...not much story telling at the supper table. But the east and south wind days are more often than not and we haven't had a nice high pressure system park over us for a couple weeks so the fish can get into a pattern either. Good luck guys glad I'm not the only one scratching my head.

Brandonkop
01-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Depressingly slow this last week. Fished 5 lakes and mostly we couldnt even find fish to mark. Was some of the worst I've had over the years. We shall see if this next week is better. I've got my fingers crossed and hoping for some fish.

gube
01-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Depressingly slow this last week. Fished 5 lakes and mostly we couldnt even find fish to mark. Was some of the worst I've had over the years. We shall see if this next week is better. I've got my fingers crossed and hoping for some fish.

Were the 5 lakes you hit in Alberta?

calgarygringo
01-07-2019, 07:24 PM
We have been out pretty much ever weekend or 2 and have got decent catches and sizes every time. We probably do more work and driving than most to find spots but they do seem to pay us back well.

Brandonkop
01-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Were the 5 lakes you hit in Alberta?North of Edmonton.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Brandonkop
01-07-2019, 10:38 PM
North of Edmonton.

Sent from my SM-G960W using TapatalkThis was the product of our very poor week of fishing. You see some fish, but this was a struggle. I felt no understanding of pattern. Most lakes we would fish 3 to 5 locations. Depths of 5 to 30 feet. Right smack dab in the middle. I have a feeling these fish are either suspended or just laying on the bottom not moving in deep basins. If anyone finds them let me know deep or shallow. Thanks. Be safe out there. Ice is highly variable. Some lakes drilled 9 inch to 17 inch of ice.

Weird year.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/d6e05aa8e6798b7db362ea347bf00fb1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/f1ad4d97be3fb6760288f03b315adcc5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/b469bac77ef5e0f61bba817a8f6ccf11.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/9ef0b01cf83672bfda5920fd5e483793.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/4ddd80500c9f5420ee4822c9118a5201.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/f78dbe41609d026e2e7d474629ca6a10.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/3701cf6c24345810391b06a930b0294a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/cd2a6a332dad15b111e8cefbe9fad95b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/f97cf28de69702f95be6da3bb3051ec3.jpg

TimboLefty
01-08-2019, 06:48 AM
One other thing I have noticed is there seems to be way more people fishing now than say 5 years ago. I have also been fishing some lakes with zero pike retention and have seen a few people keeping pike. I have never been one to report others but I feel like maybe I should start. I think poaching is still an issue not that I feel that’s the reason fishing may be slower this year but it still burns my butt.

Woolyoldbugger
01-08-2019, 07:23 AM
Blaming everything but the real problem is the problem. Brandon you seem like a nice enough guy but look at all the fish you killed when they were the few fish available. We the fisher people are the problem. Like it or not! I can't believe the people in this province who still think the fish in a given body of water are endless. They are not. Yes you can kill a lake! Stocking is not the answer! Even proper fish handling results in a 10-15% mortality! Poaching is a very real problem. Any body who knows anything about Lesser Slave knows that the locals eat their limit then take a limit home. Sometimes returning to the lake a few times in the day to repeat the process. Then people who travel there have the Bc Salmon mentallity that " I travelled this far. Im taking home more than 2" Time to start looking at our selves and our practices and quit blaming the Gov or Bios!

338Bluff
01-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Blaming everything but the real problem is the problem. Brandon you seem like a nice enough guy but look at all the fish you killed when they were the few fish available. We the fisher people are the problem. Like it or not! I can't believe the people in this province who still think the fish in a given body of water are endless. They are not. Yes you can kill a lake! Stocking is not the answer! Even proper fish handling results in a 10-15% mortality! Poaching is a very real problem. Any body who knows anything about Lesser Slave knows that the locals eat their limit then take a limit home. Sometimes returning to the lake a few times in the day to repeat the process. Then people who travel there have the Bc Salmon mentallity that " I travelled this far. Im taking home more than 2" Time to start looking at our selves and our practices and quit blaming the Gov or Bios!
Most ill informed quote of 2019 right here folks. You haven't a clue about the guy you are accusing.

338Bluff
01-08-2019, 07:30 AM
Fish are not biting and its largely due to unsettling weather and seasonality. Christmas through the early new year cam be slow for most species except possibly trout or whitefish.

Mitchthefisher
01-08-2019, 08:07 AM
I'll 2nd that on Pigeon. 8 trips yielded 4 whites. Biggest was 5.8 lbs so far. That is something but the fish per hour put in is way down and just seeing them is a treat now. I'm certain weather is the big factor.

Trips other than Pigeon have been fine though :)

I'm thinking a lot of the older fish 6lbs+ that were on the lake the last little while are slowly dying off of natural causes and angling pressure does not help either. And this seems to be a problem because I have rarely seen any juvenile whites or any whites under 4lbs at that lake for that matter so they must be struggling to reproduce or something.
I've only had one day this year were I seen a **** load ( 20+) in under 3 hours one evening fish but the other 7 days ive fished pigeon I have been lucky to even see one or two.

RACKER
01-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Maybe you should not fish at all. You’re killing off 10-15 percent every time you go out. Picking on a great forum poster like Brandon is just stupidity on your part. You should just travel the lakes and spread your wealth of fish knowledge so we don’t kill off our fishery.

Woolyoldbugger
01-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Most ill informed quote of 2019 right here folks. You haven't a clue about the guy you are accusing.

You don't have a clue of who I am? Speaking of uninformed! First I 'm not bashing Brandon. I'm pointing out how he makes my point stating that the fishing has been terrible then taking as many as allowed Does this make sense to you? I don't know why I waste my time talking to people as ill informed as you!

Evil69
01-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Just my 2 Cents....:scared0018:

I can only gauge my observations on the 3 main lakes I fish regularly(Badger,Travers and McGregor) and have the past 5 years.

Walleye and Pike are rebounding rapidly in certain areas. Numbers are way up and size distribution is becoming more diverse with larger age classes showing with greater frequency. Whitefish are plentiful but with so much food available are down right frustrating most days, occasionally you find that moment where you can't keep em off but for most part they just are not interested in what you have to offer. Burbot might be in trouble, in McGregor at least. My catches have decreased significantly. I've never observed them to be plentiful but last year was the first time I was unable to find them in their regular spawn spots and this year is shaping up to be more of the same with over 50 hours of dedicated night time hours producing only 2 small under 12" and one 4-5#, all released. My fishing partner is an ex-Biologist so we talk about this alot. (I've also reached out to some Ab Gov't Biologist for more information) Trout catches for me have exploded in Mcgregor but that's primarily because I have targeted whites more and in shallower water. Also Since McG is the first reservoir from the bow it makes sense that there would be a larger population there.

It's called the Jauary lull for a reason. Fish ativity traditionally dcreases after the whitefish spawn until ling start well into their pre-spawn house keeping (beginning FEB )Weather is definitely playing it's part this season, Chinooks down here mess with fish activity big time so the last 3 chinooks have not helped. From someone who is pressure sensitive and suffers migraines I'm of the belief that if I can feel so can the fish and they change accordingly.

one thing of note that I've observed since using a underwater camera....Release practices need improvement as a whole big time. I find it utterly disgusting how 20% of the ice fishermen treat their catch. Leaving it flop on the ice, over handling then the final kick down the hole as if that ice is some magical barrier that absolves them of their responsibility to make sure that fish is recovered and swims away on its own. I see far too many dead fish laying on the bottom on weekends. Just my own little rant:argue2:

Our fisheries may or may not be in trouble depending on who you talk to but one thing is for sure they could be better. Blaming government needs to stop and we (sportsmen) need to take back control of our resources. How? I don't have the answers but one thing is for sure what we are doing is not working as well as it should. Civil discussion is required and needs to be based on science and data not mystical FIN's that nobody can explain.

So that's my input

and Brandon.....Keep up the good work! Your and excellent ambassador for the sport.

Woolyoldbugger
01-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Maybe you should not fish at all. You’re killing off 10-15 percent every time you go out. Picking on a great forum poster like Brandon is just stupidity on your part. You should just travel the lakes and spread your wealth of fish knowledge so we don’t kill off our fishery.

Again not picking on him just took an opportunity to make a valid point. I never realized Brandon had so many girlfriends here to defend him. Even when hes not being attacked!

Fishtracker
01-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Anyone else notice same thing on Chain Lake south of Calgary? Seems slower this year with exception of the suckers.

RACKER
01-08-2019, 06:11 PM
Again not picking on him just took an opportunity to make a valid point. I never realized Brandon had so many girlfriends here to defend him. Even when hes not being attacked!

Then why on earth would you single one person out to make your point?And the BC reference-come on who are you trying to kid.The point of going fishing is to catch fish and keep some if the limit is there.How do you know where person x you mentioned fished and "killed" so many that the particular lake is not doing well with numbers.I am defending all fisherman that enjoy taking home some fish that they worked hard to get.You seem to think that everyone thats out there takes their limit home every time they are out.Poachers and slobs ruin it for everyone.I didnt hear if you ever have kept any fish or even if you do fish.How about you give some positive suggestions on how we can make the fisheries better instead of negative comments that you seem to only come here with!PS I kept 2 fish for all of my 2018 season and I fished alot.My bad I killed 2 fish.

sns2
01-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Brandon, don't let any naysayers bug you. You are out there working hard, sharing your experiences with us, and helping others via pm. Your odd catch of perch isn't hurting anything. It's not as if you are setting nets. We appreciate your contributions greatly.

Talking moose
01-08-2019, 06:48 PM
I find January and early February to be the slowest fishing of the year.

Zip-in-Z
01-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Fishin will pick up next week .... the Super Full Moon will change things up and this thread will end up on page 3 or 4 and forgotten about with OldWooly, too.

Mr. Bkop ... like your post(s) & the great pic's.

Cheers

David

RACKER
01-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Fishin will pick up next week .... the Super Full Moon will change things up and this thread will end up on page 3 or 4 and forgotten about with OldWooly, too.

Mr. Bkop ... like your post(s) & the great pic's.

Cheers

David

I hope the moon works in our favour and the fish get hungry!the weather was ugly last Sat so hope it gets as nice out as your pics!Enjoy your time down south and thanks for checking in on our forum.Maybe one day I can catch whites like you or Snap!

Woolyoldbugger
01-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Wow ! Let me be the first to say Im sorry I offended you ladies!

Red Bullets
01-09-2019, 02:55 AM
Maybe a whitefishes eyesight gets too bad to see little wireworms when they become big old fish. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mitch mentioned the whites dying off as they get older. A lake white fish can live to 50 years but average lifespan can be from 12 to 20. Commercial fishing was stopped in 2014 so some of Alberta's big whites might have a few years left in them. I think their are going to be one or two record size whites to come out of Pigeon in 5 to 10 years.

This time of year also try going deep but fishing half way up or closer to the top. Aside from wire worms in lakes like Pigeon, where the whites are bigger, big whites do like one to two inch minnows too. In Pigeon the native minnows are the spottail shiner, emerald shiner, trout-perch and Iowa darter. Catch a few local minnows or imitate them with lures.

Fishin' Fool
01-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Wow ! Let me be the first to say Im sorry I offended you ladies!

So for how long does this goof get to insult members and start crap before mods get involved? Look at this guy's post history, he contributes nothing and likes to start conflict.

TimboLefty
01-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Don’t see anything mod worthy posted here by Woolly it’s his opinion, seems people here like to pick on him that’s what I see. People too sensitive here, I have seen people doing exactly like he says there seems to be a conception in Alberta that if you eat your limit or take it home you can go catch more.

bobtodrick
01-09-2019, 11:18 AM
So for how long does this goof get to insult members and start crap before mods get involved? Look at this guy's post history, he contributes nothing and likes to start conflict.

Yup...a troll if I've ever read one.

sns2
01-09-2019, 11:28 AM

There is a little red triangle on the upper right corner of every post. If the post breaks forum rules, click on the red triangle and report it. Real simple. The mods can't and don't read every post, but they do view every complaint. When complaints and infractions add up, problem members move out. It's real simple. Us members are the real backbone of the moderating process, and are responsible for making the forum what it is, good or bad.

sns2
01-09-2019, 11:30 AM

He doesn't have any girlfriends. He does have people who appreciate his helpful, and always positive input. No one appreciates a newcomer insulting people like you did. Not a good start, but I wonder if this really is your start on this forum. Most will understand.

FlyTheory
01-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Back on track from the bashing of Brandon.... what have people found successful when it’s been so slow? Honestly dead baits for pike and trout. Typically I like slender spoons for trout but they didn’t do anything for me thus far.

Woolyoldbugger
01-09-2019, 01:08 PM
This is the only forum I've ever been on where if your viewpoint is different than the committee selected norm, then you are attacked for having a view. your view isn't attacked but YOU are attacked. Oh yeah, I'm gonna stand up for myself. Nobody ever confronts me on the issue, they find something else in my post and then make that the new discussion. However it's not a discussion it is an assault. I'm not here to bash people I don't do it in the real world and I'm not here. I will however call it as I see it! If I was out to get Brandon as so many of you assume I could simply post some of the PM's I've received from others about Brandon. I actually have a subscription to his you tube. I've seen every video he has posted. I've cancelled it today because I called him on a comment he made about bonking fish in a Jaw Jacker thread. The very next video he released every trout he caught coincident ? I think not! In the mean time Brandon is a man, he can defend himself, all he has to do is PM me and we can discuss any topic he wishes. Until then my opinions are valid and if mods want to boot me for talking about the real issues and then having to defend myself that's their prerogative. If they choose not too and it offends you feel free to not read my posts!

1bowhunter12
01-09-2019, 01:49 PM
I am out on cold lake right now getting my ass kicked .. skunked as of 1:49pm..considering the bar lol

HuyFishin
01-09-2019, 02:06 PM
I am out on cold lake right now getting my ass kicked .. skunked as of 1:49pm..considering the bar lol

are you fishing with a flasher? what depth and which area?

RACKER
01-09-2019, 02:15 PM
I’m hoping this is the weekend where everyone has better luck. With colder temps and the wind backing down now maybe things will change for the better.

243plus
01-09-2019, 02:26 PM
This was the product of our very poor week of fishing. You see some fish, but this was a struggle. I felt no understanding of pattern. Most lakes we would fish 3 to 5 locations. Depths of 5 to 30 feet. Right smack dab in the middle. I have a feeling these fish are either suspended or just laying on the bottom not moving in deep basins. If anyone finds them let me know deep or shallow. Thanks. Be safe out there. Ice is highly variable. Some lakes drilled 9 inch to 17 inch of ice.

Nice sized perch. Were they the ones suspended or were the walleye and pike also? What time of day was this?

1bowhunter12
01-09-2019, 02:30 PM
are you fishing with a flasher? what depth and which area?

Yah I have a flasher ... lots of chasers ... changed hooks and presentation about 347 times ..just out in front of the ski hill ..

super mario
01-09-2019, 06:41 PM
I spend some time fishing lake Winnipeg Visiting for New Year with my Family One day fishing 8 hr I get 1 fish Burbot lol I talk to other anglers They told this winter is so Slow:mad3:

MooseRiverTrapper
01-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Perch has been OK

Brandonkop
01-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Had a slow day Tuesday, but things were looking up today lots of fish moving and coming through. Not sure it will last with the weather flip flopping again. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/11cf5530931ceae6522da929122f9e49.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/f77326edd31a5a94e82c23b79f93fb80.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/e063267a607d01767daa33cf1461fef7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/4b19e35588d66ff84a10f06dbda9a2f2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/66f5e519dbf0bd9ba8acb6008b53d377.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/3f5ba9b913bc6ae3e1894ec1186c141a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/6077e3a98e325db9da09fb41a77ac81f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190110/454536fd0d82f8d5c1345bb6fab3a04a.jpg

flyguyd
01-09-2019, 09:12 PM
No one appreciates a newcomer insulting people like you did. Not a good start, but I wonder if this really is your start on this forum. Most will understand.

Pretty sure woollyold is a ghost from the past. Seems to be a few of them raising their ugly heads lately :thinking-006:

sns2
01-09-2019, 09:20 PM
Pretty sure woollyold is a ghost from the past. Seems to be a few of them raising their ugly heads lately :thinking-006:

No doubt about it. Tyler Thomson????

HuyFishin
01-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Had a slow day Tuesday, but things were looking up today lots of fish moving and coming through. Not sure it will last with the weather flip flopping again.

Holy those are some nice fatty pike, this couldn't have been wabamun right? I only catch the big head skinny body ones

Brandonkop
01-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Holy those are some nice fatty pike, this couldn't have been wabamun right? I only catch the big head skinny body onesNo sorry not Wabamun.

Brandonkop
01-14-2019, 02:27 PM
It was a tough go on Friday quite cold. Judging by photos I think the fish activity is increasing and your odds off success will likely improve if you get out there now!

Thursday on a trout pond got a few perch. Friday slow for perch but some nicer size. Sunday on way home stopped outside of kamloops at dark and for 7 bows and the daughter got a brookie on the jigging jaw jacker.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/cbef8eb91b7631881081f0728e430c04.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/c394a18d76537f6354a9daa74a2855c9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/a55dec9ac223f82995c4c33ca1a55e78.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/ca5568f298bddfe3b174d60cee52d7ea.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/1b0ae78c0f327e949364afde991d1a8c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/2418d51aad53cd47a5fa339cb60b67c1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/68b368a676a74975c7651c0836395225.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/4f57782ee2bc6354949ccd2eb71a66bc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190114/d058632340a9cecf786494927cec9f1f.jpg