PDA

View Full Version : Need new quad, Yamaha or Honda?

Bushleague
01-07-2019, 03:43 PM
My old Foreman has started to nickel and dime me pretty hard these last few years so I've finally had enough and I'm looking around for a new quad. Not needing anything too fancy I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha Kodiak 450, and the Honda Rancher 420.

I don't ride recreationally very much any more and more or less just use my quad for plowing snow, getting fire wood, recovering the odd game animal, a little ice fishing, and misc acreage maintenance.

I know this should probably point me towards another Honda but I'm so sick and tired of changing seals on that rear axel every year, and still finding contamination has somehow gone through that solid rear end on those few occasion I took it for a boot in the bush :angry3:

Anyways, looking for opinions.

Jack fish hunter
01-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Can't go wrong with either

Justfishin73
01-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Honda, Honda, Honda

Spinner57
01-07-2019, 03:50 PM
Between those 2 I'd have to go with the Honda. If you're open to alternatives or suggestions I've had great luck with my polaris products over the years. The sportsman 570 is alot of machine for the money, and I think (?) They offer a 400/450.

MugEye
01-07-2019, 03:50 PM
What year and how many kilometres is your old quad ?Just to now what we’re talking about

Dweb
01-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Honda

Kurt505
01-07-2019, 04:39 PM
After owning a bunch of both it would be Yamaha without a second thought for me, grizzly 700 to be specific but the grizzly 500 is a nice machine comparable to the Kodiak 450.

TROLLER
01-07-2019, 04:40 PM
My old Foreman has started to nickel and dime me pretty hard these last few years so I've finally had enough and I'm looking around for a new quad. Not needing anything too fancy I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha Kodiak 450, and the Honda Rancher 420.

I don't ride recreationally very much any more and more or less just use my quad for plowing snow, getting fire wood, recovering the odd game animal, a little ice fishing, and misc acreage maintenance.

I know this should probably point me towards another Honda but I'm so sick and tired of changing seals on that rear axel every year, and still finding contamination has somehow gone through that solid rear end on those few occasion I took it for a boot in the bush :angry3:

Anyways, looking for opinions.

I have owned both and I plow a big driveway. With the Honda if you get the auto tranny you will hate plowing just way too much hassle going into reverse and that is something you do constantly plowing. I have used the Yamaha 450 for 12 yrs now and would not trade it for any other atv. Just make sure you get the front mount plow not the old push tubes. Way easier to put off and on.

CNP
01-07-2019, 05:25 PM
I have owned both and I plow a big driveway. With the Honda if you get the auto tranny you will hate plowing just way too much hassle going into reverse and that is something you do constantly plowing. I have used the Yamaha 450 for 12 yrs now and would not trade it for any other atv. Just make sure you get the front mount plow not the old push tubes. Way easier to put off and on.

Yamaha Grizzly shift interlock sucks going back and forth from drive to reverse to drive. I have a Grizzly and deleted the shift interlock. Pleasure to plow now:)

Bushleague
01-07-2019, 06:20 PM
To clarify, the quad I now have is a 2002 foreman 450 with about 10 000 km on it. I wasn't planning on getting any bells and whistles on either, just the base models. The way I see it the major benefits of the Honda are the pull start, low gearing, and the foot shift which I am a fan of. If I were to go with the Kodiak it would just be to get away from changing rear axle seals and bearings throughout the rest of the quad's life.

vic1
01-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Honda Rancher 420 had a problem with cold start. I don't know if they fix this problem with new models but mine 2010 will not start below -15C. Friend bought the same 2011 and had the same problems. Also it had to be kept very clean otherwise breaks and electric shift would freeze up.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Bought a 2004 Yamaha 350 Bruin new ----the first year they came out. Rode it for 12 years trouble free. Sold it for $3000.00. Bought a 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 after my ACE needed a new battery. Like all 3--no negatives

outofbounds
01-07-2019, 06:30 PM
For me it has been Honda. Mainly due to having remote cabins with boat only access I needed to be able to load them in a SSV-14 to take them up the rivers and down the lakes.

Have made the 6km trip once or twice with the 12 footer as well.

Those two bikes stay at the cabins. Change oil and tires is all they ever needed. Batteries on tenders when not used. 92 Four-Trax 350 and 98 400 Foreman.

I also have a 2002 Rubicon which I purchased new that now reads over 12k on the ticker with only needing the seat replaced as the father in-law left it out of the barn so the bears could have at it.

Heck my boys still bomb around on my old 200M trike now and then chicken hunting. Still fires first pull.

Never had issues with not enough bike whether pulling moose, elk or a load of birch firewood.

We don't bog 'em but we work them. Tools not toys.

lmtada
01-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Have old 350 rancher 4x4. Reliable old scoot. Only 2500 km so far. Not as comfy as old Polaris sportsman. But more reliable.