PDA

View Full Version : Canvas outfitter tents

6.5 shooter
01-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Hi, a friend of mine has two canvas outfitter tents he wants to sell (He is getting older so measurements may not be exact). They are both 14x16? ridge pole with 5' sides and 1' snow skirts (he hated bending over). Twenty four oz. ? canvas.

One is a sleeping tent with four cots, stove, a couple lanterns and a few other items. The other is a cook tent with stove and I am sure other goodies. The gentleman is fussy so the tents have never been put away wet and include all poles etc. and were used only 4 times.

I am looking for an honest price on the pair as I have never had one and have no idea what a used outfitters tent is worth on the market.

Thanks for your time. I know there are a lot of tents on the market but these will not be your Canadian tire specials, they will be a quality product.

Thanks again
Shooter

skidderman
01-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Depends entirely on condition. If it has any mold or rips or stains the value goes down. My son just bought a 14X16 like new c/w inside poles & a bunch of other stuff for $1000. See them advertised for lots more. Also who makes it is important Grizzly is made in China & worth much less.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-07-2019, 06:40 PM
$1000.00 is a reasonable price for each tent with internal frame. I have a 14x16x5 that has an internal frame and I would let it go for less money(900) but it does have some staining on it. Just look at new tents that size. You will probably only find 10 oz canvas...24oz sounds pretty high and would be extremely heavy. I would think they are probably 14.2 oz like mine and friends of mine have(pioneer brand) Tent frame will cost about 500+ to make a 4 truss frame. $25. for each angle from a tent shop and then enough 1 inch EMT for poles. Take me about 30 min. to set up by myself. Plus more time if I stake it down and put the wood heater in.

6.5 shooter
01-07-2019, 08:27 PM
$1000.00 is a reasonable price for each tent with internal frame. I have a 14x16x5 that has an internal frame and I would let it go for less money(900) but it does have some staining on it. Just look at new tents that size. You will probably only find 10 oz canvas...24oz sounds pretty high and would be extremely heavy. I would think they are probably 14.2 oz like mine and friends of mine have(pioneer brand) Tent frame will cost about 500+ to make a 4 truss frame. $25. for each angle from a tent shop and then enough 1 inch EMT for poles. Take me about 30 min. to set up by myself. Plus more time if I stake it down and put the wood heater in.

I am thinking your right on the 14.2 oz. canvas. I did look up prices before I posted and all I could find were 10 canvas and I knew it was heavier. I will set the tent up to be sure on stains etc.
This is the reason I posted you folks have been there, done that. I have not so really appreciate the feed back.

wolfman403
01-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Well my 14x16 with 5 foot porch and 5 foot walls from deluxe wall tents is 2800$ with the internal frame, tarp for roof, tarp for floor, and the cold weather windows. So if you can make a deal for all of his stuff and the stove you’ll be doing good. If there’s anything in the bulk purchase you don’t need sell it and make some money back.