PDA

View Full Version : Thieving lowlifes in Fort McMurray

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2019, 07:37 PM
A very nice man from here bought a generator from me which my son took to Ft Mac for delivery.
He parked the truck up tight to the garage so nobody could open the tailgate, and in the morning someone had cut the chain off the generator, but was apparently too much of a little girl to lift it over the side happily.
1 day, less than 12 hours in town and scumbags almost cost me well over half a grand. The nice person on the forum had already paid me for it, I would have had to reimburse.
Guess we are going to have to upgrade to Gr 10 chain for future endeavors.
and apparently the saying has to be changed to 'Double Lock with uncuttable chain, or lose it.'

He did not have the rear facing camera setup, the tape fell off in the cold weather. Bad timing.

chris762
01-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Glad they didn't get the genny.....I know crime is getting worse.

1shotwade
01-07-2019, 07:51 PM
I know here in Spruce Grove if you back a truck into a driveway and its in a fairly hidden spot, you are going to get a few looks into your box!! Last summer I left some questionable mixed gas in some old jerry cans labeled " premium"!!! Gosh darn thieves took em!!:scared0015:

timbertom
01-07-2019, 07:52 PM
scumbags, never worked or earned an honest dollar in their life.

Talking moose
01-07-2019, 08:10 PM
I know here in Spruce Grove if you back a truck into a driveway and its in a fairly hidden spot, you are going to get a few looks into your box!! Last summer I left some questionable mixed gas in some old jerry cans labeled " premium"!!! Gosh darn thieves took em!!:scared0015:

Backing trucks up against barriers is theivery 101 rule. That truck has something valuable it screams. Tough call..... make it harder to steal or make it more of a target.

Ken07AOVette
01-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Backing trucks up against barriers is theivery 101 rule. That truck has something valuable it screams. Tough call..... make it harder to steal or make it more of a target.

No doubt, trouble is the generator was taller than the box sides, it was very visible no matter how he parked. If he had driven up to the garage door the generator would be gone and I would be out a bunch of cash. He did it right. Like I said the meth head weeny could not lift it over the box side.

averagejoe
01-07-2019, 11:02 PM
If you want to go REALLY heavy duty (and make that grade 10 chain look like baling wire) there are some nice 22mm security chains out there. A wee bit spendy but it takes a few minutes with a grinder to cut through both sides of the chain with it held in a vice. Absolutely no quiet way of cutting it.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=63

And just to give you an idea of the size of the chain and lock... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2dDQFtAgNc

Not something you are going to find at the local corner store.

Flight01
01-08-2019, 12:59 AM
Scum bags is right.

If they were trying to get that Genny up and over the side they would need 3 of me to accomplish that feat.
Two guys from tailgate height is easy ... two guys going over the side would be tricky. Glad they gave up.

On a side note
Gen is sitting in the garage now. Gearing up for an oil change new plug and fresh gas.

Thanks again

jm12
01-08-2019, 01:04 AM
Scumbags are used to it..Dirty Dirty Money

Hilgy
01-08-2019, 07:39 AM

This is actually a good idea. We quite often have contaminated diesel at work we dispose of. I think I'll start filling a couple old jerry cans with it and set them beside my shed where my other ones that got stolen used to sit. I'll add a couple of my own "performance" adds to the fuel and see what happens.

It will bring a smile to my face knowing some d-bag is struggling to get his truck running. The cost of the jerry cans is well worth the payoff if just one piece of crap craters a motor.

58thecat
01-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Glad they didn't get the genny.....I know crime is getting worse.

Yup when you need a fix.....scumbags will do anything for the buck.

jcrayford
01-08-2019, 10:49 AM
This is actually a good idea. We quite often have contaminated diesel at work we dispose of. I think I'll start filling a couple old jerry cans with it and set them beside my shed where my other ones that got stolen used to sit. I'll add a couple of my own "performance" adds to the fuel and see what happens.

It will bring a smile to my face knowing some d-bag is struggling to get his truck running. The cost of the jerry cans is well worth the payoff if just one piece of crap craters a motor.

I'd be careful with this course of action. They may return and grab the next one and set something ablaze.... Like your shed / house.

Just a second thought.

Ken, glad to hear that the transaction went through with only a minor hiccup.

J.

buckbrush
01-08-2019, 02:17 PM
The thieves know about the back in thing? That's always been my technique when I have to stay in hotels for work...Guess I will have to come up with something new.

I have also had to lug heavy carbide mills and drill bits into my hotel room before.

Glad you didn't lose your gen. and I agree if that truck was pulled in it would have been slid out and gone.

Might have to mount my fencer to the box rails and tailgate...

Sooner
01-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Glad they didn't get the Generator.

It is scary to think just how many eyes are out there scooping for the next score.

I was getting tires from CT and a guy beside me was telling us how he has "energized" his suv when it is parked, touch it and get a shock. I asked if he hooked up a electric fence type system but he smiled and would not answer the question. I wonder if that can be done without screwing with the vehicles electronics.

HoytCRX32
01-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Are there motion sensor strobes on the market? Light the area up like a disco! would certainly bring attention to the place...Not only would it confuse them, but could also be set up with a camera. Just spitballing.

Afterthought...have a super loud track of "Staying Alive" go with the lights:sHa_shakeshout:

Spooner
01-08-2019, 11:23 PM
Never cry wolf

Ken07AOVette
01-09-2019, 08:49 AM
never cry wolf

pui?

Diesel_wiesel
01-09-2019, 09:42 AM

when I was young and still living on the farm north of Nojack
in the fall we used to set out , an old tidy tank out by a gate and that had more sugar and diesel then gasoline in it , 25 or 30 gallons, we always found the thieving culprits, a few miles down the road, never failed,
an old guy in the area one time set up a bear trap at his fuel tanks, that was in the early 60's caught one of the local thugs that hung around the Nojack bar, that guy almost lost his right foot over 5 gallons of gasoline , he still walks with a bad limp, but has stated he has never entered a yard after dark since

happy honker
01-09-2019, 10:23 AM
The thieves know about the back in thing? That's always been my technique when I have to stay in hotels for work...Guess I will have to come up with something new.

I have also had to lug heavy carbide mills and drill bits into my hotel room before.

Glad you didn't lose your gen. and I agree if that truck was pulled in it would have been slid out and gone.

Might have to mount my fencer to the box rails and tailgate...

Ditto.
I stay in hotels for work a lot (on my way to one right now!) and try like heck to get a room with a door to the outside where it's easier for me to load gear into my room. I hate when you get back at days end and find someone parked right in front of your door.

Anyway, I never leave ANYTHING in my truck anymore. No matter how tired I am or how much of a pain it is, it always goes up to the room. Even if it's a worthless bag of work clothes or boots, up it goes because the darn thieves will smash in just to see what it is.
It's a pain because I'm extremely lazy, lol, and the last thing I want to do at the end or beginning of a long day is make 3 trips from a 4th-floor hotel room with all that gear.
But...gotta be done....beats calling in telling someone all your gear just got stolen.

Hilgy
01-09-2019, 11:26 AM
when I was young and still living on the farm north of Nojack
in the fall we used to set out , an old tidy tank out by a gate and that had more sugar and diesel then gasoline in it , 25 or 30 gallons, we always found the thieving culprits, a few miles down the road, never failed,
an old guy in the area one time set up a bear trap at his fuel tanks, that was in the early 60's caught one of the local thugs that hung around the Nojack bar, that guy almost lost his right foot over 5 gallons of gasoline , he still walks with a bad limp, but has stated he has never entered a yard after dark since

I'm actually thinking of planting a couple "bear boards" in the snow around the jerry cans. I'm thinking most of these dbags don't have steel shank boots on when they are out doing dbag stuff. Then you could find the dude with a limp.