PDA

View Full Version : Guilty

Talking moose
01-08-2019, 11:27 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/jaskirat-sidhu-pleads-guilty-humboldt-broncos-1.4969739

Scott N
01-08-2019, 11:29 AM
It won't bring anyone back, but hopefully a guilty plea will help the families start to heal.

Talking moose
01-08-2019, 11:32 AM
I’m actually surprised at the plea.

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Hopefully the company pleads guilty or is found guilty, and it helps to force the trucking companies to operate more safely, and prevent another incident like this from occurring.

Trochu
01-08-2019, 11:38 AM
From what I understand of the situation, it was likely the hard, but right thing to do. It will likely go a long way when it comes time to his sentencing.

bobtodrick
01-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Give him a lot of credit for this.
Who here at some point in their life hasn't blown through a stop sign? Whether due to tiredness or plain inattention...pretty sure we've all done it.
We were just lucky enough not for it to have had such tragic consequences.
Pretty sure I wouldn't want to live with the quilt he feels.

Benelli1
01-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Give him a lot of credit for this.
Who here at some point in their life hasn't blown through a stop sign? Whether due to tiredness or plain inattention...pretty sure we've all done it.
We were just lucky enough not for it to have had such tragic consequences.
Pretty sure I wouldn't want to live with the quilt he feels.

^^^^
This

Joe Black
01-08-2019, 01:42 PM
him taking responsibility, i feel, will go along way in helping the families heal

Ronji
01-08-2019, 02:12 PM
It was good to see him own up and not try to fight his charges. (against his lawyers wishes I'm sure)
It will help in starting the healing process for the families.

Jamie
01-08-2019, 03:14 PM
I am hopeful that all this allows for some healing on all sides (Including the driver) Great first step down a very long road.

Sounds like he full out blew through the intersection. Bus driver had the breaks locked up for 26 Meters. Semi was going close to 100 KM per hour.

I do hope everyone can find a way to move forward here.

Rig-Rat
01-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Good on him, saves the families a lot of unnecessary grief going through a court battle for him trying to save his hide. I am sure that will be reflected in the sentencing. Him sitting in jail for a billion years isn't going to bring anyone back.

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 03:32 PM
He is likely counting on getting lighter sentences as a result. But his guilty pleas are good for everyone involved.

pikergolf
01-08-2019, 07:07 PM
He is likely counting on getting lighter sentences as a result. But his guilty pleas are good for everyone involved.
Really? Maybe he is just remorseful.

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 07:11 PM

I would think that he is, but if he feels that he would be found guilty anyways, why not save legal fees and hope for a lighter sentence by pleading guilty?

JD848
01-08-2019, 07:18 PM

I think this will haunt this guy for the rest of his day and yes I think he is remorseful and saving a pile of people more grief from endless hours of court days with every thing being a bad reminder of the whole scene.

sgill808
01-08-2019, 07:34 PM

It doesnt matter what he does, some people will just spin it negatively. I'm sure we all know why too.

Talking moose
01-08-2019, 07:48 PM

Both.

Bush Critter
01-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Hopefully they don’t make a scapegoat out of this guy. Sure he was at fault, but accidents don’t just happen. They are a sequence of events that attributed to this tragedy. Like links in a chain but this chain was made up of a series of week links, the driver of the truck was just one of those links, it is far to easy to get a driving license in this country a class 1 license should be viewed and treated like an apprenticeship instead anyone that has the hours and passes the test can have one. The intersection in question was the site of past tragedies and there was not enough done to midi gate the learnings from those tragedies.

Fish along
01-08-2019, 08:09 PM
A very bad story indeed,the fact that he is pleading guilty will save grieving families from having any more turmoil than they already have.It will be interesting see now what the verdict will be.

Jamie
01-08-2019, 08:21 PM
A very bad story indeed,the fact that he is pleading guilty will save grieving families from having any more turmoil than they already have.It will be interesting see now what the verdict will be.

Based on the evidence it was a slam dunk.

Jamie
01-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Hopefully they don’t make a scapegoat out of this guy. Sure he was at fault, but accidents don’t just happen. They are a sequence of events that attributed to this tragedy. Like links in a chain but this chain was made up of a series of week links, the driver of the truck was just one of those links, it is far to easy to get a driving license in this country a class 1 license should be viewed and treated like an apprenticeship instead anyone that has the hours and passes the test can have one. The intersection in question was the site of past tragedies and there was not enough done to midi gate the learnings from those tragedies.

He blew through the stop sign doing close to 100KM per hour.
Lots of stop signs. He owns this. He knows it. The only other thing is driver fatigue that might have come into play. He had no obvious distractions. No cell, no texting.

liar
01-08-2019, 08:40 PM
after some of the posts and comments lately about trying to weasel out of a traffic ticket it refreshing to hear of someone willing to stand up and take responsibility for his actions . some people should maybe sit up and take notice.

horrible , horrible story and hopefully this helps with the healing process for everyone involved .