PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tank Build

Hamsnacks
01-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Curious if anyone on this forum builds fish tanks and stands?
If they do both glass and acrylic and what they typically charge for?

Thanks

1cuz1
01-08-2019, 04:43 PM
I had a 400g built, its for sale if interested

Hamsnacks
01-08-2019, 05:12 PM
I had a 400g built, its for sale if interested

Sent you a PM

340 wby
01-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Where you located

:shark:

Hamsnacks
01-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Where you located

:shark:

Edmonton, probably should of stated that with my first post.

Hamsnacks
01-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Maybe I should ask if anyone has a 200+ Gallon tank setup with sump they want to sell as well, instead of building one.

Trochu
01-09-2019, 11:31 AM
If you haven't looked, there are some pretty big ones for sale on Kijiji. At least a handful of 200+ gallon tanks in the Edmonton area alone.

Kristopher10
01-09-2019, 05:32 PM
If you haven't looked, there are some pretty big ones for sale on Kijiji. At least a handful of 200+ gallon tanks in the Edmonton area alone.

I can attest to this. I have a friend who is heavily into fish tanks. I have helped move 5 or 6 200G+ tanks in the last year. Dang things are heavy.

does it ALL outdoors
01-10-2019, 02:30 AM
Definitely buy used and re silicone it with Dow RTV sillycone.

General rule of thumb when buying used is a buck a gallon for a bone dry used tank and goes up with accessories like filteration, lighting and stand.

Check Kijiji even better Alberta Aquatica's buy and sell section, some great prices there and the membership takes Aquariums VERY seriously if you ever need help with anything. Careful though, Kijiji has a lot of people that think they go up in value and ask WAY too much.

The Aquarium Club Of Edmonton (ACE) has a semi annual auction in the spring and fall but there's not many big tanks going through there but a great place for fish and live plants.

If you want new Concept Aquariums prices are hard to beat, that's where a lot of aquarium stores get their's made. Check Riverfront Aquariums in Calgary also.

If your new to Aquariums be careful, it's addictive & before you know it you will have tanks everywhere. At one point I had 43 tanks going when I was breeding African Chiclids.

does it ALL outdoors
01-10-2019, 02:35 AM
I can attest to this. I have a friend who is heavily into fish tanks. I have helped move 5 or 6 200G+ tanks in the last year. Dang things are heavy.

That's where an appliance dolly pays for itself in spades.

When you jump from a 120 to a 150 or bigger the glass thickness usually jumps dramatically.

They can be a real PITA to move if they have flat bottoms vs recessed bottom glass giving you a 2" or so lip to grip from

Sooner
01-10-2019, 09:44 AM
When I had fish, the tanks for sale on the Bargain Finder were many and tons of options. Bargain Finder? how old am i lol.

I would search Kijiji before trying to build one unless it's something you always wanted to do. You will get not only a tank but all the goodies usually.

Now I want one again

Trochu
01-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Check Kijiji even better Alberta Aquatica's buy and sell section.......

That site's pretty quite these days.

Hamsnacks
01-11-2019, 02:48 AM
Sorry don't know how I didn't see all these messages.

Thanks for all the responses, I ended up finding a dream tank of mine for a great price from a member on here, now the challenge is getting it safely out of his house from Lethbridge into Edmonton. I posted a new thread asking if anyone had some advice or recommendations, would of just asked on here but I thought there were no responses for some reason.

Fish tanks are the worst to move lol, they're so heavy! But once they're in their place and ready to get set up, it's all worth it.

hillbillyreefer
01-11-2019, 10:35 AM
A guy I know hired a professional moving company to move his 4x4x2 frag tank a couple of times. That way their insurance covered it if they dropped it. The first move was only about 50’ from his garage to the basement, about 8 steps on the stairs.

Is your tank going to be salt or fresh? CanReef is a pretty good site for salty rock boxes(it’s also quieter than the old days) Alberta Aquatica used to be really busy, but is pretty quiet ATM.

Does it ALL outdoors, is there a date for the ACE spring auction set yet? I haven’t been up to it for years, I’d enjoy going again.

sirmike68
01-12-2019, 11:51 AM
I you are going freshwater I have a 10" plecostomaus for you. I have had him for 10 years all alone in a 80 gal tank. His buddies died off years ago and I'm waiting for him to croak so I can be done with fish tanks. I think he might out live me. I can deliver him.:)

Hamsnacks
01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
I you are going freshwater I have a 10" plecostomaus for you. I have had him for 10 years all alone in a 80 gal tank. His buddies died off years ago and I'm waiting for him to croak so I can be done with fish tanks. I think he might out live me. I can deliver him.:)

Haha I stay away from the common pleco, that should not be allowed to be sold at stores the way it does. They get huge, and no one has room for them, and they live forever lol. I'm happy with my bristlenose.

burbotman
01-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Haha I stay away from the common pleco, that should not be allowed to be sold at stores the way it does. They get huge, and no one has room for them, and they live forever lol. I'm happy with my bristlenose.

Agree with your comments on the common Pleco. What stock are you planning for the tank?

I have been running freshwater for the past 20 years. 180g with 15 various polypteroids ranging from 10" to 23.5"

Hamsnacks
01-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Agree with your comments on the common Pleco. What stock are you planning for the tank?

I have been running freshwater for the past 20 years. 180g with 15 various polypteroids ranging from 10" to 23.5"

Yeah and the best part is how they tell people it's a cleaner fish, no it's not and as they get bigger then produce way more than they "clean"

That sounds like an awesome tank, guess your only choice is large fish then or else they'd get eaten.
I'm currently running a 125g planted community tank, mostly Barbs, Tetras, corys, some rainbowfish as well. Want to go bigger and increase all their numbers and have more plants as well.

SammyS778
02-04-2019, 07:14 AM
Both glass and acrylic ones have its pros as well as cons. Acrylic scratches easily so as an urchin lover you probably wouldn't see me with one lol. But acrylic is also way lighter. However under strong lights I don't think acrylic is good for a very long time. I am personally a glass fan, but it's mostly because I tend to get stuff that will scratch it lol. More info here (https://www.titanaquaticexhibits.com/glass-vs-acrylic-aquariums-fish-tanks/)

Okotok
02-04-2019, 07:23 AM
Both glass and acrylic ones have its pros as well as cons. Acrylic scratches easily so as an urchin lover you probably wouldn't see me with one lol. But acrylic is also way lighter. However under strong lights I don't think acrylic is good for a very long time. I am personally a glass fan, but it's mostly because I tend to get stuff that will scratch it lol. More info here (https://www.titanaquaticexhibits.com/glass-vs-acrylic-aquariums-fish-tanks/)

Just keep the Mantis shrimp out of the glass ones! :)

Nikanit
02-04-2019, 11:50 AM
I own a 100 gallon tank that I bought for 200 bucks with a custom built stand. Arcylic is lighter but need a special frame for them as they flex, can yellow up over time, and more visual distortion. They can also stain up when using medications
https://www.customaquariums.com/information/glass-vs-acrylic-aquariums.html.